DFAS CRSC pay statement question

Kim76

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
In need of everyone's expertise please. I was approved for CRSC and I had been using the DFAS' calculator to try to estimate how much I might get. The DFAS calculator said I would get roughly $230 but this does not match the amount I get when using the formula that has been posted on this forum. Based on the formulas I have seen, here is what I came up with:

Single Capt with 7 yrs 6 mos active duty service -

70% DoD (roughly $3524)
100% VA ($2858)
50% CRSC

7.5 (YOS) x 2.5 = 18.75
0.19 (rounded up) x $5035 (high 3) = $956
VA compensation table for single veteran at 50% = $822
CRSC amount = $822 (lesser of the two amounts)

This forums' wonderful guru (whom I trust more than DFAS) even double-checked this calculation for me but today when I logged into mypay, my CRSC pay statement had posted. According to DFAS, my CRSC amount is $210.24. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I suppose I'm wondering if there is any chance that this statement could be wrong.

Thank you in advance for any insight that can be provided!

In need of everyone's expertise please. I was approved for CRSC and I had been using the DFAS' calculator to try to estimate how much I might get. The DFAS calculator said I would get roughly $230 but this does not match the amount I get when using the formula that has been posted on this forum. Based on the formulas I have seen, here is what I came up with:

Single Capt with 7 yrs 6 mos active duty service -

70% DoD (roughly $3524)
100% VA ($2858)
50% CRSC

7.5 (YOS) x 2.5 = 18.75
0.19 (rounded up) x $5035 (high 3) = $956
VA compensation table for single veteran at 50% = $822
CRSC amount = $822 (lesser of the two amounts)

This forums' wonderful guru (whom I trust more than DFAS) even double-checked this calculation for me but today when I logged into mypay, my CRSC pay statement had posted. According to DFAS, my CRSC amount is $210.24. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I suppose I'm wondering if there is any chance that this statement could be wrong.

Thank you in advance for any insight that can be provided!

Kim,

I sent an email to somebody who put together a really good CRSC spreadsheet. I hope he gets back to me soon to see where the error might be. I appreciate your trust in me, but feel really bad. Either I obviously missed something, or DFAS is all chewed up. Either way, it results in a pain in the but for you. I will keep you informed.

Joe

Joe,

Please don't feel bad at all, I'm sure there were no errors in your calculation! Either I goofed with the numbers or DFAS messed up big time. I hope the award letter arrives soon and I can see exactly how they calculated the $210.24. I appreciate you contacting your colleague. Perhaps one of us will solve this mystery! I'm quite used to everything being a struggle during this process. Bright side: anything is better than $0 CRSC!

Kim

Joe,

Please don't feel bad at all, I'm sure there were no errors in your calculation! Either I goofed with the numbers or DFAS messed up big time. I hope the award letter arrives soon and I can see exactly how they calculated the $210.24. I appreciate you contacting your colleague. Perhaps one of us will solve this mystery! I'm quite used to everything being a struggle during this process. Bright side: anything is better than $0 CRSC!

Kim

Kim,

I just sent you a PM with the information I got from him. He told that there were changes in the NDAA 2014 that changed how it is calculated. I need to go back and read everything, and figure out what changed. I honestly had no idea. Anyway, for you, or anybody else on here who wants the CRSC Calculator he created, give me your email and I will send it to you. We can't upload Excel files on here.

Joe

Kim,

I just sent you a PM with the information I got from him. He told that there were changes in the NDAA 2014 that changed how it is calculated. I need to go back and read everything, and figure out what changed. I honestly had no idea. Anyway, for you, or anybody else on here who wants the CRSC Calculator he created, give me your email and I will send it to you. We can't upload Excel files on here.

Joe

Here's to learning something new every day! :) I really do appreciate you getting the answer and I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. Perhaps this will help others for their future calculations!

Kim

Here's to learning something new every day! :) I really do appreciate you getting the answer and I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. Perhaps this will help others for their future calculations!

Kim

Indeed, as I too sent @ranger2992 a PM with my e-mail address requesting a copy of the revised CRSC calculator. Thanks!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Indeed, as I too sent @ranger2992 a PM with my e-mail address requesting a copy of the revised CRSC calculator. Thanks!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I have to admit I am quite curious about the new calculator but I am more curious regarding when the change took effect. I was approved for CRSC in Feb 2014 but my award date has been backdated to 1 May 2013, so I wonder if that would make any difference. I am worried about how this will affect those already receiving CRSC. Fingers crossed that nothing will change for them!

At least this experience is getting the word out about the changes! :D

I have to admit I am quite curious about the new calculator but I am more curious regarding when the change took effect. I was approved for CRSC in Feb 2014 but my award date has been backdated to 1 May 2013, so I wonder if that would make any difference. I am worried about how this will affect those already receiving CRSC. Fingers crossed that nothing will change for them!

At least this experience is getting the word out about the changes! :D

Indeed and again thanks; very helpful! ;)

Hmm, out of curiosity, why was your CRSC award date backdated? :confused:

By the way, congratulations on your award of CRSC too! :cool: Thanks! :)

Best Wishes!

Indeed and again thanks; very helpful! ;)

Hmm, out of curiosity, why was your CRSC award date backdated? :confused:

By the way, congratulations on your award of CRSC too! :cool: Thanks! :)

Best Wishes!

I had waited to apply for CRSC because I did not think I would get anything even if approved. My AFW2 rep advised that I apply in case things change.

I was placed on TDRL on 27 April 2013 but I waited until January of this year to apply. Thanks for well wishes!

I hope your application is approved quickly!

Now I'm really confused. I've been desperately searching for the NDAA 2014 changes to CRSC calculation but I haven't been able to find anything. Also, from what I have seen, it says that the NDAA 2014 will take effect June 1, 2014. Of course, I could be reading that wrong.

My point is, if the changes do not take effect until June 1st then why are changes to CRSC calculations already being made. Hopefully someone much smarter will be able to figure this out since it seems really wonky to me!

Now I'm really confused. I've been desperately searching for the NDAA 2014 changes to CRSC calculation but I haven't been able to find anything. Also, from what I have seen, it says that the NDAA 2014 will take effect June 1, 2014. Of course, I could be reading that wrong.

My point is, if the changes do not take effect until June 1st then why are changes to CRSC calculations already being made. Hopefully someone much smarter will be able to figure this out since it seems really wonky to me!

I suspect if you are getting a CRSC retro, the monies they will owe you will be calculated under the scheme and rules that were used in 2013.

I'm not aware of a 01 Jun 2014 CRSC change. I'm sure someone will chime in and assist.

I was under the impression that full CRSC was to go into effect to those entitled to it on 01 JAN 2014.

nwlivewire

I suspect if you are getting a CRSC retro, the monies they will owe you will be calculated under the scheme and rules that were used in 2013.

I'm not aware of a 01 Jun 2014 CRSC change. I'm sure someone will chime in and assist.

I was under the impression that full CRSC was to go into effect to those entitled to it on 01 JAN 2014.

nwlivewire

With any luck, my CRSC will be calculated using the formula from my first post. The spreadsheet Ranger mentioned earlier is also showing a much lower amount. This new spreadsheet takes into account changes from NDAA 2014.

As for 1 June 2014, that is the date that NDAA 2014 is supposedly going into effect. I am not sure about this date though.

I hope I am not causing anyone undue grief but if there are changes coming it will be good for everyone to know.

With any luck, my CRSC will be calculated using the formula from my first post. The spreadsheet Ranger mentioned earlier is also showing a much lower amount. This new spreadsheet takes into account changes from NDAA 2014.

As for 1 June 2014, that is the date that NDAA 2014 is supposedly going into effect. I am not sure about this date though.

I hope I am not causing anyone undue grief but if there are changes coming it will be good for everyone to know.

Kim, I am honestly as lost as you trying to figure out what changed. You can search for "CRSC glitch". That is the only thing I knew of being fixed prior to reaching out to James. I will keep trying to find the answer. And no, it is no trouble at all. I am glad this came up because I want to ensure I am always giving the best advise. I am just sorry it cam at your expense.

Joe

Kim, I am honestly as lost as you trying to figure out what changed. You can search for "CRSC glitch". That is the only thing I knew of being fixed prior to reaching out to James. I will keep trying to find the answer. And no, it is no trouble at all. I am glad this came up because I want to ensure I am always giving the best advise. I am just sorry it cam at your expense.

Joe

Joe,
There is no need to apologize at all! You have been amazing through this, I can't help but laugh since a simple request to double-check my math has turned into a research project. :confused: Although I am glad that I'm not the only one stumped! As far as this coming at my expense, I'd rather it be me than someone else, especially if that someone else has a spouse and children to support. Thanks!

Kim

You DoD retirement amount is greater than your VA. As such, the amount of disability retirement above that earned by LOS is deducted from the CRSC amount. Just like for LOS retirees, CRSC is designed to ensure you get an amount from DoD and the VA that equals your total VA ($2,858) and the lesser of two amounts:

1. Your LOS based retirement ($944.06) based on 18.75%

2. Your VA compensation for Combat Related conditions at 50% ($822)

Your total VA and VA compensation for combat related conditions equals $2,858 + 822 which equals $3,680. Your receive $3,524 DoD (of which $2,858 is offset by VA). $3,680 minus $3524 equals $156 as the CRSC amount.

The $156 calculated above is closer $210 amount on your CRSC statement. The $54 delta is a mystery.

Mike

Another way to look at it:

Your receive $666 from DoD ($3,524 DoD minus the $2,858 VA offset)

Your CRSC amount (prior to the $666 offset) is $822. $822 minus $666 is $156, the same amount calculated in my post above.

Mike

Oh, okay. Thank you so much for the clarification!

Kim

Another way to look at it:

Your receive $666 from DoD ($3,524 DoD minus the $2,858 VA offset)

Your CRSC amount (prior to the $666 offset) is $822. $822 minus $666 is $156, the same amount calculated in my post above.

Mike

Mike, can you explain what NDAA 2014 changed as far as CRSC?

Mike, can you explain what NDAA 2014 changed as far as CRSC?

Lol! I was just sending you a PM. Actually, I asked Mr. Parker the same question and he stated he was not aware of any changes.

Also, I must apologize to everyone. It looks like I am the one who messed this situation up. I did not realize that the actual figures are VA + CRSC. I thought the CRSC amount would be added to the amount I receive from both the VA & DoD. For example, $2858 + $666 + $822.

Kim

I had waited to apply for CRSC because I did not think I would get anything even if approved. My AFW2 rep advised that I apply in case things change.

I was placed on TDRL on 27 April 2013 but I waited until January of this year to apply. Thanks for well wishes!

I hope your application is approved quickly!

Okay, thanks for your reply! :)

Indeed, I shall expeditiously apply for CRSC upon official receipt of my DoVA award of disability ratings. :cool:

Best Wishes!