CRSC PACT Act Processing

Came back for a follow up, I’m at 50 days since my back pay audit began and 36 days since my 1st CRSC payment - no backpay yet . I called DFAS today and got a customer service rep named Tiffany and not a VA retro pay rep. Waited 3 hours for my callback and all I got was it’s completed but being reviewed, couldn’t tell me my payment amount (even though I got that 2 weeks ago from a DFAS rep), and was told to call back when I hit 45 days / next week sigh. I’m going to give it until the 17th to do another call just to see if my AskDFAS inquiry I submitted today does anything.
v/r
Mike

Came back for a follow up, I’m at 50 days since my back pay audit began and 36 days since my 1st CRSC payment - no backpay yet . I called DFAS today and got a customer service rep named Tiffany and not a VA retro pay rep. Waited 3 hours for my callback and all I got was it’s completed but being reviewed, couldn’t tell me my payment amount (even though I got that 2 weeks ago from a DFAS rep), and was told to call back when I hit 45 days / next week sigh. I’m going to give it until the 17th to do another call just to see if my AskDFAS inquiry I submitted today does anything.
v/r
Mike
It took 60 days after my wife's first CRSC payment to get her retro CRSC pay. That seems to be the average.

That’s good to know, looking at it at least I have my CRSC monthly payment going already. It’s just frustrating from a quality control perspective with the DFAS reps and how each one states something different/is more helpful than the other ones and it’s should all be the same info and system lol. Like my call took 5 minutes with an actual person today to tell me call back next week vs 20 minutes with an actual person the last two calls and they looked at the audit process those times.

That’s good to know, looking at it at least I have my CRSC monthly payment going already. It’s just frustrating from a quality control perspective with the DFAS reps and how each one states something different/is more helpful than the other ones and it’s should all be the same info and system lol. Like my call took 5 minutes with an actual person today to tell me call back next week vs 20 minutes with an actual person the last two calls and they looked at the audit process those times.
My wife called at the 30 day mark. Only 1 call is really needed and its more to ensure that it is being worked on. My wife applied 2 months after medically retiring so she was only due 3 months of retro pay. 2 months came from CRSC. 1 came from the VA and that is because her first full month of getting a chapter 61 pension the VA stated they didn't do the offset due to the timing of everything. I was concerned that she was going to be screwed out of CRSC for that first month but was happily surprised to see that a week after getting 2 months of retro CRSC pay she got a random deposit from the VA for that first month where the VA should have paid her and offset her pension but didn't.

Decided to give DFAS another call on 24 July to follow up on my backpay audit since the representative last time suggested that. This time around they were extremely helpful, confirmed that my audit is done, confirmed the amount again, and is now in the “payroll queue” for final checks and release for payment. She gave a receive by date of August 15th which will put the whole process over the 90 day mark from when they received all of their documents to compute my backpay. I learned that this is the date they use to determine if there is a process issue or not and the date they can do an inquiry/expedite request. The lady also told me that due to getting 51 months of backpay, that the large amount due isn’t typical and is what caused the process to drag a bit. Oh well, we’ll see what happens in the next 3 weeks.

Got my backpay yesterday! No statement in Mypay so I guess that will follow at some point, but not really an issue at this point since it matched what they told me and what I had calculated.

@Hero939
Sent you a DM with a specific question. However, the entire process took you about 5 months from submission to retro payout, correct?

I was medically retired in 2012. 80 VA, 60 DoD, with 60 CRSC. They originally denied my asthma as CRSC in 2015 (which we all knew was due to exposure in combat just no way to proof it). Forward to 2023 with the PACT act, I sent in a reconsideration request last month and got the iPerms email. I am wondering if they will back pay me to the time I medically retired (and got my asthma diagnoses denied as CRSC).

I know the percentage bump will only be 10% to my CRSC pay (due to the percentage calculations), but that small amount multiplied by 136 months will be in the tens of thousands. Thoughts?

Even though we all know the asthma should have been compensated back when your CRSC started, they aren’t going to backpay you for the 136 months unfortunately, it’s going to be the 72 months at the 10% jump and there’s no way around it since it’s limited by a Congressional act/law.

Even though we all know the asthma should have been compensated back when your CRSC started, they aren’t going to backpay you for the 136 months unfortunately, it’s going to be the 72 months at the 10% jump and there’s no way around it since it’s limited by a Congressional act/law.
Hey sorry I didn’t reply directly to your DM but I will here.

It turns out that it will not be a 10% bump and in fact will be a 20% bump to CRSC, which is good. I have done a lot of research on the CRSC retro and seems to be a hot button right now with some lawsuits on the applicability of the 6-year statute and how it does not apply to CRSC BUT as it stands now, there will be a 6-year statute for me.

I submitted the reconsideration without much documentation since there was no new information other than a letter and the 12e form explaining my previous denial for CRSC re my Asthma diagnoses. Hope they have the forward thinking up there to look up my file using my SSN.

Hello @mhaynes15

You might be aware of this, but if not:

Generally, CRSC for CH 61 disability retirees with less than 20 years is the lesser of
—amount associated with the approved CRSC percentage
OR
—amount of longevity portion of retired pay

Ron

Edited to add:
Each CH 61 case involves these ceilings and other factors:

—Must be entitled to retired pay
—Agrees to waive retired pay in the amount of VA compensation received.
—CRSC cannot exceed the amount of the waived retired pay.
—CRSC cannot exceed the amount of the approved CRSC percentage (amt in VA Comp tables).
—CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
—CRSC when combined with residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity amount.

As one can see, more than one of the ceilings shown above could apply to the retiree. In those cases, the lesser amount is the CRSC

Last edited:
Hello @mhaynes15

You might be aware of this, but if not:

Generally, CRSC for CH 61 disability retirees with less than 20 years is the lesser of
—amount associated with the approved CRSC percentage
OR
—amount of longevity portion of retired pay

Ron

Edited to add:

—CRSC cannot exceed the amount of the approved CRSC percentage (amt in VA Comp tables).
—CRSC when combined with residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity amount.

As one can see, more than one of the ceilings shown above could apply to the retiree. In those cases, the lesser amount is the CRSC
As my original PEB and medical retirement was in July 2012, I haven’t really paid too much attention to those limitations. I have 7 years of service with 60% DoD disability retirement. I think, based on my calcs, I am maxed out based on my longevity (17.5%) at $552 a month CRSC. So, I guess it doesn’t matter if asthma gets CRSC qualified. Geez, I was hoping on a small pay day.

As my original PEB and medical retirement was in July 2012, I haven’t really paid too much attention to those limitations. I have 7 years of service with 60% DoD disability retirement. I think, based on my calcs, I am maxed out based on my longevity (17.5%) at $552 a month CRSC. So, I guess it doesn’t matter if asthma gets CRSC qualified. Geez, I was hoping on a small pay day.
Hello,

I am sorry the result is not what you expected. It is a complex computation of which many are unaware.

Good luck going forward.

Ron

I mentioned the following to the OP:

Ron