CRSC question

BlasphemousOne

PEB Forum Regular Member
All my current anxiety, PTSD, and panic disorder were a result of a TDY in afghanistan. What im confused on is I was not in AC, we were mortared and such but I am not sure if I'd be able to get this or not.

For CRSC you have to be directly involved in Combat. If you have further questions regarding this please contact the CRSC dept (210)565-1600

Well, not exactly. There are four categories:

As a direct result of
  • Combat
  • Training for Combat
  • Extrahazardous Duty
  • Instrumentality of War

Jason,

When and how do I apply for CRSC? I was injurred in an O-Course training accident. I'm just beginning the IDES process.

Wonder if anyone can answer this:

I was in Kuwait in 2005 supporting OIF. I was receiving hostile fire pay. My LOD points to a situation where I strained my back uploading an aircraft that was scheduled to fly a combat mission to deliver equipment to Iraq. Would the equipment and/or the aircraft I was loading be considered an instrumentality of war? Would this scenario provide a CRSC benefit? What if my rating was less than 30%, would CRSC even matter then?

I was in Kuwait in 2005 supporting OIF. I was receiving hostile fire pay. My LOD points to a situation where I strained my back uploading an aircraft that was scheduled to fly a combat mission to deliver equipment to Iraq. Would the equipment and/or the aircraft I was loading be considered an instrumentality of war? Would this scenario provide a CRSC benefit? What if my rating was less than 30%, would CRSC even matter then?

Bump - anyone have an insight here?

I'v been reading the CRS website. Can't get a good answer. How would I prove my injury was/may be combat related?

I have a ortho injury from 5 years ago from doing shipboard fire drills. I lived on motrin for a year then got a scope/limdu, got better. Laste year got worse, scope again/limdu now in the middle of my MEB/PEB (19 AD). In all my medical and VA appointments that is what I told them. There is no safety or mishap nor any reports when this first happened on the ship.

instrumentality of war is something that is unique to the military. for example, if a bulldozer ran over your foot, it would not be an instrumentality of war. civilians use bulldozers. however, a tank running over your foot WOULD be an instrumentality of war. it doesn't sound like loading a plane would be considered combat related.

I think that if it was just pallets of general items, without there being something military in character about them, then no....But, if it were something like ordinance/ammunition/weapons you were moving, then yes. Now if that is the case, proving this may be difficult.

I'v been reading the CRS website. Can't get a good answer. How would I prove my injury was/may be combat related?

I have a ortho injury from 5 years ago from doing shipboard fire drills. I lived on motrin for a year then got a scope/limdu, got better. Laste year got worse, scope again/limdu now in the middle of my MEB/PEB (19 AD). In all my medical and VA appointments that is what I told them. There is no safety or mishap nor any reports when this first happened on the ship.

This is an interesting one...part of me think that if you looked at it as "just fire drills" then probably not. However, if the drills were part of larger type of drill, like as part of General Quarters/Battle Stations, then I could see it being training for combat. Now, a separate issue would be whether your condition got worse later takes it out of being "caused" by the drill. You see this distinction most often between chronic and acute injuries.

Jason, this is interesting topic.

AFI 36-3212 states:

3.26.1. Armed Conflict. The PEB makes this determination only when the member incurred the physical defect or condition in the line of duty as a direct result of armed conflict and that defect or condition, standing alone, makes the member unfit. Mere presence in an area of armed conflict is not sufficient to support this finding. There must be a definite causal relationship between the armed conflict and the resulting unfitting disability

3.27.2.1.4. Instrumentality of War. In these cases, the law does not require that the disability be incurred during a period of war. Consequently, the PEB may make a favorable determination if the member incurred the disability during any period of service of such diverse causes as wounds caused by a military combat vehicle, injury or sickness caused by fumes, gases, or explosion of military ordnance, vehicles, or material.

It's been my understanding that the Air Force treats "combat related" to mean that the injury occurred as a result of "direct fire", and sometimes "indirect fire" (i.e., morter attacks). Therefore, its been my understanding that the troop who slipped and fell off the k-loader while loading pallets of ammunition onto a cargo aircraft would not have a "combat related" injury unless something such as the impact of an inbound morter or sniper bullet caused him to fall. Likewise, cumulative back and other orthopedic injuries as a result of wearing body armour and basic loads is not "combat related." This is despite the injuries occuring in a combat zone, supporting combat missions, and often while on the receiving end of enemy fire. Am I understanding this correctly? I think this may be where some of us get confused...there seems to be a fine line today between for those in combat support and support roles inside the combat zone.

remember, the directives that apply to the PEB don't apply to CRSC

Belle,

I am not sure if you are getting the distinction between combat-related (how it was incurred) and incurred in a combat zone (where it was incurred). Two different ideas/concepts and if you mix them up, then it is hard to not end up confused.