Denied MEB?

DepressiveDude101

Registered Member
So you can check my post history for some background on my situation.

Since last post, I was able to get a diagnosis of recurrent major depressive disorder (albeit under moderate), along with an adjustment disorder with anxiety. However, they are still saying I’m not a good candidate for an MEB because while I have a diagnosis, they think my duty is not affected, even though I’ve failed 3 PT tests so far and will probably get the boot after that. Additionally, I have been taking one to two days of leave almost every week for the past several months because I just can’t handle the fatigue, stress, and other symptoms I’ve been experiencing. Wouldn’t the PT failures and having to make my weeks shorter constitute an affect on my work?

I managed to secure an outside referral, but I honestly don’t know how it would help since I’ve already been diagnosed, and the referral provider’s comments will just go back to my original provider at MH.

I’m pretty depressed about this whole thing... I don’t know what to do next...

Thanks for your time.

Why are you so concerned with getting boarded?

If you want to get out, do your time and separate.

If that's too long for you then fail another PT test and you'll likely get out if it's indeed number 4.

If you want to retire, then do your 20 years and retire.

I don't see where getting boarded should ever cross your mind unless you are trying to get compensated for something that it doesn't look like you've earned.

Am I missing something here?

Did a deployment cause these mental issues?

I see the services fighting harder and harder against these types of MH cases just because so many service members are claiming it. Remember if you don't have any UCMJ then the commander MUST admin separate you as an honorable for PT failure this does not affect your ability to collect VA disability for the above-mentioned conditions, whether or not they want to med board you is entirely different and may never come to pass. Just continuing getting treatment the VA rating is, for the most part, the only thing that matters anyway.

Why are you so concerned with getting boarded?

If you want to get out, do your time and separate.

If that's too long for you then fail another PT test and you'll likely get out if it's indeed number 4.

If you want to retire, then do your 20 years and retire.

I don't see where getting boarded should ever cross your mind unless you are trying to get compensated for something that it doesn't look like you've earned.

Am I missing something here?

Did a deployment cause these mental issues?

Cubs, kids these days don’t want to do their time and get out, they want 100% and to be able to carry around the badge of being “retired” and a “disabled vet” in their 20s and 30’s. The days of doing your time and getting out are over, everybody wants a free check. Some folks don’t realize how good they have it in the service. I’d trade places in a heartbeat.

Cubs, kids these days don’t want to do their time and get out, they want 100% and to be able to carry around the badge of being “retired” and a “disabled vet” in their 20s and 30’s. The days of doing your time and getting out are over, everybody wants a free check. Some folks don’t realize how good they have it in the service. I’d trade places in a heartbeat.

I agree in a since but at the same time I’m getting medically retired because I got diagnosed with epilepsy at 22. Did I want it? No. Did I ask for it? No. I’d do anything to be back to my old self and not have seizures every other week. And all this came about because of my job and the chemicals I was around at work. I wouldn’t generalize an entire generation in what you see in a few people. I planned on doing my 20 and making my way up the rank and now I won’t even see SSgt.

I agree in a since but at the same time I’m getting medically retired because I got diagnosed with epilepsy at 22. Did I want it? No. Did I ask for it? No. I’d do anything to be back to my old self and not have seizures every other week. And all this came about because of my job and the chemicals I was around at work. I wouldn’t generalize an entire generation in what you see in a few people. I planned on doing my 20 and making my way up the rank and now I won’t even see SSgt.

Your situation sucks, but do you have any concrete evidence that the chemicals that you were exposed to caused the epilepsy? Just curious.

Your situation is different in that I believe that epilepsy can be properly diagnosed, unlike mental conditions, which are easy to claim, hard to prove.

Your situation sucks, but do you have any concrete evidence that the chemicals that you were exposed to caused the epilepsy? Just curious.

Your situation is different in that I believe that epilepsy can be properly diagnosed, unlike mental conditions, which are easy to claim, hard to prove.

Yes. I had an exposure to hydrazine in April of last year and one of the side effects shown on the epa.org website states that’s seizures is a side affect of being exposed. I understand where you’re coming from because I’ve seen 4 guys already in just my AMU get removed for “mental health” reasons when in reality they didn’t know what they were signing up for. It’s just a little frustrating seeing people say the younger generation that is coming in are a bunch of chumps who just want a free pass when I’ve know a lot of guys, including myself, who bust their ass on the line or wherever they are working to do their best so they can make it as far as rank or just because they have pride in what they do.

Just to save you the time of looking it up.

Attachments

• 558B89DE-50D7-4D21-BBC2-AF5DCA7289B9.jpeg
    558B89DE-50D7-4D21-BBC2-AF5DCA7289B9.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 26
As I recall from my flight line days (F-16C), anyone within a certain radius when the EPU (Emergency Power Unit that uses Hydrazine) fires is subject to exposure and anyone down wind for a certain distance. Of course you have the entire storage and maintenance of the fuel also where accidents may occur. I remember during labor management discussions and also Hazardous Duty Pay for federal civil service as codified in 5CFR 532 and Hazardous duty pay is payable to General Schedule (GS) employees covered by chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of title 5, United States Code. Prevailing rate (wage) employees are eligible to receive environmental differential pay in certain circumstances under a separate statutory provision (5 U.S.C. 5343(c)(4)).

Obviously there are the exceptions. I’m taking about the kids who feel entitled to 100% for flat feet, razor bumps, and shin splints. We all know the type. I know so many who know they are getting forced out so they go to mental health until they get a diagnosis to secure that check.

Yea and like I said I agree there are a lot of people like that now, but when you say “kids these days don’t want to do their time and get out, they want 100% and to be able to carry around the badge of being “retired” and a “disabled vet” in their 20s and 30’s.” you’re making a very large assumption about a large group when in reality 95%+ of said group don’t fit the “title” you’re trying to give them.

An EPU fired on the ground near me. I’m an F-16 Chief myself Padgettra

From my year in Kunsan, I seem to remember that the EPU isn't designed to be fired on the ground, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure that you should have kicked the pilot's ass.

Regardless, if I had to guess I'm still not sure that the hydrazine caused the epilepsy, as there's a difference between something causing someone to have seizures, vs contracting a disease. Either way, it'll be service connected and you'll be paid the same. Good luck man.

Not really sure how to respond, but here it goes:

I’ve been dealing with depression for over a year now and getting treatment for it, and it seems like it’s getting worse. My arms are covered in scars because I cut myself regularly. Medications haven’t been helpful and a med board was brought up to me and then taken back. Things have happened in my life in the past year that have really taken a toll, and if I could stick it out I would, but I don’t feel well at all everyday, physically and mentally. Things just build and build and then I cut. I didn’t ask for this and it is disheartening to hear that I’m claiming it but can’t prove it..I totally understand the mentality, but it still stings. I don’t care about a check, I never want to even remember about my time here enough to say I was a veteran. I just want to recover and I haven’t been able to do it in the military setting. A med board was preferable so at least it was recognized that my reason for leaving was not because I was a shit employee....

I’ve been dealing with depression for over a year now and getting treatment for it, and it seems like it’s getting worse. My arms are covered in scars because I cut myself regularly. Medications haven’t been helpful and a med board was brought up to me and then taken back. Things have happened in my life in the past year that have really taken a toll, and if I could stick it out I would, but I don’t feel well at all everyday, physically and mentally. Things just build and build and then I cut. I didn’t ask for this and it is disheartening to hear that I’m claiming it but can’t prove it..I totally understand the mentality, but it still stings. I don’t care about a check, I never want to even remember about my time here enough to say I was a veteran. I just want to recover and I haven’t been able to do it in the military setting. A med board was preferable so at least it was recognized that my reason for leaving was not because I was a shit employee....

Sounds like all you have to do is fail that last PT test and you're good to go.

From my year in Kunsan, I seem to remember that the EPU isn't designed to be fired on the ground, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure that you should have kicked the pilot's ass.

Regardless, if I had to guess I'm still not sure that the hydrazine caused the epilepsy, as there's a difference between something causing someone to have seizures, vs contracting a disease. Either way, it'll be service connected and you'll be paid the same. Good luck man.

It’s not. It’s meant to kick off as an “Emergency Power Unit” (epu) in the air. Hydrazine can cause cancer in the liver and is extremely hazardous. If it makes skin contact they strip you naked and spray you with a fire hose (from a truck). It wasn’t pilot error it was aircraft malfunction. And I mean it isn’t concrete because it’s so dangerous they haven’t tested it on humans because it can kill you just being exposed once.

I’ve been diagnosed with MDD. I know how it feels to let shit build up and not want to talk to anyone about it, but I will tell you this. Talk to someone. As shitty as it sounds you need to. Nothing good comes from holding it in. I’m not telling you to go to a counsiler or a mental health person or anything like that. Talk to a friend, a parent, a sibling, I mean mean shit, if you dont want any of them to know and want to talk to someone you don’t know just to vent I’ll send you my number and you can call me whenever you’re ant just to vent. I can speak from experience about just about anything. My wife cut before I met her and almost lost her life and she’s been the greatest blessing I could have ever asked for. It’s not worth it. So please consider what I said. I’m serious about giving you my number. I’m open and I won’t judge (that offer goes to anyone who reads this and needs someone to talk to). I hope everything works out with you so your life goes a little smother.