CRSC CALCULATOR

So I did my numbers about 6 months ago and it all correct but i seem to have some sort of mental block to help my wife do hers. Thanks in advance for the help
High 3: $2675
DOD: 60%
VA: 100%
CRSC: 100%
Years: 6yrs 11mo

So I did my numbers about 6 months ago and it all correct but i seem to have some sort of mental block to help my wife do hers. Thanks in advance for the help
High 3: $2675
DOD: 60%
VA: 100%
CRSC: 100%
Years: 6yrs 11mo
Hello @Theheadache

We would be happy to assist you.

Using the limited info your provided, here is a rough estimate:

A. The retired pay is : 2675 x 60% = 1605. It will be reduced by the amount of the VA compensation. Zero retired pay remains.
B. 6.92 AD x 2.5% = 17.3%
C. 2675 x 17.3% = 462.78 longevity portion of retired pay AND maximum CRSC
This will likely be close unless some of your reported figures such as Active Duty Equivalent or high three changes.

=======================
The following is needed for someone to accurately compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing. Example: My average high three is 3000
2.--DoD disability percentage
3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members which is total creditable points divided by 360) The active duty equivalent can be found on the retirement orders, first page 3/4 down, under "Disability Retirement"
4. --VA compensation
percentage
;
and
amount;
and
dependents by category;
and
and ages of dependent children.
and
Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive.

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.
6.--Whether you qualify for another type retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system
7.--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment?

Ron

Last edited:
I guess I am just not getting this or something I was medically retired at 13 years 11 months

High pay $3,196
DOD 70%
VA 100%
CRSC 100%

13 years 11 months

I guess I am just not getting this or something I was medically retired at 13 years 11 months

High pay $3,196
DOD 70%
VA 100%
CRSC 100%

13 years 11 months
As shown in one of posts preceding yours...

The following is needed for someone to accurately compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing. Example: My average high three is 3000
3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members which is total creditable points divided by 360) The active duty equivalent can be found on the retirement orders, first page 3/4 down, under "Disability Retirement"
4. --VA compensation
percentage
;
and
amount;
and
dependents by category;
and
and

6.--Whether you qualify for another type retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system

Ron

Addendum for @grantboy4

You said:

High pay $3,196 (is this the total of your highest 36 months divided by 36?) If you are receiving retired pay (even if it is waived), what is the gross on your DFAS RAS?
DOD 70%
VA 100% (What are the categories of dependents and ages?)
CRSC 100%

13 years 11 months (is this active duty or active duty equivalent?) Your retirement orders will show your AD equivalent on page one, 3/4 down on first page, as "Disability Retirement"

Did you accept the blended retirement plan?

Ron

high pay yes
DOD
VA 100% with 2 kids 12 and 8 divorced

13 years and 11 months active

medically retired

high pay yes 3,196
DOD 70%
VA 100% with 2 kids 12 and 8 divorced
13 years and 11 months active
medically retired
Here is an estimate based on the information you provided.

1. 3196 high three average base pay x 70% = 2237 retired pay
2. Retired pay is reduced to zero due to the amount of VA comp (i.e., more than the retired pay)—approved CRSC 100%
3. 13 years 11 months AD: 13.916 x 2.5% = 34.79%
4. 3196 x 34.79% = 1111.89 longevity portion of your retired pay based on the info you provided
5. CRSC in this scenario is 1111.89

Ron

Last edited:
Having a slight discussion with someone. My understanding of CRSC is you do NOT have to be retired to awarded it as long as you meet the requirements. Is this accurate?

Having a slight discussion with someone. My understanding of CRSC is you do NOT have to be retired to awarded it as long as you meet the requirements. Is this accurate?
One of the primary requirements is that the individual IS RETIRED.

CRSC replaces waived retired pay. If there is no retired pay to begin with...it is impossible to receive CRSC.

Ron

Just got my CRSC decision letter, would appreciate an assist in estimating the amount.

1.—Gross retired pay: $4366
2.—DoD disability: 70%
3. – Active duty years and months: 13y 3mo
4. – VA compensation: 100%; married, 2 kids; $3538
5.— Approved CRSC percentage: 70%
6.—Blended Retirement
7.—No redux/bonus
8.—Opted for Blended

Just got my CRSC decision letter, would appreciate an assist in estimating the amount.

1.—Gross retired pay: $4366
2.—DoD disability: 70%
3. – Active duty years and months: 13y 3mo
4. – VA compensation: 100%; married, 2 kids; $3538
5.— Approved CRSC percentage: 70%
6.—Blended Retirement
7.—No redux/bonus
8.—Opted for Blended
Hello @byaspenjr

My internet is down so using my cell phone.

You will receive all your VA comp.

You will receive 828 residual retired pay.
You will also receive 825 CRSC.
Total from DFAS = 1653 which is the same amount as the longevity portion of your retired pay using 2% for Blended Ret

Numbers rounded in some cases.

I will post the numbers used in the computation tomorrow after ATT fixes our connection.

Ron

Edited to add:
4366/70% = 6237 high three
4366 minus 3538 VA = 828 residual
13.25 AD x 2% = 26.5% longevity multiplier
6237 x 26.5% = 1653 longevity portion of retired pay
1653 minus 828 residual = 825 CRSC
825 CRSC + 828 residual = 1653 longevity

The combination of residual ret pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Thank you for the quick - and precise - response. Now that my PEB journey is complete, I will be dropping off this net. This forum, together with the USSOCOM Care Coalition folks were my only real source of counsel, information, and support through the opaque Army PEB/med retirement process. Thanks to RonG and the other moderators who keep this forum going - keep up the good work.

Not sure if this is where to ask but I am at 16 years in service and pending results from the PEB. Proposed VA ratings are 100% and I assume the DoD rating will be the same because the VA only rated what was sent to the PEB. I am eligible for TERA but trying to figure out if it is better to take disability retirement.

From what I understand, taking TERA makes me eligible for CRDP. This means I'd get a pension from the service and the VA benefit.

Taking disability retirement would require me to take DoD disability retirement pay or VA disability pay (whichever is higher) and would make me ineligible for CRDP.

I also understand both routes make me eligible for CRSC if combat related disabilities are approved by the service. my rated injuries/illnesses occurred in a combat zone so I assume 100% for CRSC.

Retirement if I take TERA: $2,050.20 = ($5,341.67 * ((192/12) *.025) *.96000)

If I take TERA and receive CRDP my monthly pay would be $2,050.20 (taxed) plus the VA disability of $,3,711.83 (not taxed) correct?

Retirement if I take disability retirement: $4,006.25 = ($5,341.67 * 75%) - is this taxed? Not eligible for CRDP

I would receive disability retirement instead of VA benefit because disability retirement is higher that VA correct?

What would my monthly total be if I took Medical retirement and received 100% CRSC?
What would my monthly total be if I took TERA and received 100% CRSC in place of CRDP?

Thanks in advance for the help

Not sure if this is where to ask but I am at 16 years in service and pending results from the PEB. Proposed VA ratings are 100% and I assume the DoD rating will be the same because the VA only rated what was sent to the PEB. I am eligible for TERA but trying to figure out if it is better to take disability retirement.

From what I understand, taking TERA makes me eligible for CRDP. This means I'd get a pension from the service and the VA benefit.

Taking disability retirement would require me to take DoD disability retirement pay or VA disability pay (whichever is higher) and would make me ineligible for CRDP.

I also understand both routes make me eligible for CRSC if combat related disabilities are approved by the service. my rated injuries/illnesses occurred in a combat zone so I assume 100% for CRSC.

Retirement if I take TERA: $2,050.20 = ($5,341.67 * ((192/12) *.025) *.96000)

If I take TERA and receive CRDP my monthly pay would be $2,050.20 (taxed) plus the VA disability of $,3,711.83 (not taxed) correct?

Retirement if I take disability retirement: $4,006.25 = ($5,341.67 * 75%) - is this taxed? Not eligible for CRDP

I would receive disability retirement instead of VA benefit because disability retirement is higher that VA correct?

What would my monthly total be if I took Medical retirement and received 100% CRSC?
What would my monthly total be if I took TERA and received 100% CRSC in place of CRDP?

Thanks in advance for the help
I waiting for my Internet connection to be repaired. Two answers.

You: “I would receive disability retirement instead of VA benefit because disability retirement is higher that VA correct?”

Reply: No. Recommend you select to receive VA compensation regardless of “higher”. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

You would keep any retired pay that exceeds the VA offset/reduction/waiver. Plus…you can apply for CRSC if eligible which replaces some or all of the retired pay “lost”. The combination of residual retired pay (left over) and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

CRSC: Please provide answers to all the requested information shown in the link under my signature block. Request the info be provided in one reply. Include your projected CRSC approval percentage.

CRSC for a CH 61 retiree cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Your DoD will not necessarily be the same as the VA rating. Opinion: Most are not.

Ron

edited to add:
CRSC Estimate

The following is needed for someone to compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing.
3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members which is total creditable points divided by 360)
4. --VA compensation
percentage;
amount;
dependents by category;
8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option?

I waiting for my Internet connection to be repaired. Two answe.

You: “I would receive disability retirement instead of VA benefit because disability retirement is higher that VA correct?”

Reply: No. Recommend you select to receive VA compensation regardless of “higher”. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

You would keep any retired pay that exceeds the VA offset/reduction/waiver. Plus…you can apply for CRSC if eligible which replaces some or all of the retired pay “lost”. The combination of residual retired pay (left over) and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

CRSC: Please provide answers to all the requested information shown in the link under my signature block. Request the info be provided in one reply. Include your projected CRSC approval percentage.

CRSC for a CH 61 retiree cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Your DoD will not necessarily be the same as the VA rating. Opinion: Most are not.

Ron

edited to add:
CRSC Estimate

The following is needed for someone to compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing.
3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members which is total creditable points divided by 360)
4. --VA compensation
percentage;
amount;
dependents by category;
8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option?

Fully understand that DoD might not be 100%. My VA claim only included the conditions referred to the PEB. My proposed VA rating is 100% so I make the assumption that DoD will be 100% if all my referred conditions are found to be unfitting. Also, all claimed conditions should be eligible for CRSC so I make the assumption that CRSC would be 100%

Does the dollar for dollar reduction in retirement pay only apply disability retirement pay? My projected disability retirement pay is $4,006.25 while my projected VA compensation is $3,711.83. With the dollar for dollar reduction would I receive $3,711.83 (not taxed) from the VA and $294.41 from DoD (taxed). Still a monthly total of $4,006.20 but most of it being tax exempt.

How would the math work out if I do TERA and receive CRDP? My projected retirement pay with TERA is $2,050.20. My understanding is that I would receive the full VA Benefit of $3,711.83(not taxed) and my full retirement of $2,050.20 (taxed) for a monthly total of $5,761.83 Is this correct?

I thought I had included the information needed for CRSC calculations. sorry for leaving it out. Here it is.

1. High-3: $5,341.67
2. DoD disability percentage: 100% (projected)
3. Active duty years and months: 16 years 0 months
4. VA: 100%, $3,711.83 (spouse & 4 kids under 18)
5. Projected CRSC: 100%
6. Whether you qualify for another type retirement: Qualify for TERA - not sure if this is what you mean by other type of retirement.
7. No REDUX/CSB payment
8. No BRS

Hello @JoeUSMC ,

Comments added to some of your paragraphs.

You said:

Fully understand that DoD might not be 100%. My VA claim only included the conditions referred to the PEB. My proposed VA rating is 100% so I make the assumption that DoD will be 100% if all my referred conditions are found to be unfitting. Also, all claimed conditions should be eligible for CRSC so I make the assumption that CRSC would be 100%

Does the dollar for dollar reduction in retirement pay only apply disability retirement pay? My projected disability retirement pay is $4,006.25 while my projected VA compensation is $3,711.83. With the dollar for dollar reduction would I receive $3,711.83 (not taxed) from the VA and $294.41 from DoD (taxed). Still a monthly total of $4,006.20 but most of it being tax exempt. COMMENT ADDED: The total amount of your retired pay is reduced by the amount of your VA compensation. Using your figures and computation, you would receive 294.41 from DFAS and 3711.83 from the VA each month.

How would the math work out if I do TERA and receive CRDP? My projected retirement pay with TERA is $2,050.20. My understanding is that I would receive the full VA Benefit of $3,711.83(not taxed) and my full retirement of $2,050.20 (taxed) for a monthly total of $5,761.83 Is this correct? COMMENT ADDED: If you chose TERA instead of the medical retirement and the amount of retired pay is 2050.20 (your computation), you would receive 2050.20 from DFAS as CRDP (taxed) plus your 3711.83 VA compensation.

I thought I had included the information needed for CRSC calculations. sorry for leaving it out. Here it is.

1. High-3: $5,341.67
2. DoD disability percentage: 100% (projected)
3. Active duty years and months: 16 years 0 months
4. VA: 100%, $3,711.83 (spouse & 4 kids under 18)
5. Projected CRSC: 100%
6. Whether you qualify for another type retirement: Qualify for TERA - not sure if this is what you mean by other type of retirement.
7. No REDUX/CSB payment
8. No BRS

COMMENTS ADDED FOR CRSC:
Re: "My projected disability retirement pay is $4,006.25 while my projected VA compensation is $3,711.83. With the dollar for dollar reduction would I receive $3,711.83 (not taxed) from the VA and $294.41 from DoD (taxed)"

1. 16 years AD x 2.5% = 40% longevity multiplier
2. 5341.67 high three x 40% = 2136.67 longevity portion of retired pay
3. CRSC at 100% = 3711.83 (but ceiling is longevity portion of retired pay)
4. 2136.67 minus 294.41 residual retired pay = 1842.26 CRSC amount payable
5. DFAS will pay each month: 294.41 residual retired pay plus 1842.26 CRSC = 2136.67 from DFAS (VA comp is paid by VA of course)

Note: Where computations were provided by the individual concerned, those computations were used within the remarks made here.

Is it taxable? See Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > manage > taxes > isittaxable <---LINK to DFAS

Ron

Thank you for your contribution. I ran a couple of simple scenarios through it and the results were accurate. I was curious how it treated residual retired pay and that type case was accurate as well; however, it did not show that the retiree also retains the residual retired pay (plus the CRSC) nor does it address the limitation that the combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. The math was correct; the lack of an explanation might result in questions.

Perhaps, that could be addressed in your accompanying YouTube narrative.

Will you be available to answer questions concerning the mechanics of the calculator?

Nice job...

Ron
Hey there. I don’t know how any of this works. I was just wondering if you could help me figure out what I can expect from crsc