CRSC vs CRDP

Gh0st

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good day, all:

I was medically retired last year from the Army, after 21 years of active duty service. My question, what is the benefit of CSRC compared to CRDP? Is it ok to apply for CRSC since I have three medical issues as a result of combat deployments? Below is some information to look at:

- Married with 3 kids
- DoD 70%
- VA 100% P&T
- Waived $1400 from retirement pay to get full VA payment

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Good day, all:

I was medically retired last year from the Army, after 21 years of active duty service. My question, what is the benefit of CSRC compared to CRDP? Is it ok to apply for CRSC since I have three medical issues as a result of combat deployments? Below is some information to look at:

- Married with 3 kids
- DoD 70%
- VA 100% P&T
- Waived $1400 from retirement pay to get full VA payment

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Hello,

I assume you are already receiving CRDP based on the info you provided. Page 2 of your DFAS RAS will show the amount of CRDP you are receiving. You will never receive more from DFAS other than COLA increases. CRDP is the longevity portion of retired pay.
In most cases, CRDP is taxable.

CRSC is nontaxable and cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. It can be less. CRSC replaces waved retired pay for only combat related disabilities.

Rule of thumb:
—CRDP is best when not all your VA disabilities are approved as combat related.
—CRSC is best when all your VA disabilities are approved for CRSC.
Ron

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I always say apply. DFAS will always calculate the options and pay the member whatever nets the most money.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">