Delaying MEB in order to undergo it under DOD/VA pilot Program

davidclinton2

PEB Forum Regular Member
Good Day:

I am an instructor at West Point. I have been diagnosed with Factor V Leiden and have been prescribed Coumadin "for Life". As such, I am being sent to an MEB. Since West Point is on the list to transition to the DOD/VA combined program this summer, I would like to know if it would possible (or desirable) to delay the MEB until the pilot program is established. Please let me know if anyone has hear of this happening, or if there are any precedents for it.

There is nothing in the regs to suggest that someone could delay because of the upcoming transition. However, sometimes it is possible to either convince your doctors to delay and or find another basis for delay (the usual precedent is continued treatment or diagnosis to determine if you might return to unrestricted duty; not sure if there is anything similar for you given the nature of the condition).

It would likely be desirable to be in the Pilot program/IDES. The preliminary numbers reported showed a higher rate of retirements for those going through IDES.