Debating Transition to WTU

liaspyre31

Registered Member
Hi everyone... I'm new here to this site, but I've been going thru the IDES for a couple months now.

My leadership hasn't really dealt with soldiers going thru the Med Board process, so trying to set up and go to my appointments AND go to work has been a big struggle (I'm on Active Duty right now). I'm an inpatient nurse too, and being on my feet for too long at a time can sometimes aggravate my medical issue (I was recommended for MEB for Chronic Pelvic Pain).

I've thought several times about transitioning to the WTU, but I don't know if my pelvic pain would be considered a "complex medical issue," even though I've been referred to a few different specialty clinics to try and find a cause, and my pain issues didn't start in theater, so I'm not even sure if I'd be eligible for WTU. It would significantly help me with focusing on my Med Board though... I've had a few times since this started that I've gotten pretty stressed out, just from having to deal with Army stuff, my job, and MEB stuff all at once.

Any advice?

It never hurts to ask. Fill out the packet and submit it. If your command supports it, chances will be better. If the packet is done well, I would assume the Triad of Care will take a close look. It's all about the sales pitch. The biggest thing they can do for you is get you priority on your appointments. To me, that was a huge help. If you are responsible (sounds like you are) then they will leave you alone and let you work on transition plans.

Good Luck,

Joe

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From my experiences, I understand you pain and situation. Moreover, I agree with ranger2992's comment; command support is vital. I have purely outstanding Command support, but my WTU application is in limbo and not because of my Command.

Unfortunately, I am still awaiting transfer to a WTU. But at this point, my opportunity for an approval transfer is likely never going to occur since I am in the late stages of the PEB phase in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Oh well, at least my current unit of assignment is very supportive.

In retrospect, prior to being accepted into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, the WTU prefer applicants who either have not start the IDES process or are early in the IDES process. You voluntarily won't know the initial outcome of your situation until the question is present to the WTU leadership.

Thus, I offer that you remain positively proactive and stay the course throughout your interactions while trying to secure the best solution for yourself and your loved ones.

Best Wishes!

I totally agree with the comments above, you might even have an advantage being in the medical profession yourself. Would be nice to get your COC onboard with the idea and maybe see if they would assist you in getting assigned. Ask for the moon, take what is doled out. Assignment to a WTU allows you the time to focus specifically on your medical issues and not having to deal with daily work related stresses. Sounds like standing all day is the last thing you need. Anyways I hope the best for ya.....

I have been in the wtu before and returned to duty following a theater injuries, if you have been seen for chronic hip pain what were diagnosis's just CPP? If you have not had an arthrogram or asked for one I would for the fact I had one done with CPP and turned out to be severely torn labral tears and a pelvic fractured! On the wtu part it has its ups and downs. Just know your going there to better yourself not work a four hour job they set In front of you(mistake I made). You have the choice when you get there to pick a job or go to college to keep you busy. And also they let you off early usually. Now for the bad it's filled with cadre that don't know you mostly active reserve and national guard they don't know all active duty rules policies ect. They act like they do but they don't lol you will see people mistreated sometimes and can't do anything reporting them is faulty and going higher is faulty just remind your self you need to take care of yourself as well as the appointments they make for you don't miss any or be late they will chapter you with no benifits they don't care. Your treated e-1 through o-6 like a child trying to play army. You can't make an appointment reschedule or cancel without the nurse case managers involvement, just I have. Seen great soldiers be reduced to nothing for no reason watch out for yourself if you go goodluck

WTU is a great place to be for IDES process, allows you to heal up while you wait and has a lot of resources, I was skeptical about it from stories and hear say but you have to judge it by your own experience, and once I was there most of the rumors or stories were overrated, everybody is case on case basis so you can't really try to compare personal experiences as advice, pretty much my platoon had a 0900 formation and 1600 formation and that was it, the time between was for appointments, school, or internships, and if you didn't have any of the 3 it was pretty much YOU time, Aslong as you have a good NCM that coordinates with your squad leader and you don't miss any appointments or have any reason for COC to know your name more than you need to then your good to go

And for the soldiers who names are known for more reasons for what they should be are the ones milking the system

For instance when I reported to WTU my roommate had already been their for a YEAR and when I left 7 months later he was still their and he is on RTD track and walking like a champ

I didn't say it was all bad I returned to duty as well but I did mention problems I've seen and was being honest, I could have gotten out but decided to stay in the army I'm not the only only one who saw problems at braggs wtu look it up online wtu mistreatment thousands of people have it online to read just cause you had a different exp dosent mean everyone does. Like I said just be careful there

Not here to argue just shared my experience, I was at Bragg WTU from June 12 till feb of this year, no issues, great experience

I didn't mean to make it sound like an argument I apologize it was all for good intentions

I felt the same way about going to our Wounded Warrior Battalion. It is what is, it's an all around better atmosphere than the FMF.

Well looks like I don't have a choice with my current problems unit put me back in to go to braggs wtu... But Gotta do what I gotta do I guess. I've already started the med board process so I wonder how long till its final going to the wtu

Would anybody be able to tell me what all I need for a packet to request transfer to WTU? I'm really starting to consider it more strongly. Also, has anybody been to the WTU at Fort Hood? That would be the closest one to where I live... my home of record is in Fort Worth, TX.

I hate assumptions BUT I would think that your PCM should be familiar with the required paperwork; maybe engage the S1 as well. Sorry I cant give you anything more concrete as the way was paved for me.

The wtu on the base you are on will make the determination to move you to hood but get in it first haha