Disability Pay Question

RKM246

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi everyone, have a question regarding VA Compensation.

End of April I officially was medically retired off of Active Duty. I did not serve 20 years, I was put through the medical board process following a surgery. I am rated at 100%.

Was told from the retirement office at my installation to retire towards the end of April so my pay would be effective May 1st and I would be paid starting in June.

Beginning of June came, I was only paid about 20% of my allotted compensation. Called the VA, they told me this was done to avoid a potential double payment with DFAS. I asked is this applicable even though I did not serve 20 years, they said yes and told me I would receive my full monthly compensation some time after June. They could not tell me if it would in June or this would be sometime later on.

Has anyone had this experience? Will I receive the rest of the compensation in July, and will that July payment include compensation for June and also this missed May compensation?

Any insight would be appreciated. It’s a payment I definitely could use right now.

Did the rest your active duty pay/leave pay out in May? If it did they may have done you a favor because if you received both pay from active duty/terminal leave and VA disability then you would have a debt with the VA to pay back. That could be it, however I don't know for sure.

Did the rest your active duty pay/leave pay out in May? If it did they may have done you a favor because if you received both pay from active duty/terminal leave and VA disability then you would have a debt with the VA to pay back. That could be it, however I don't know for sure.
@RKM246

As mentioned above, your retired pay is reduced dollar for dollar in the amont of VA compensation. You get to keep any residual retired pay (left over).

If you had already received your retired pay, a subsequent VA payment would be reduced by the amount of retired pay received.

Ron

@RKM246

As mentioned above, your retired pay is reduced dollar for dollar in the amont of VA compensation. You get to keep any residual retired pay (left over).

If you had already received your retired pay, a subsequent VA payment would be reduced by the amount of retired pay received.

Ron
Did not receive retirement pay. Will only be receiving VA compensation, due to not serving 20 years. I was not paid by DFAS, but was paid by the VA in a reduced fashion. So, I'm unsure when the rest of this payment will come from the VA.

Did not receive retirement pay. Will only be receiving VA compensation, due to not serving 20 years. I was not paid by DFAS, but was paid by the VA in a reduced fashion. So, I'm unsure when the rest of this payment will come from the VA.
My reply here pertains only to the status of your retired pay.

If you were retired under Chapter 61 disability retirement @30% or more and had not qualified for another type retirement:
--Each month there will be an accounting of your gross retired pay.
--Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. If your VA compensation is more than your retired pay, your net retired pay will be zero. A new DFAS RAS (ret pay stmt) will be produced only when your pay changes.
--Not everyone loses all their retired pay. The VA compensation for some is less than the retired pay. The retiree receives the difference.

Recommend you call the VA about your partial VA payment. A veterans service officer could assist you with this matter.

Good luck,
Ron