CRSC, DOD, VA Why am I getting so much money

Bhawk

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

I’m trying to understand something because CRSC is so confusing.

-discharged chapter 61 Army reserves with 22 years of service and a 20 year letter
-total points 4138 which is 11.5 x2.5 years of service its 28.75%.
-DOD 90%
-VA 100% plus SMC-k $4,335
-High 3 final avg 7065

I’m about to apply for CRSC because most of not all of my injuries qualify way above 100%

A few weeks ago I submitted the VA waiver and it just reflected in DFAS as an RAS change which reflect the following:

-Gross DOD pay $5,298 (75% of my final avg, max allowed by law)

-VA Waiver $4,335 (deducted from DOD pay)

-Net Pay $963

So far I understand the above.

My question is why are they granting me $5298 as a reservist. Should it not be the 28.75% that’s comes from the 11.5 years of service. In that case my DOD pay would max out at $2,030 using the high 3 of 7065 and the VA Waiver should consume it and bring my DOD to zero will CRSC brings me back to $2,030

Or will CRSC cap that to $2,030 when I apply ?From what I understand I should never get the combo of DOD and CRSC more than the time of service which is $2,030.

Even if it’s a DFAS error and they max me out at like $9,000 a month which is 75% DOD and VA 100% I want to correct it now. I don’t want to owe DFAS thousands of dollars later on.

Any input would be appreciated

Please excuse any grammatical errors, I’m using my I phone.

Thanks

Hello all,

-discharged chapter 61 Army reserves with 22 years of service and a 20 year letter
-DOD 90%
-High 3 final avg 7065

I’m about to apply for CRSC because most of not all of my injuries qualify way above 100%

A few weeks ago I submitted the VA waiver and it just reflected in DFAS as an RAS change which reflect the following:

-Net Pay $963

My question is why are they granting me $5298 as a reservist. Should it not be the 28.75% that’s comes from the 11.5 years of service. In that case my DOD pay would max out at $2,030 using the high 3 of 7065 and the VA Waiver should consume it and bring my DOD to zero will CRSC brings me back to $2,030

Or will CRSC cap that to $2,030 when I apply ?From what I understand I should never get the combo of DOD and CRSC more than the time of service which is $2,030.

Even if it’s a DFAS error and they max me out at like $9,000 a month which is 75% DOD and VA 100% I want to correct it now. I don’t want to owe DFAS thousands of dollars later on.

Thanks
You get the higher of the 2 between your DOD% & your longevity. The reason your amount is so high is that 90% DOD = 75% of your high 3. 75% is max allowed by law.

Take 75% and multiply it by your High 3 and you will see it matches. Then your VA Waiver there is some leftover. The most you can get by law is the combination of your longevity + VA compensation. So if $5298 is higher than longevity + VA compensation you are maxed out. It looks like you are not. I will attach a CRSC calculator below to show what your CRSC cap is. That is the most you can get from CRSC though it can be less if your CRSC rating isn't high enough to max you out. CRSC compensation matches VA disability payouts so you can check out a VA compensation calculator. Since you said you should max out CRSC this should not be an issue.
HIGH 3 PAY
7065​
DOD DISABILITY PERCENTAGE
75​
CRSC AWARD*(DOLLAR AMOUNT)
4300​
YEARSMONTHS
TIME OF SERVICE
11​
6​
MONTHLY V.A. PAY
4335​
CRSC PAY
1067.44​
RESIDUAL RETIRED PAY
963.75​
TOTAL FROM DFAS
2031.19​
Total Pay
6366.19​

Hello all,

-DOD 90%
-High 3 final avg 7065

-Net Pay $963

Thanks
It looks like you have about 1k left on the table compared to longevity + VA disability due to current VA offset. CRSC will be capped at that amount.

So when CRSC kicks in, assuming I get the max, it will be the one to place the limit of $2,030 based on my 11.5 year longevity calculated out of my final 3 avg. so I won’t be making like 9k lol.

I understand now, I’m almost done with the application.

Thanks

So when CRSC kicks in, assuming I get the max, it will be the one to place the limit of $2,030 based on my 11.5 year longevity calculated out of my final 3 avg. so I won’t be making like 9k lol.

I understand now, I’m almost done with the application.

Thanks
Max pay from all sources will be $6,366.19 which is the same total if you combined your longevity pension earned + VA compensation:)

If you're concerned with how much you're getting, you can send some my way ;) lol - @Provis nailed it, it's because your DoD disability retirement is significantly higher than just your USAR retirement alone. Not to mention I'll go out on a limb and state that you're probably not even close to 60. How long until you hit 60? Also, are you eligible for early reserve retirement?

Last edited:
If you're concerned with how much you're getting, you can send some my way ;) lol - @Provis nailed it, it's because your DoD disability retirement is significantly higher than just your USAR retirement alone. Not to mention I'll go out on a limb and state that you're probably not even close to 60. How long until you hit 60? Also, are you eligible for early reserve retirement?
Thanks for the reply. Im about to be 41 and i have my 20 Year letter. I just submitted my CRSC application to the Army. Wondering how long they will take. the HRC website states 120 Business Days (6 Months).

Thanks for the reply. Im about to be 41 and i have my 20 Year letter. I just submitted my CRSC application to the Army. Wondering how long they will take. the HRC website states 120 Business Days (6 Months).
pretty much on the mark with that timeframe

Hello all,

-DOD 90%
-High 3 final avg 7065

-Net Pay $963

Thanks
It sounds like you're navigating a complex system, and your concern about potential overpayment is understandable. It might be beneficial to reach out directly to DFAS or a qualified advisor who can clarify your entitlements and ensure everything is processed correctly.
Hello all,

-DOD 90%
-High 3 final avg 7065

-Net Pay $963

Your situation with the DOD pay discrepancy raises valid concerns. While I'm not an expert in this area, it sounds like seeking clarification from DFAS or consulting with a knowledgeable resource like ico-forums could be beneficial.

Thanks
It sounds like you're navigating a complex system, and your concern about potential overpayment is understandable. It might be beneficial to reach out directly to DFAS or a qualified advisor who can clarify your entitlements and ensure everything is processed correctly.