CRSC Consideration--Matthew MICKEY

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I med boarded with over 20 year tis 70 dod/100 va. the va said I get smc. I am not sure what the va waiver is. What does the va waiver mean and how can I tell how much I will make per month? Also does it look correct to you?

20 years was all active duty and I was med boarded 70%dod 100% va smc combat related and I am really unsure how to do this so my high 3 and all that is 5894 then you do the smb and it is 5500 this va waiver brings the pay down to 3800. So I get 3800 for my retirement?then va compensation?
Reply by RonG

1. What SMC do you receive? SMC-S and SMC-K are the most common. The VA pays SMC, not DFAS.
2. Have you applied for CRSC and if so, what was the percentage approved? The application would have been sent to the CRSC Board of your service. It is separate from the stuff you did in the PEB/MEB.
3. Here is my interpretation of the DFAS statement:

894 is the Gross Pay
The gross is reduced by the amount of VA compensation.
CRDP allows for restoration of the retired pay except for 1684 (which was not covered by the longevity)
After SBP is deducted, your net pay is about 3826
You also will receive all your VA compensation

Attachments​

• Screenshot_20230304_075417_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
CRSC will not increase the amount you receive from DFAS, but if approved at 100%, all your retired pay will be nontaxable.

The DFAS summary did not show federal tax withheld; therefore, your CRDP "as is" appears to be nontaxable.

Ron

@RonG he caught me on FB before you posted this, pretty much what I told him, chances are, however, that's his 70% DoD and once the VA actually kicks in, he'll switch over to 50% traditional retirement + 100% VA which may or may not be higher than his 70% DoD depending on taxes (I'm presuming that the 70% is all non-taxable as he said the PEB gave him combat-related).

@RonG he caught me on FB before you posted this, pretty much what I told him, chances are, however, that's his 70% DoD and once the VA actually kicks in, he'll switch over to 50% traditional retirement + 100% VA which may or may not be higher than his 70% DoD depending on taxes (I'm presuming that the 70% is all non-taxable as he said the PEB gave him combat-related).
Hello @RetiredColonel-MikeT

1. I have no problem with veterans who want others to assist after first visiting with me.

2. He is not a reservist, but a 20 good years reservist can retire with a disability retirement and DoD multiplier and upon reaching the age requirement, the retiree can apply for a non-regular retirement and still use the DOD multiplier. The combination of residual retired pay and CRDP cannot exceed the longevity amount. This retiree qualifies for immediate CRDP.

3. This retiree received a Disability Retirement but he also qualifies for CRDP having 20 AD and VA =>50%. I was unable to gather all the info I needed to complete my analysis, but I suspect he is already receiving CRDP (I did not get a chance to ask him for the info on page two of his RAS). Since his DFAS info shows an amount less than the amount of VA comp as the offset, I suspect the offset is the difference between the CRDP covered amount and the full offset.

4. Thank you for your help.

5. I am going to discontinue answering other retirees‘ pay questions via PM; it is too confusing when working 2-3 cases simultaneously. They should post in an open forum where others can benefit from the discussion.

Ron

cc: @Provis

Last edited:
Hello @RetiredColonel-MikeT

1. I have no problem with veterans who want others to assist after first visiting with me.

2. He is not a reservist, but a 20 good years reservist can retire with a disability retirement and DoD multiplier and upon reaching the age requirement, the retiree can apply for a non-regular retirement and still use the DOD multiplier. The combination of residual retired pay and CRDP cannot exceed the longevity amount. This retiree qualifies for immediate CRDP.

3. This retiree received a Disability Retirement but he also qualifies for CRDP having 20 AD and VA =>50%. I was unable to gather all the info I needed to complete my analysis, but I suspect he is already receiving CRDP (I did not get a chance to ask him for the info on page two of his RAS). Since his DFAS info shows an amount less than the amount of VA comp as the offset, I suspect the offset is the difference between the CRDP covered amount and the full offset.

4. Thank you for your help.

5. I am going to discontinue answering other retirees‘ pay questions via PM; it is too confusing when working 2-3 cases simultaneously. They should post in an open forum where others can benefit from the discussion.

Ron

cc: @Provis

I found this odd as well, esp considering he's 100% VA. My only thought was the numbers should be switched so that the "offset" is actually his DoD residual and the DoD amount would be his VA - something doesn't smell right, hopefully in a month or two at the most it'll all get straightened out and we'll see the true numbers of CRDP. I guess we'll really see at the end of this month in the new eRAS.

#4 - and thank you for your help as well!
#5 - agreed, my friend!

I found this odd as well, esp considering he's 100% VA. My only thought was the numbers should be switched so that the "offset" is actually his DoD residual and the DoD amount would be his VA - something doesn't smell right, hopefully in a month or two at the most it'll all get straightened out and we'll see the true numbers of CRDP. I guess we'll really see at the end of this month in the new eRAS.

#4 - and thank you for your help as well!
#5 - agreed, my friend!
If his current pay includes CRDP, the answer will be on page two of his DFAS RAS in the comments section. It will state the amount of CRDP/

Ron