CRSC cap amount

Marshal

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all, I was medicaly discharged and initially received a 30% rating for my ptsd. apparently complaining to my psychiatrist prompted him to encourage me to apply for an increase and after it was all said and done I received a 70% rating. my dod retirement is 909 based on the 30% rating and the VA waived 699 because I had a total of 40% disability. the CRSC that I was awarded was 276 and I think my high 3 average was about 1200.

After the 70% was awarded, I was informed by DFAS that there was a cap limit of 486 on CRSC, but using the calculator I found someplace, it should be in the ~900ish range.

I sent a request to the Army Human Resource Command to do an audit so they will see my new rating of 70%, and it will take them at least 6 months to get it done. I am currently getting 486 from DFAS for CRSC, and I'm not sure if I want to request an audit from them because it will take them like 6 months as well, and the two audits might come up with conflicting information or something. I'm not sure what to think or do.

Any clarification or additional information would be appreciated.

I am a retired veteran (over 22 years) with a retirement check of $2100. I'm also 100% VA rated with $3000 a month also. I was informed by DFAS through phone conversation that I qualify for CRSC (10% combat-related disability). I'm already eligible and receive CRDP. I applied for CRSC based on the fact that the lady told me I would receive more compensation w/CRSC. Here's my question...will I still retain my $3000 a month disability from the VA and my retirement check increase is approved for CRSC? Is CRSC in addition to what I'm already receiving. Thanks for any guidance...

I am a retired veteran (over 22 years) with a retirement check of $2100. I'm also 100% VA rated with $3000 a month also. I was informed by DFAS through phone conversation that I qualify for CRSC (10% combat-related disability). I'm already eligible and receive CRDP. I applied for CRSC based on the fact that the lady told me I would receive more compensation w/CRSC. Here's my question...will I still retain my $3000 a month disability from the VA and my retirement check increase is approved for CRSC? Is CRSC in addition to what I'm already receiving. Thanks for any guidance...

You will keep your full $2100 and a portion of that will be tax free due to the CRSC

You will keep your full $2100 and a portion of that will be tax free due to the CRSC
gsfowler...cool however, what about the VA compensation. I guess what I'm specifically asking is will my compensations increase or did I make a mistake and possibly lose money? B/c if so, I'm calling DFAS first thing Monday morning to cancel my claim...LOL

gsfowler...cool however, what about the VA compensation. I guess what I'm specifically asking is will my compensations increase or did I make a mistake and possibly lose money? B/c if so, I'm calling DFAS first thing Monday morning to cancel my claim...LOL

No, the VA will not change. CRSC will only apply if it is more advantageous.

No, the VA will not change. CRSC will only apply if it is more advantageous.
gsfowler..so why would it even be considered by the VA? B/c it seems that my rating for CRSC compensation would be at a pay of 10% (understanding that I can only claim 10% CRSC disability b/c that's my only combat-related disability out of 100% service-connected rating, so says the VA).

DFAS calculates the most advantageous method for the medically retired member. In some cases CRSC is not more advantageous a CRDP. I'm 30% CRSC, but in my case CRDP is more advantageous.

is there a crsc cap? the U.S. Army Human resource command did an audit and sent their information to dfas, now dfas has done their audit and is saying my crsc amount isn't changing despite the disability rate increase.

Marshal,

What was the process/address to get your rotating corrected? I am in the same boat. IDES rating at 50% later increased by VA to 70% a year after retirement, but my Army retirement is still based on the old number.

Thanks for any help!

my question was just for crsc, I'm not sure the actual retirement amount can change, if it could that would be great because I'm sure mine would go up as well, but I think it's set in stone.

DFAS calculates the most advantageous method for the medically retired member. In some cases CRSC is not more advantageous a CRDP. I'm 30% CRSC, but in my case CRDP is more advantageous.
Ron do you keep both medical retirement (CRDP) and your VA compensation, I don't qualify for CRSC, I recently signed my 199 awaiting my exit from service

Ron do you keep both medical retirement (CRDP) and your VA compensation, I don't qualify for CRSC, I recently signed my 199 awaiting my exit from service
Hello,

Yes, most definitely, you receive CRDP and VA compensation simultaneously.

However, your CRDP will not be the full amount of your disability retirement pay. CRDP will restore only the longevity portion of waived retired pay. Any retired pay lost that is in excess of the longevity is not restored by CRDP.

This is probably unnecessary since you likely saw it, but here are some example figures from yesterday:

Using the 60% DoD disability percentage you mentioned, the following would occur.

1. Example 5500 high-three x 0.60 = 3300 retired pay
2. 3300 retired pay reduced by amount of VA compensation 3,279.22 (veteran & spouse example) = 20.78 residual retired pay (i.e., left over)
3. Since you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement and also have a VA rating of 50% or more, you are eligible for CRDP. CRDP is computed as I showed for a normal reserve retirement in the preceding paragraph. The example amount of the reserve retirement (and longevity) is 2292.40.
4. 2292.40 longevity portion of retired pay minus 20.78 residual retired pay = 2271.62 CRDP
5. You would receive in this example:
a. 20.78 plus 2271.62 = 2292.40 paid by DFAS
b. 3279.22 VA Compensation (example amount)

Ron