CRSC questions related to VA ratings

corey17a

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was an 11B for 15 years. 2 years in Iraq. I do have my CIB. I was medically retired PDRL. VA 90% and Army 50%. I applied for CRSC in March 2017. All my VA ratings said Gulf War related and in line of duty. Only my PTSD (50%) rating had a combat related in addition to gulf war related. I'm not sure why TBI (40%) did not have combat related on there.

What are my chances for CRSC based on the above information?

Was your TBI clearly documented as occurring during a period of deployment to the AOR?

Was your TBI clearly documented as occurring during a period of deployment to the AOR?
Yes. It was noted as LOD and gulf war related. All of my ratings said that except for TBI which was LOD and Gulf War and Combat Related.

It was noted in my Narsum and from the TBI clinic at Ft. Benning that the TBI was from deployment.

Yes. It was noted as LOD and gulf war related. All of my ratings said that except for PTSD which was LOD and Gulf War and Combat Related.

It was noted in my Narsum and from the TBI clinic at Ft. Benning that the TBI was from deployment.

Also I had a bunch of 10% ratings. Such as, breaking my left ankle on my last jump. Would these be counted as well because of being infantry? All of these lesser 10% ratings were deployment or hazardous duty or instrumentality of War related

Just having an LOD and being Gulf War related are not enough to get CRSC. Just being in theater doesn't mean combat related. There is section of these forums that is dedicated to CRSC. Check 'em out. There is a ton of good information there from folks that have gone through the process. I'm utilizing them to prepare my application now.

Just having an LOD and being Gulf War related are not enough to get CRSC. Just being in theater doesn't mean combat related. There is section of these forums that is dedicated to CRSC. Check 'em out. There is a ton of good information there from folks that have gone through the process. I'm utilizing them to prepare my application now.
I did have one rating that said combat related. My PTSD was rated Combat related by VA. My Narsum and eval at the TBI clinic at Fort Benning both said caused by IED exposure. PTSD was 50% VA and TBI was 40% VA. Although the VA rating did not list TBI as Combat related on my 199. Instead it said LOD/Gulf War related.

I would hope that my CIB and everything else on my DD214 would be taken into account. I read CIBs go along way with CRSC.

Also I had a rating for Gerd which was 30%. Which I read on another thread that digestive issues for those in theatre were counting towards CRSC.

Good luck with your packet. I read on the HRC website that processing time was at 180 Working Days. I put mine in in March. 180 Working Days puts a response time in the beginning of December. Hopefully it goes a little faster than that for both of us.

Appreciate the response and I'll pass on anything I find out to you on this thread. Best of luck to you.

I appreciate that. I have a couple more months before I'm officially out and can apply. I'm not counting it in my budget
though. Whatever I do get will just be bonus beer money...lol

Stay strong my friend. The light is at the end of the tunnel. Here is a piece of advice for you if you do not mind. Start applying for jobs if you have not started. It is the one thing I did not expect to be a problem when I retired. I was an Officer, I had two degrees, and I had been in the Army for 15 years. I can only imagine how hard things are for my soldiers getting out who do not have degrees or a title that is associated with authority.

Civilians shaking our hands and thanking us is a good thing. It does not translate into obtaining employment. People have no idea what you have done or what you are trained to do unless your employer was a Veteran. Being in the Army has proven to be more of an impediment than a benefit. Either people look at you like you might be crazy or they view you as tainted because of being in Combat. Of course this is not accurate. Civilians opinion of us is based entirely off the fiction that is put out in film and on TV.

USAJOBS and Veterans preference in hiring is a myth. Please share if you obtain work from that site. I have not had any luck and neither has any of my buddies.

I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway. I just wish someone had told me this when I was getting out. It would have saved me a bunch of disappointment and rabbit punches to morale. Good luck to you, congratulations on getting out, and be proactive now as far as finding work.

Also with CRSC, things are all over the place as far as stringency in proving a combat relation to injuries on this forum. I do not think guys are misleading on this thread but I do think standards are continually changing. I think criteria for approval today is much less stringent than it was three years ago.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...-prompt-resubmission-of-ptsd-claims/78537074/

Hopefully things go our way and CRSC works out. I have a family and work like I said has been hard to come by. CRSC would really help us out.

Yes the TBI clinic at Benning reviewed my medical records and wrote that I was exposed to an IED blast and lost consciousness. This written into my Narsum. It never specifically said on deployment. I would hope who ever looks at my claim can put one and one together between my dd214s and Narsum.

I also read on this forum that IBS was was being awarded as Combat related. I also have that on my 199 with Gulf War related.

Hopefully things go our way and CRSC works out. I have a family and work like I said has been hard to come by. CRSC would really help us out.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm in a bit of a unique situation. I have no dependents, no bills, and I've managed to save a lot over the years. I'm going to take some time off before I start looking for a job. Hopefully, with 2 graduate degrees and a few certifications, employment won't be an issue. If it is, I'll just live in my camper until it isn't.

Good luck to you and your family. I hope the right job finds you sooner rather than later :)