CRSC please help

steve-0

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

Can someone please help me and tell me how much my Combat pay will be? My CRSC has just been approved and my disability has increased to 100% and turned in to CRSC? I can't figure out how to calculate my CRSC. I have called DFAS several times, checked calculators, researched and each time I get a different answer. DFAS told me it would be another month until they do there computations. I'm nervous, I hear my pay will go up but I'm not sure anymore.

Here's my data

Retired Army Captain
22 years of service
6500 a month high 3
Wife and three minor dependents

I greatly appreciate your help and time,

Steve Marzolino

Steve,

Re: Estimate

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above and a computation will be provided.

Ron

Ron,

Ok I understand, sounds great,

I haven't been able to access my pay but I did look up my the last three years of service to get my high three. I would be fine using it until I can get access to the DFAS RAS.

1. High 3
2010=6,355
2011=6,444
2012=6,548
2013=6,559
estimated high 3=6,476

2. DOD
I am 100% DOD

3. YOS
21 years and 2 weeks of service

4. VA percentage
I am 100% VA- Spouse and two dependents, awaiting the VA to add my newborn, than it will be 3 children, I am currently receiving 2994 for spouse and two dependents

5. CRSC
CRSC is approved and rated at 100%

thank you

Steve

Hello everyone,

Can someone please help me and tell me how much my Combat pay will be? My CRSC has just been approved and my disability has increased to 100% and turned in to CRSC? I can't figure out how to calculate my CRSC. I have called DFAS several times, checked calculators, researched and each time I get a different answer. DFAS told me it would be another month until they do there computations. I'm nervous, I hear my pay will go up but I'm not sure anymore.

Here's my data

Retired Army Captain
22 years of service
6500 a month high 3
Wife and three minor dependents

I greatly appreciate your help and time,

Steve Marzolino

Here is a helpful tool:

DFAS Disability Retirement Pay Calculator

Steve,

Your info:

1. High 3
estimated high 3=6,476
2. DOD
I am 100% DOD
3. YOS
21 years and 2 weeks of service [this is inferred to be all AD]
4. VA percentage
I am 100% VA- Spouse and two dependents, awaiting the VA to add my newborn, than it will be 3 children, I am currently receiving 2994 for spouse and two dependents
[Note: The old rate (thru 30 Nov 18) for VA comp for Veteran with spouse and child + 2 additional children under 18 = ~3425]
5. CRSC
CRSC is approved and rated at 100% [= 3425 using rates of today]

Estimate:

1. 6476 x 75% = 4857 retired pay
2. 21 yrs of active duty x 2.5% = 52.5% multiplier
3. 6476 x 52.5% = 3400 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay
4. 4857 ret pay minus 3425 VA comp = 1432 residual retired pay
5. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay (or the CRSC rate, whichever is less) = 3400 longevity portion
6. CRSC 3400 minus 1432 residual retired pay = 1968 CRSC payable
7. Amounts received each month: 3425 VA comp + 1432 residual retired pay + 1968 CRSC = 6825

Note: As shown above, the amount of VA compensation affects the end result. I did not use the 100% rate you provided (2994 for spouse and 2 children) since I currently receive 100%, veteran alone = 2973.76

The VA rates effective 1 December 2018 were not used in the computation.

Ron

Ron,

Thank you for straightening things out. I had a VA rep tell me Im entitled to 100% of my retirement and full VA pay and that the disability pay calculator wouldn't work in my case.

I am owed back pay for 6 years, and at 1968 monthly CRSC, I guess that would be 146,448, Is this possible and how long will it take to pay? DFAS said January I should start seeing CRSC payments and February I should get the back pay. ANother rep said 3-6 months for back pay.

The truth is awesome, as my CRSC packet took 14 months and was denied because it was missing the 199, than I submitted it again and it took seven more months, So 21 months so far, Im really ready to receive payments.

thank you

Steve

Ron,

Thank you for straightening things out. I had a VA rep tell me Im entitled to 100% of my retirement and full VA pay and that the disability pay calculator wouldn't work in my case.

I am owed back pay for 6 years, and at 1968 monthly CRSC, I guess that would be 146,448, Is this possible and how long will it take to pay? DFAS said January I should start seeing CRSC payments and February I should get the back pay. ANother rep said 3-6 months for back pay.

The truth is awesome, as my CRSC packet took 14 months and was denied because it was missing the 199, than I submitted it again and it took seven more months, So 21 months so far, Im really ready to receive payments.
Hello Steve,

The maximum multiplier for retired pay is 75%, not 100%. I assumed you are a disability retiree, but also qualify for a regular retirement. Do you have a CH 61 retirement (disability)? If not, that will change the forecast I provided.

Ron
----
Added:
Note--CRSC replaces waived retired pay. If retired pay was not waived, there is no lost retired pay to replace. Additionally, if you have a regular retirement and were rated >=50% for VA purposes, you would have received CRDP for the retro period; consequently, CRSC would not be paid in that instance. Generally, retro CRSC takes 1-3 months; sometimes longer. There is no precise timeline.

IF you do not have a disability retirement (i.e., you have a regular retirement), the following will apply:

Your info:

1. High 3
estimated high 3=6,476
2. DOD
I am 100% DOD
3. YOS
21 years and 2 weeks of service [this is inferred to be all AD]
4. VA percentage
[Note: The old rate (thru 30 Nov 18) for VA comp for Veteran with spouse and child + 2 additional children under 18 = ~3425]
5. CRSC
CRSC is approved and rated at 100% [= 3425 using rates of today]

Estimate:

1. 21 yrs of active duty x 2.5% = 52.5% multiplier
2. 6476 x 52.5% = 3400 dollar amount retired pay
3. 3400 ret pay minus 3425 VA comp = zero residual retired pay
4. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of longevity retired pay (or the CRSC rate, whichever is less) = 3400 longevity retirement
5. CRSC 3400 minus zero residual retired pay = 3400 CRSC payable
6. Amounts received each month: 3425 VA comp + 3400 CRSC = 6825

Note: As shown above, the amount of VA compensation affects the end result. I did not use the 100% rate you provided (2994 for spouse and 2 children) since I currently receive 100%, veteran alone = 2973.76

The VA rates effective 1 December 2018 were not used in the computation.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron,

Yes I am Chapter 61 retired. Can you please clarify how the first calculation had CRSC at 1968 and the new one was 3400? The total pay would be the same for either CRSC amount, but the back pay would be very different. Back pay of 146,000 or 244,800. Sorry to ask you again, but can you tell me which one is true in my case?

thanks again,

Steve

Ron,

Yes I am Chapter 61 retired. Can you please clarify how the first calculation had CRSC at 1968 and the new one was 3400? The total pay would be the same for either CRSC amount, but the back pay would be very different. Back pay of 146,000 or 244,800. Sorry to ask you again, but can you tell me which one is true in my case?
thanks again,
Steve
The first computation is for a Chapter 61 retiree rated 100% by DoD and paid at the 75% maximum.

The second computation began with "IF you do not have a disability retirement" … which per your recent post, you do have a CH 61 retirement. Therefore, the second computation does not apply.

I never said you had $xxxx in backpay coming; I only provided the monthly rate. Since you seem to be eligible for CRDP, you might have received restoration of retired pay via CRDP (already). Page two of your DFAS RAS will show amount of CRDP paid each month, if any. Recommend you look at past RASs. If you were paid CRDP for the retro period, then there is nothing for CRSC to replace since you would received CRDP instead.

Neither CRSC or CRDP replaces or restores the waived disability pay portion of retired pay...only the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron,

Yes my mistake I jumped into it without reading the intro. As far as backpay it was an assumption I had, I assumed that once CRSC is determined it would than be back payed 6 years. With your calculations I receive 1580 more a month with 100% CRSC, which is great but it would be even better to also get back pay. Could I assume that if I am owed back pay it would be around 1580 a month, which is the increase from CRDP to CRSC?

thank you,

Steve

Ron,

Yes my mistake I jumped into it without reading the intro. As far as backpay it was an assumption I had, I assumed that once CRSC is determined it would than be back payed 6 years. With your calculations I receive 1580 more a month with 100% CRSC, which is great but it would be even better to also get back pay. Could I assume that if I am owed back pay it would be around 1580 a month, which is the increase from CRDP to CRSC?
thank you,
Steve
Here is a summary based on the information you have provided.
1. I assume since you mentioned CRDP, you have been receiving it.
2. Determining the maximum payable for a CH 61 disability retiree (CRDP & CRSC) who also qualifies for another retirement such as "regular" is somewhat similar, except CRSC has more limitations or requirements.
3. Facts for those qualified for both CRDP and CRSC (cannot be paid simultaneously):
--CRDP can be more than CRSC if the approved combat related disabilities are less than the rate for VA compensation
--CRSC can never be more than the amount computed for CRDP
4. If you already received CRDP for the retro period, you will not receive CRSC for the same period even though your approval document for CRSC shows a six year retro date. The military CRSC board is not aware, not should they be, of payments of CRDP. You possibly will have an opportunity to file amended tax returns for a few years (3 I believe).
5. Neither CRDP nor CRDP restores or replaces the waived portion of retired pay that is considered disability. It is limited to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay less any residual retired pay.

The more this case develops with additional information from you (some inferred), the more it appears you will have zero retro pay. That is certainly the case if you received CRDP.

I wish I had better news for you. Unfortunately, this type of situation is common.

Ron

Last edited:
Although I don't normally use the DFAS calculator for computations since the VA rates are wrong, I ran your numbers there and that computation came within $75 of my manual computation of:
1. 6476 x 75% = 4857 retired pay
2. 21 yrs of active duty x 2.5% = 52.5% multiplier
3. 6476 x 52.5% = 3400 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay
4. 4857 ret pay minus 3425 VA comp = 1432 residual retired pay
5. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay (or the CRSC rate, whichever is less) = 3400 longevity portion
6. CRSC 3400 minus 1432 residual retired pay = 1968 CRSC payable
7. Amounts received each month: 3425 VA comp + 1432 residual retired pay + 1968 CRSC = 6825
The difference was in the VA comp rate used in the DFAS calculator.

You might want to review the numbers used in my computation (items 1-7) and determine if the basis was either misinterpreted or was reported in error when initially given by you.

Ron