CRSC Estimate--A. Cox

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Information Provided.

Hi, I’m trying to calculate my CRSC amount and any retro CRSC payment. Can you please assist? I’ve read a lot of your comments to others.

VA - 100% PT
DOD - 70%
CRSC - 90% (Oct 19’)
Married with two children
Active Duty - 7 yrs, 5 mo, 7 days

Reply.

Basically, the following is what is needed for someone to compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing.
--DoD disability percentage
--Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members)
Note: Active duty equivalent for RC personnel is total points divided by 360. Your retirement orders probably show this as "Disability Retirement xx years xx month xx days"
--VA compensation percentage; amount; dependents by category; and ages of dependent children. Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive.
--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.
--Whether you qualify for another type retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system
--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment?

Ron

-Gross retired pay: $3,112 (waived for VA)
-DoD disability percentage 70%
-Disability Retiremen: 7yrs, 5mo, 7 days
-VA compensation: 100%; $3,492 (dependents under 18)
-CRSC Approved percentage: 90%
-No other retirement
-No REDUX/CSB payment

thanks!

-Gross retired pay: $3,112 (waived for VA)
-DoD disability percentage 70%
-Disability Retiremen: 7yrs, 5mo, 7 days
-VA compensation: 100%; $3,492 (dependents under 18)
-CRSC Approved percentage: 90%
-No other retirement
-No REDUX/CSB payment

thanks!
Hello,

Estimate based on your info.

1. 3112/0.70 = 4445.71 high three
2. Active duty 7.42 years (7 yrs 5 mo) x 0.025 = 18.55% longevity multipler
3. Retired pay reduced to zero by amount of VA comp
4. 4445.71 x 0.1855 = 824.68 longevity portion of retired pay--CRSC cannot exceed this amount
5. CRSC @ 90% is far more than item 4 amount

6. Your current CRSC is 824.68 based on the info you provided.

Ron

Your retroactive entitlement to CRSC should go back to the effective date shown in your CRSC approval. The first full month would be the initial month of entitlement.

Retired pay and therefore CRSC usually increase with COLA each December 1st. That is one of the reasons I do not compute retro CRSC.
One would have to do a separate computation for each year or back out of the current rate by the amount of the COLA increases.

If you want a rough estimate, multiply the figure I gave you by the total months in the retro period. That will be incorrect, but will provide a general idea.

Ron

Hello,

Estimate based on your info.

1. 3112/0.70 = 4445.71 high three
2. Active duty 7.42 years (7 yrs 5 mo) x 0.025 = 18.55% longevity multipler
3. Retired pay reduced to zero by amount of VA comp
4. 4445.71 x 0.1855 = 824.68 longevity portion of retired pay--CRSC cannot exceed this amount
5. CRSC @ 90% is far more than item 4 amount

6. Your current CRSC is 824.68 based on the info you provided.

Ron

Thanks Ron! I’ve read they retroactively pay CRSC, too. How is that determined and calculated?

Thanks,

Hello,

It is computed the same if all the factors are unchanged. There usually is a COLA increase each 1 December.

You might have missed this:

1. Your retroactive entitlement to CRSC should go back to the effective date shown in your CRSC approval. The first full month would be the initial month of entitlement.

2. Retired pay and therefore CRSC usually increase with COLA each December 1st. That is one of the reasons I do not compute retro CRSC.
One would have to do a separate computation for each year or back out of the current rate by the amount of the COLA increases.

3. If you want a rough estimate, multiply the figure I gave you by the total months in the retro period. That will be incorrect, but will provide a general idea.

Good luck,
Ron

Hello @acox ,

I have a few extra minutes.

Military retirees received a 1.6 percent increase to their retired pay beginning with the pay they received on January 1, 2020.

Your gross retired pay after the increase was 3112 per the information you provided.

3112 x 0.984 = 3062.21 old rate prior to 1 Dec 19
proof: 3062.21 x 1.016 = 3111.21 (off by 0.79 due to rounding)

3062 approximate old rate divided by 0.70 = 4374.29 high three in that year
4374.29 x 0.1855 = 811.43 longevity amount for the 12 months prior to 1 December 2019

Longevity and CRSC amount for 2020: 824.68
Longevity and CRSC amount for 2019: 811.43

As you can see, just using the current year CRSC (in your case) x number of months in retro period = rough amount of CRSC total

Ron