DD215 changed TDRL to PDRL

MSGO22years

Registered Member
I was medically discharged through the IDES as TDRL with 100% from VA and 100% from Army. This is one of my claims from PTSD. I have 16 AD and 22 YOS. It has been 4 months since I actually retired after terminal leave. This past week I received a DD215 correcting my TDRL to PDRL.
Question: With this DD215 I know longer have to wait on a reeval? I am done with the Army? If it is a done deal, where do I go from here? DEERs? VA to update records?

I cannot find 1 single thing online about HRC changing a TDRL on a DD215 anywhere.
Please advise

Last edited:

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you are permanently retired you are not required to take any periodic reexaminations for the military. You may still have to for the VA though.

Sorry, can't answer your other questions.

MSGO22years

Registered Member
The VA requires re-evals? I have never heard of HRC creating a DD215 for PDRL. This means it was a mistake. All my docs from IDES state TDRL. Nothing seems to line up I guess.

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, the VA requires reevaluations if they believe that your condition may have changed. If they don't change your rating in (I think) 10 years it becomes permanent. But the VA is SUPPOSED to change your rating as your condition deteriorates or improves.

I've seen a lot of DD Forms 215 changing TDRL to permanent retirements. But those were based on our (ABCMR) correction. My guess is when the Physical Disability Agency (PDA) reviewed your PEB it changed your TDRL to PDRL because of your recommended rating. Normally, for ratings above 70 percent they will permanently retire someone.

MSGO22years

Registered Member
You said "our" so I will assume you are in the know on this.

So I am in the clear now. No ties to the Army, go along with my life now. This is a huge weight off my shoulders.

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, the VA requires reevaluations if they believe that your condition may have changed. If they don't change your rating in (I think) 10 years it becomes permanent. But the VA is SUPPOSED to change your rating as your condition deteriorates or improves.

I've seen a lot of DD Forms 215 changing TDRL to permanent retirements. But those were based on our (ABCMR) correction. My guess is when the Physical Disability Agency (PDA) reviewed your PEB it changed your TDRL to PDRL because of your recommended rating. Normally, for ratings above 70 percent they will permanently retire someone.
For the correction of information as annotated within the VASRD...

§3.951 Preservation of disability ratings.
(a) A readjustment to the Schedule for Rating Disabilities shall not be grounds for reduction of a disability rating in effect on the date of the readjustment unless medical evidence establishes that the disability to be evaluated has actually improved.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)
(b) A disability which has been continuously rated at or above any evaluation of disability for 20 or more years for compensation purposes under laws administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs will not be reduced to less than such evaluation except upon a showing that such rating was based on fraud. Likewise, a rating of permanent total disability for pension purposes which has been in force for 20 or more years will not be reduced except upon a showing that the rating was based on fraud. The 20-year period will be computed from the effective date of the evaluation to the effective date of reduction of evaluation.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 110)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Last edited:

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

For the validation of information as annotated within the VASRD...

§3.327 Reexaminations.
(a) General. Reexaminations, including periods of hospital observation, will be requested whenever VA determines there is a need to verify either the continued existence or the current severity of a disability. Generally, reexaminations will be required if it is likely that a disability has improved, or if evidence indicates there has been a material change in a disability or that the current rating may be incorrect. Individuals for whom reexaminations have been authorized and scheduled are required to report for such reexaminations. Paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section provide general guidelines for requesting reexaminations, but shall not be construed as limiting VA's authority to request reexaminations, or periods of hospital observation, at any time in order to ensure that a disability is accurately rated.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501)
(b) Compensation cases—(1) Scheduling reexaminations. Assignment of a prestabilization rating requires reexamination within the second 6 months period following separation from service. Following initial Department of Veterans Affairs examination, or any scheduled future or other examination, reexamination, if in order, will be scheduled within not less than 2 years nor more than 5 years within the judgment of the rating board, unless another time period is elsewhere specified.
(2) No periodic future examinations will be requested. In service-connected cases, no periodic reexamination will be scheduled: (i) When the disability is established as static;
(ii) When the findings and symptoms are shown by examinations scheduled in paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section or other examinations and hospital reports to have persisted without material improvement for a period of 5 years or more;
(iii) Where the disability from disease is permanent in character and of such nature that there is no likelihood of improvement;
(iv) In cases of veterans over 55 years of age, except under unusual circumstances;
(v) When the rating is a prescribed scheduled minimum rating; or
(vi) Where a combined disability evaluation would not be affected if the future examination should result in reduced evaluation for one or more conditions.
(c) Pension cases. In nonservice-connected cases in which the permanent total disability has been confirmed by reexamination or by the history of the case, or with obviously static disabilities, further reexaminations will not generally be requested. In other cases further examination will not be requested routinely and will be accomplished only if considered necessary based upon the particular facts of the individual case. In the cases of veterans over 55 years of age, reexamination will be requested only under unusual circumstances.
Cross Reference: Failure to report for VA examination. See §3.655.
[26 FR 1585, Feb. 24, 1961, as amended at 30 FR 11855, Sept. 16, 1965; 36 FR 14467, Aug. 6, 1971; 55 FR 49521, Nov. 29, 1990; 60 FR 27409, May 24, 1995]

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for all the good info
Indeed, you are quite welcome! Take care and enjoy life! :cool:

Best Wishes!

MSGO22years

Registered Member
When I received my PDRL, I was relieved and thought I was all done. Now I'm realizing that the VA does not have me as permanent and total. It's stating on my paperwork that I'm supposed to have a reevaluation next month. I still have not received a letter or a request for a re-examination, but I'm sure it will come. How long does it take to get permanent and total from the VA?

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Veteran
When I received my PDRL, I was relieved and thought I was all done. Now I'm realizing that the VA does not have me as permanent and total. It's stating on my paperwork that I'm supposed to have a reevaluation next month. I still have not received a letter or a request for a re-examination, but I'm sure it will come. How long does it take to get permanent and total from the VA?

Here's a really cool website for you that Jim Strickland has put together on many of the common issues facing Vets when they have issues/questions with/about the VA.

http://www.theveteransvoice.com/ResourcePage.html
I just found this myself and I am going to bookmark it!

nwlivewire

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">