CRSC Payment Estimate Assistance

WalkingWarrant

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
All,
I am trying my best to compute this math and understand the CRSC calculation to better understand what my expected payment could be. Any assistanec would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36)
The Gross retired pay on my DFAS RAS will be $4,285.80.

1a.--Did you receive a DoD disability retirement (i.e., "Chapter 61")?
I did receive a DoD disability retirement (PDRL).

2.--DoD disability percentage
My DOD disability retirement percentage shown in my retirement orders was 80% rounded down to a maximum of 75%.

40%, 40%*, 20%* and 30%
*Bilateral Factor

3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members which is total creditable points divided by 360). Your retirement orders will show your active duty equivalent on page one, about 3/4 down the first page as “Disability Retirement”.
My active duty equivalent shown on my retirement orders was: 10 years and 4 days

4. --VA compensation (All of the following):
a. percentage: My VA Compensation percentage is 100%.
b. amount: The amount of my VA compensation is $3,146.42.

d. Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive. I do not receive any SMCs.

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.
My projected approved CRSC percentage will be 80% or 90%.

6.--Whether you qualify for another type of retirement. I do not also for a reserve retirement as I am on a Permanent Disability Retired List.

7.--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment?: I did not receive REDUX/CSB.

8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option? : No, I was not under the blended retirement program.

Walking Warrant,

Excellent.

Estimate.
1. 4,285.80/75% = 5714.40 high three
2. retired pay of 4285.80 minus 3,146.42 = 1139.38 residual retired pay you keep. This will impact the amount of CRSC
3. 10 years AD x 2.5% = 25% longevity multiplier
4. 5714.40 x 25% = 1428.60 longevity portion of retired pay
5. Even the 80% CRSC amount found in the VA comp tables is more than the longevity portion
6. Maximum CRSC 1428.60 minus 1139.38 residual = 289.22 CRSC payable

7. DFAS will pay 1139.38 residual retired pay
and 289.22 CRSC. Total: 1428.60 from DFAS
8. You will also receive your VA comp from the VA

Ron

Added comment.

CRSC when combined with residual retired pay for CH 61 retirees, cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

Thank you, Ron.

So, it is my understanding, I could expect the following as estimated monthly payments:

$3,146.42 – VA C&P
$1,139.38 – Residual Retirement Pay AKA Net Retire Pay Amount (Taxed)
$289.22 – CRSC Award

$4,575.02 – Total

I assume this means, my DOD Disability Retirement Pay with CRSC would be slightly less than my VA C&P + Residual Retirement + CRSC Award. Is that correct?

Thank you, Ron.

So, it is my understanding, I could expect the following as estimated monthly payments:

$3,146.42 – VA C&P
$289.22 – CRSC Award

$4,575.02 – Total

I assume this means, my DOD Disability Retirement Pay with CRSC would be slightly less than my VA C&P + Residual Retirement + CRSC Award. Is that correct?
Your Dod residual retired pay plus CRSC = Full longevity portion of retired pay

If you did not have any residual retired pay, your CRSC would be 1428.60, the longevity portion of retired pay

VA compensation stands alone.

How one adds their assets is unrelated to the computation of CRSC.

Good working with you; you made it easy.

Take care,
Ron

Hello @WalkingWarrant

I returned to review these comments again:
"So, it is my understanding, I could expect the following as estimated monthly payments:

$3,146.42 – VA C&P
$289.22 – CRSC Award

$4,575.02 – Total"

"I assume this means, my DOD Disability Retirement Pay with CRSC would be slightly less than my VA C&P + Residual Retirement + CRSC Award. Is that correct?"

----------------------------------------------
Remarks, 7 December 2021.
1. Your DoD Disability Retired Pay is reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received in accordance with current law.
2. You mentioned, "DOD Disability Retirement Pay with CRSC". Although residual retired pay is obviously DoD disability retired pay, it is necessary to differentiate "residual retired" and just "DoD Disability Retired Pay (pre-reduction). In this context, there is no CRSC with pre-reduction DoD Disability Retired Pay. CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay for combat related disabilities (i.e., VA offset for CR disabilities). Residual retired pay is the amount of retired pay remaining after the VA reduction/offset.
3. Your payments will include:
---two from DFAS; one will be shown on a DFAS RAS and the other on a DFAS CRSC statement. The total of these two payments = longevity portion of retired pay
--One from the VA for the full amount of your VA compensation.
4. You mentioned: "my VA C&P + Residual Retirement + CRSC Award." This is 3,146.42 for VA comp; plus 1139.38 (residual); plus 289.22 (CRSC)= 4597.02 total payments determined.
5. You also mentioned, " DOD Disability Retirement Pay with CRSC would be slightly less"--This is not pertinent because without the VA offset, there is no CRSC. The pre-reduction of DoD Disability Retired Pay will never be increased by an amount of CRSC...CRSC is not a bonus. However, just to complete the circle, 4,285.80 pre-reduction disability retired pay plus 289.22 CRSC = 4575.02

Finally, I guess I don't understand why you would ask the question:

"I assume this means, my DOD Disability Retirement Pay with CRSC would be slightly less than my VA C&P + Residual Retirement + CRSC Award. Is that correct?"
There is no relevancy between the two in my opinion.

Regards,
Ron