CSRC Back Pay

sadb14,

Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees is the lesser of

--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD retired pay
or
--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities. (Approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.)

Notes: Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor.
Residual retired pay after VA offset reduces the CRSC for CH 61 retirees.

You can request a copy of the audit from
Defense Finance and
Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Fax
Retired Pay: 800-469-6559
Ron

There is no way of dodging the wait times unless you call first thing when they open up and you get lucky. You can ask to speak to a tier two rep in regards to your crsc file.
Yup. Here I sit still waiting on my results. 8 months later. Called today and they will elevate the status of my audit to speed it up. Yup. Heard the same thing two months ago too.

UPDATE: So it has been a while since I replied, actually STARTED this thread. (I actually had to go back and read everything to get caught up). So here is how everything transpired. I submitted my CSRC paperwork, it was denied at first, because they needed some additional paperwork. I got that paperwork, and they sent me the follow-up standard, it will take a year ("please allow up to 12 months" was the exact wording), and they were TRUE to their word. So, I received my CSRC at that 12 month mark (actually 13 month since DFAS always pays in arrears).
From THERE, for the retroactive pay, they take anywhere from 60-90 days to do their audits. DFAS does their audit and THEN the VA does their audit. It WILL take the 60-90 days. So, if you are EXPECTING anything less than the 12 months as well as the retroactive pay, you ARE going to be disappointed.
HOWEVER, they are true to their word. At that 90 day mark (actually a little less), I had the retro pay in my account, which came in handy because I needed it for my move to my new state/job.
So, if you receive the letter, PLAN for the latest part of the letter (if it comes sooner, then you are going to be pleasantly surprised). If you plan on the SHORTER of the date range you are going to be disappointed. If you plan for the middle, then you are more than likely going to be disappointed as well, however it is POSSIBLE, that you MAY be surprised, but the chances of you being disappointed are better than surprised.
So, just settle in, wait for the lengthy timeline. Understand that when they give you a long timeline on the CSRC acceptance/review letter, they ARE going to take that long. You WILL NOT receive ANYTHING regarding the retroactive pay. It will NOT show up on your DFAS pay stub, you will not get anything saying that your retro pay is being audited, you will simply be retro paid when the 90 days is up (assuming that you are entitled).
The retro pay is going to go from the time of your initial award to the CSRC. So, for the most part, do NOT plan on anything greater.
The MORAL of the story, plan for the lengthiest of all timelines, and plan for the least amounts that you figure. THEN when you are awarded in a shorter time period, and you get MORE in your retro pay, then you will be MUCH happier. The ADDITIONAL MORAL is, BE PATIENT!!! As long as you are entitled, and have NOT received a denial, then you will get what is coming. The LAST MORAL is, if they send a denial, they (at least MY caseworker) will have you contact them, or they will send you something telling you what you need to do to make things happen. DO IT, ASAP. That way, the ball is back in their court (remember, it is going to take the 12 months, so the longer you delay, the longer it is going to take to get the money).
So, that is my lessons learned from the event.

Re: Twelve Months Army CRSC Processing

Per anecdotal evidence, the Army has a recent history of a ~12 month processing cycle. However, I have seen a few in recent months that were processed by the Army in the 2-4 month range. The reason for the accelerated processing is unknown to me.

My last CRSC application was in late December 2015 and it was approved early March 2016. I think the average processing cycle was six months at the time. The only aspect of my application that was “significant” was the recurrence of prostate cancer.

The advice to be patient is excellent...

Ron

So from the date I initially submitted my paperwork to now has been 15 months total. My paperwork was processed and completed in 8 months. 8 months later, still nothing on the backpay which will happen according to them.

So going with everyone saying it takes a year for it to process and complete, I am now 3 months overdue.

You can only be so patient after waiting on average an hour and a half for an answer on the phone and getting the same answer every time.

The DFAS processing time is separate from the CRSC application and approval cycle. Of course to the retiree it is a combined waiting period.

Occasionally, there is no retroactive CRSC. One must be in a retired status and have their retired pay reduced by the amount of VA compensation received each month. No waiver (reduction) of retired pay = no CRSC for that period. CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay due to receipt of VA compensation.

Some time ago you said, “Initially I collected my retirement pay until it was stopped due to receiving more from my VA Disability.”
Any period you did not have your retired pay reduced by VA compensation results in zero CRSC. I am not saying that occurred, just making a comment.

Good luck,
Ron

So I am trying to calculate my CSRC

H-3 approx 4500 (2641 retired pay)
E-8 when retired
60% mil
15yrs 11mo service
80% VA
50% CSRC
Married with 5 kids (all below 18)

I am assuming from what I saw above my CSRC is approximately 1140 but just wanted to see if I calculated right.

So I am trying to calculate my CSRC

H-3 approx 4500 (2641 retired pay)
E-8 when retired
60% mil
15yrs 11mo service
80% VA
50% CSRC
Married with 5 kids (all below 18)

I am assuming from what I saw above my CSRC is approximately 1140 but just wanted to see if I calculated right.
1. 4500 H3 x 0.60 = 2700 ...2641/0.60 = 4401.66
2. 15 yr 11 mo =15.92 ad yrs
3. 15.92 x 0.025 = 39.8% longevity multiplier
4. 4401.66 x 0.398 = ~1752 longevity portion of retirement pay
5. 80% VA = 1867.69 + (4@ 67) = 2135.89
6. Retired pay 2641 reduced by 2135.89 = 505.11 residual retired pay
7. CRSC 50% 1,026.36+ (4 @ 42)= about 1195
8. DFAS pays 505.11 residual retired pay + 1195 = 1700.11 Total from DFAS based on info you provided.

Ron

UPDATE: So it has been a while since I replied, actually STARTED this thread. (I actually had to go back and read everything to get caught up). So here is how everything transpired. I submitted my CSRC paperwork, it was denied at first, because they needed some additional paperwork. I got that paperwork, and they sent me the follow-up standard, it will take a year ("please allow up to 12 months" was the exact wording), and they were TRUE to their word. So, I received my CSRC at that 12 month mark (actually 13 month since DFAS always pays in arrears).
From THERE, for the retroactive pay, they take anywhere from 60-90 days to do their audits. DFAS does their audit and THEN the VA does their audit. It WILL take the 60-90 days. So, if you are EXPECTING anything less than the 12 months as well as the retroactive pay, you ARE going to be disappointed.
HOWEVER, they are true to their word. At that 90 day mark (actually a little less), I had the retro pay in my account, which came in handy because I needed it for my move to my new state/job.
So, if you receive the letter, PLAN for the latest part of the letter (if it comes sooner, then you are going to be pleasantly surprised). If you plan on the SHORTER of the date range you are going to be disappointed. If you plan for the middle, then you are more than likely going to be disappointed as well, however it is POSSIBLE, that you MAY be surprised, but the chances of you being disappointed are better than surprised.
So, just settle in, wait for the lengthy timeline. Understand that when they give you a long timeline on the CSRC acceptance/review letter, they ARE going to take that long. You WILL NOT receive ANYTHING regarding the retroactive pay. It will NOT show up on your DFAS pay stub, you will not get anything saying that your retro pay is being audited, you will simply be retro paid when the 90 days is up (assuming that you are entitled).
The retro pay is going to go from the time of your initial award to the CSRC. So, for the most part, do NOT plan on anything greater.
The MORAL of the story, plan for the lengthiest of all timelines, and plan for the least amounts that you figure. THEN when you are awarded in a shorter time period, and you get MORE in your retro pay, then you will be MUCH happier. The ADDITIONAL MORAL is, BE PATIENT!!! As long as you are entitled, and have NOT received a denial, then you will get what is coming. The LAST MORAL is, if they send a denial, they (at least MY caseworker) will have you contact them, or they will send you something telling you what you need to do to make things happen. DO IT, ASAP. That way, the ball is back in their court (remember, it is going to take the 12 months, so the longer you delay, the longer it is going to take to get the money).
So, that is my lessons learned from the event.
I’m in the final stages. Waiting for backpay is brutal. I called and was told waiting on signature. The wait is horrible.

Yup. Here I sit still waiting on my results. 8 months later. Called today and they will elevate the status of my audit to speed it up. Yup. Heard the same thing two months ago too.
We are going on 7 months waiting. Every time we call DFAS they give us a different date that they have 90-120 days from. First it was January6, then March 3, now we’re up to 120 days from May 13th. It is so frustrating.

We are going on 7 months waiting. Every time we call DFAS they give us a different date that they have 90-120 days from. First it was January6, then March 3, now we’re up to 120 days from May 13th. It is so frustrating.
I would have the same reaction under the circumstances you describe.

Comment.
Re: "...they give us a different date that they have 90-120 days from."

If I remember correctly, the 90-120 days was 30-60 (or 60-90) days at one time. None of those ranges are prescribed by law. They are internal (DFAS) boundaries or goals. In any case, they seem to be missing the targeted ranges.

I hope your spouse received the amount due soon.

Ron

I would have the same reaction under the circumstances you describe.

Comment.
Re: "...they give us a different date that they have 90-120 days from."

If I remember correctly, the 90-120 days was 30-60 (or 60-90) days at one time. None of those ranges are prescribed by law. They are internal (DFAS) boundaries or goals. In any case, they seem to be missing the targeted ranges.

I hope your spouse received the amount due soon.

Ron
In the original letter he received it said that any back pay due would be paid within 30-60 days. That letter was received end of November. He has actually reached out to our congressman.... so hopefully this will be over soon!

So from the date I initially submitted my paperwork to now has been 15 months total. My paperwork was processed and completed in 8 months. 8 months later, still nothing on the backpay which will happen according to them.

So going with everyone saying it takes a year for it to process and complete, I am now 3 months overdue.

You can only be so patient after waiting on average an hour and a half for an answer on the phone and getting the same answer every time.
Did you finally receive it??

I was told on July 15 my backpay was in payroll que? I decided not to call anymore. I’ll wait and just be surprised

I was told on July 15 my backpay was in payroll que? I decided not to call anymore. I’ll wait and just be surprised
Any luck on the backpay? I was told my audit was completed on July 16th anyone know I timeframe to get the back pay from this point?

Any luck on the backpay? I was told my audit was completed on July 16th anyone know I timeframe to get the back pay from this point?
In my opinion, there is no precise time frame for the payment processing.

If your audit was completed 16 July, I suspect you will be paid within 30 days. Trying to determine exactly when one will receive their payment is
similar to trying to determine the number of mosquitoes in Louisiana.

Good luck...I hope you receive your pay soon.

Ron

Just received CRSC Payment Letter Effective August 1 2019 with the total percentage amount awarded. My question is why does it not state the Back Pay/Retro Pay amount? Will a separate Letter be sent with this information? When I received the CRSC approval/award letter from HRC Department the effective date of CRSC Payment is JAN 1 2019 so that is 7 months of back pay. Hopefully the first deposit of CRSC is as stated on DFAS Letter. Will post if it is. As for the back pay does anyone else have this issue or still waiting on CRSC back pay?

Just received CRSC Payment Letter Effective August 1 2019 with the total percentage amount awarded. My question is why does it not state the Back Pay/Retro Pay amount? Will a separate Letter be sent with this information? When I received the CRSC approval/award letter from HRC Department the effective date of CRSC Payment is JAN 1 2019 so that is 7 months of back pay. Hopefully the first deposit of CRSC is as stated on DFAS Letter. Will post if it is. As for the back pay does anyone else have this issue or still waiting on CRSC back pay?
It has been several years since I received retroactive CRSC, but after the payment was made a copy of DFAS' retro computation was received. At the time, the format was not user-friendly (actually "not recipient-friendly").

Ron

Update on CRSC Payment. Received first payment today. As per DFAS should be reviving Backpay within 60 days of release of first payment, so they say. Break down of CRSC timeline:

Nov 2018 submitted CRSC application

Dec 2018 Denied due to not having VA Waiver in place

Jan 2019 Resubmitted Reconsideration CRSC application with VA Waiver in place

Jun 2019 Received Approval CRSC Letter; Award 70% (Effective CRSC Pay JAN 1 2019)

July 31 2019 First CRSC Payment deposited into account.

Was told by DFAS that Backpay will be released within six months of first payment received.

All in all took 10 months from first submitted to receive first CRSC Payment. Will update once receive CRSC Backpay.

First thanks to everyone great info on all the boards. Thumbs up to the moderators.

Hello this is my timeline for CRSC through the ARMY. I did fill out my own paperwork and send in which is pretty easy IF you follow the instructions and leave nothing on the form blank. Plus send in EXACTLY what the instructions tell you to. If notsure please get help and gets whats your and dont give up. DFAS determined that CRSC was better for me.

100% CRSC currently $2676 (retired pay before)
100% VA (effective Jun 2019) $3592.35 SMC

60% rating for CRSC (going back to the six year limit AUG 2013)
70% VA (six years ago at that time)

12 July 2019 Application Date

30 July 2019 Original Date

21 Aug 2019 CRSC approved

16 Sept 2019 DFAS (waived full retired pay)

23 SEP 2019 notice a pay form paperwork on HRC site but partial cut off but looks like my VA pay / retired pay that should have been waived i guess

1 Oct 2019 CRSC pay recieved. (which was my full retirement pay)

CRSC start date AUG 2013

retired in Feb 2010, E-8, at 21 years 11 months 15 days at 55% for high three regular army. At that time my VA was only 40 percent. 6 months later got to 50 percent.
I guessing audit going on to determine if I recieve backpay. What do you think? Will update if I recieve back pay. Also applied for ssdi waitng on that process.