Depression and SSDI while on AD

kb1991

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Does anyone have experience with applying for SSDI for depression? I'm still AD. My on base doctors would fill out forms for me if need be, but what was your experience and how hard was it to get your AD records that are all aligned to support a VA case to line up with the SS Blue book?

SSDI requires that you show an inibilty to be gainfully employed. This is evident by those in wounded warrior units that does only physical therapy and work towards recovery all day as an example.

It is possible to be on SSDI but you have to show good tangible evidence you are not doing any gainful WORK. This means things like being an office aide and doing evaluations and filing files all day is still gainful employment. the onus is that you are doing almost no ACTUAL work everyday and you are just reporting as required or that your symptoms are so sever as that you can not do your assigned duties in fear of harm to others or yourself.

What do you actually do everyday at work?

Other then not being able to be gainfully employed you need to show that you haven’t worked for the last 6 months. Your doctor also needs to submit paperwork saying that your condition is not going to get better over time. The only way around that is if you lost your arm or leg because obviously it’s not gonna grow back. Getting SSDI isn’t easy and just because you might be 100% through the VA doesn’t mean that you will be approved for it. It’s an uphill battle

SSDI is harder to get than a VA or DoD rating. Apply and let the SSA do its thing. It is the only way to know the true outcome.

I, too, tried to apply for SSDI while I was still active due to depression. I was denied because the person who applies has to earn below a certain percentage equal to the civilian equivalent of your military job (at least this is how it was explained to me). Even though I was working part time when I applied, I still "earned" too much. However, I applied again right when I went on terminal leave, and was approved. But this took a few months, and I had to wait, I think, 6 months to start collecting. It is a long and difficult process. Each person is different, but that was my experience.

Have you went to DTAP, yet? There's usually a representative from SSA who speaks. You may reach out to them and start the process.

But like @chaplaincharlie said, it doesn't hurt to apply. You won't know until you try.

I, too, tried to apply for SSDI while I was still active due to depression. I was denied because the person who applies has to earn below a certain percentage equal to the civilian equivalent of your military job (at least this is how it was explained to me). Even though I was working part time when I applied, I still "earned" too much. However, I applied again right when I went on terminal leave, and was approved. But this took a few months, and I had to wait, I think, 6 months to start collecting. It is a long and difficult process. Each person is different, but that was my experience.

Have you went to DTAP, yet? There's usually a representative from SSA who speaks. You may reach out to them and start the process.

But like @chaplaincharlie said, it doesn't hurt to apply. You won't know until you try.
What is DTAP?

What is DTAP?
Not sure if I said it correctly. It's been 2 years since I attended. But it's like TGPS (TAPS), but for disability. When I went through, it was required. For one day, speakers come in and discuss benefits entitled to you if you are medical retired/separated. It's separate from TGPS. When I went through, someone from the local SSA came and discussed our options.

DTAP.

The DTAP or the Disabled Transition Assistance Program

"
The DTAP is an essential element of providing guidance in transition which incorporates involvement in support of the members in service to the military who are subjected to discharge from service due to their disability or those members who have a disability and therefore become eligible to benefit from the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program of the VA."

"Providing proper guidance and encouragement to the eligible members in service and deciding about the program of Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment of the VA is the main aim of the Disabled Transition Assistance Program. The DTAP also aspires to enable the swift delivery of the vocational rehabilitation services for the qualified members in service and also provide them guidance in applying for the benefits of the vocational rehabilitation program."

Ron

DTAP.

The DTAP or the Disabled Transition Assistance Program

"
The DTAP is an essential element of providing guidance in transition which incorporates involvement in support of the members in service to the military who are subjected to discharge from service due to their disability or those members who have a disability and therefore become eligible to benefit from the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program of the VA."

"Providing proper guidance and encouragement to the eligible members in service and deciding about the program of Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment of the VA is the main aim of the Disabled Transition Assistance Program. The DTAP also aspires to enable the swift delivery of the vocational rehabilitation services for the qualified members in service and also provide them guidance in applying for the benefits of the vocational rehabilitation program."

Ron
Thanks @RonG. I have figure out how to get into this course.

How do you sign up if you’re Air Force?
I never heard of it prior to today. I simply searched the Internet for an answer.

It is my understanding it is a Dod/VA/Dept of Labor program. See this LINK <---
Another LINK <---

It is a partnership with the Departments of Defense (DoD), Veterans Affairs (VA), Transportation and the Department of Labor’s Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) and would apply to all the services.

Recommend you contact your PEBLO if you are in IDES processing; the VA if you have already separated. @chaplaincharlie or @gsfowler could probably provide more info.

Good luck,
Ron

You have to wait 5 months after you apply for SSDI (assuming the request is approved) to collect SSDI payments. A year after your first payment you are Medicare eligible. Part A is free, your are required to buy Part B or you will pay a hefty additional premium later. Additionally Tricare for Life requires you to purchase Part B. TFL has no premium (at this time).

Isn't SSDI intended to provide income when are you not able to work due to a disability? Since you are AD you are not losing any income whether you go to work or not. Maybe I am confused but why would you need it?

Isn't SSDI intended to provide income when are you not able to work due to a disability? Since you are AD you are not losing any income whether you go to work or not. Maybe I am confused but why would you need it?
Link to SSDI <—-

Frankly, I don’t see how one would qualify while serving on active duty.

“1. Are you working?
If you’re working and your earnings average more than a certain amount each month, you generally won’t be
considered to be disabled. The amount (referred to as “substantial gainful activity”) changes each year. For the current figure, see the annual Update (Publication No. 05-10003).”
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf <—-LINK

Ron

@RonG I concur. You’re not losing any income while be disabled and on active duty. Quick google search shows the SSDI income cap is around $1200 a month. An E-1 in basic makes $1680.

I have seen Service members assigned to WTUs to start the process and applied for SSDI. If any of their conditions, irregardless if they get seperated from the military because of it is in the SSA blue book they can apply.

I have seen Service members assigned to WTUs to start the process and applied for SSDI. If any of their conditions, irregardless if they get seperated from the military because of it is in the SSA blue book they can apply.
It's very common and actually promoted to get SSDI if your disabled on AD just not out yet. It's for the wounded warriors. Theres multiple threads on this site and many moderators who applied while still AD. The requirement for SSDI is gainful employment which by legal standard believe it or not doesnt mean just collecting a check. Otherwise people who were getting VA checks over the cap wouldn't qualify either and they do.

From SSA:

How does military pay affect eligibility for disability benefits?
Active duty status and receipt of military pay does not, in itself, necessarily prevent payment of Social Security disability benefits. Receipt of military payments should never stop you from applying for disability benefits from Social Security. If you are receiving treatment at a military medical facility and working in a designated therapy program or on limited duty, we will evaluate your work activity to determine your eligibility for benefits.

You cannot receive Social Security disability benefits if you engage in substantial work for pay or profit. However, the actual work activity is the controlling factor and not the amount of pay you receive or your military duty status.

Not sure if I said it correctly. It's been 2 years since I attended. But it's like TGPS (TAPS), but for disability. When I went through, it was required. For one day, speakers come in and discuss benefits entitled to you if you are medical retired/separated. It's separate from TGPS. When I went through, someone from the local SSA came and discussed our options.

Are there any key measurements you can expand on that help you to receive your approval for your SSDI? I’ve been diagnosed with severe behavior health issues across the board and trying to figure out the best way to approach SSDI. DOD 90% and VA 100%.