CRSC INPUT

julmarine

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello!!

I just received my ratings back from the VA. 100% VA 50% DOD. I’m planning on submitting a CRSC claim but on my VA paperwork it shows that none of my medical conditions were combat related. I do have plenty of evidence that shows some of my conditions were from combat (PTSD mainly) and I also have a Combat Action Badge as well. Does the condition need to have the combat code in order to receive CRSC?

Hello!!

I just received my ratings back from the VA. 100% VA 50% DOD. I’m planning on submitting a CRSC claim but on my VA paperwork it shows that none of my medical conditions were combat related. I do have plenty of evidence that shows some of my conditions were from combat (PTSD mainly) and I also have a Combat Action Badge as well. Does the condition need to have the combat code in order to receive CRSC?

Hello,

I have seen little that describes the internal processes of the CRSC boards.

Per DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63:

. Other Combat-Related Disabilities A combat-related disability is a disability with an assigned medical diagnosis code from the VASRD. The Military Departments will determine whether a disability is combat-related based on the following criteria: A. As a direct result of armed conflict, B. While engaged in hazardous service, C. In the performance of duty under conditions simulating war, or D. Through an instrumentality of war.

The Department [service] will record for each disability determined to be combat-related which of the circumstances provided qualifies the disability as combat-related. A determination of combatrelatedness (see section 6306) will be made with respect to each separate disability with an assigned medical diagnosis code from the VASRD. A retiree may have disabilities that are not combat-related. Such disabilities will not be considered in determining eligibility for CRSC or the amount of CRSC payable. An uncorroborated statement in a record that a disability is combatrelated will not, by itself, be considered determinative for purposes of meeting the combat-related standards for CRSC prescribed herein. CRSC determinations must be made on the basis of the program criteria.
[end of selected excerpt]
------------
VASRD: Veteran Affairs Schedule for Rating Disabilities

-----------------------------------
From Army CRSC web page:

[To Apply]

Step 1- Review CRSC eligibility criteria on the CRSC website: Combat Related Special Compensation CRSC Eligibility

Step 2- Gather Official Military, Medical, and VA documentation:
Send to CRSC copies of DD 214/215s, as well as All VA-rating decisions including the VA letter, the VA rating decisions and the VA code sheets, Medical Records from MTF or VA physicians only, unless referred to a private physician by the VA, other typical official documents include, service medical record extracts, military personnel file extracts, military personnel data system printouts, prior military disability board decisions, line of duty determinations, safety mishap (accident) reports, next of kin notification (Western Union Telegrams), casualty reports, morning reports, duty status reports, order/travel voucher, official documents not in the military personnel record, etc. Be sure to retain a copy for Soldier's records.

Step 3- Ensure medical records or documentation should show "HOW" the injury occurred

Step 4 - Obtain a claim form DD Form 2860Directives Division Select DD Forms and chose 2860.

Step 5 - Submit claim, along with all supporting documentation and medical records to:...
[end]
----------------

Comments:

I never submitted code sheets since I did not have them. However, my VA ratings clearly showed in the narratives which disabilities were combat related. In my case they were Agent Orange associated.

I have seen portions of certain regulations that suggest the CRSC boards interact with the VA at least occasionally. Perhaps they retrieve code sheets if not provided earlier.

Good luck,
Ron

Addendum.

The following is included in the CRSC resource posted by @chaplaincharlie last year:

"Note that while disability ratings by the Secretary of the Military Department, as of the date on which the member retired, may be used to help make determinations of whether the member meets Preliminary CRSC Criteria, the actual computation of CRSC amount (see section below -- Monthly Amount of CRSC) is based solely on VA disability determinations and the amount of VA compensation paid, without regard to any disability that is not combat related. Military retirement decisions may be used to determine whether such disabilities are combat-related."

Ron