DISABILITY, PERMANENT (ENHANCED); SEPARATION CODE: SEJ

pepper44

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My DD Form 214 shows that I have permanent disabilities with an enhanced (or combat-related) categorization due to disabilities incurred in combat-related operations. I was denied CRSC, and I appealed my TSGLI 3 times and was denied 3 times. what do I need to do? Thank you all for any advisement(s).

What are the specific reasons given for the denial? With the limited info you gave, it could have been the result of not providing a copy of your VA award letter received in the mail (example only).

Ron

I provided my award letter which included the Disability Evaluation System Proposed Ratings - VA 100%/MED 100%; Doctors info outlining combat-related illnesses/injuries incurred during the training alerts exercises and operations; DD Form 214 of course. Denial says: Illness/injuries are not combat related. Please advise!!!

I provided my award letter which included the Disability Evaluation System Proposed Rating - VA 100%/MED 100%; Doctors info outlining combat-related illnesses/injuries incurred; DD Form 214 of course. Denial says: Illness/injuries are not combat related. Please advise!!!

Hello,

Your mentioned, "I appealed my TSGLI 3 times and was denied 3 times. "

TSGLI is Service members' Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection. I assume you claimed the actual injuries rather than the Life Insurance data.

Here is a collection of CRSC material, most of which you do not need, but it shows the documents required and the offices to which applications must be submitted:
A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

I do not doubt you qualify for CRSC. I highly recommend you find a certified veterans service officer in your area who can sit with you and assist with the application.
VSOs are found in organizations such as VFW, DAV, American Legion, and county offices in many places. My brother recently used a county VSO in Texas.

Note: The award letter of which I spoke is the VA award/decision letter (received thru the mail) that likely has 4-10 pages included. It lists your VA approved disabilities and the percentages for each.

Further analysis on this board would require scanned copies of the denial letter and the VA award letter/approval that shows all your approved VA ratings and the narrative reasons. Your DoD ratings are not needed for the review.

Good luck,
Ron

Correct. Which I have and sent all you mentioned in this reply. I will follow up with a county VSO in my area. Thank you so much for assistance to move forward!!!:)

Hello pepper44,

My brother was very impressed with the county VSO who helped him last year; I hope your experience will be the same.

---

I found the following from 2014 when you remarked, "I need some input on Gulf War Incurred "Presumptive" Illnesses."

"I have several of these illnesses ranging from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to Fibromyalgia, etc. The Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs, Chapter 2 Service-connected disabilities related to in-service exposures to hazards such as Gulf War Illnesses for which VA awards compensation for are considered combat-related for CRSC purposes. Also these diagnoses/undiagnosed and multi-symptoms "Presumptive" illnesses was already explained as the event (GWI. etc.) that caused the illnesses to be combat-related. I applied for CRSC and was denied 2 times. PEB denied me stating That I needed an event that caused them. Did I missed something? Please Advise!"

--
Per the VA:
VA presumes certain chronic, unexplained symptoms existing for 6 months or more are related to Gulf War service without regard to cause. These "presumptive" illnesses must have appeared during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations or by December 31, 2021, and be at least 10 percent disabling. These illnesses include:

• Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), a condition of long-term and severe fatigue that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other conditions.
  • Fibromyalgia, a condition characterized by widespread muscle pain. Other symptoms may include insomnia, morning stiffness, headache, and memory problems.
  • Functional gastrointestinal disorders, a group of conditions marked by chronic or recurrent symptoms related to any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Functional condition refers to an abnormal function of an organ, without a structural alteration in the tissues. Examples include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), functional dyspepsia, and functional abdominal pain syndrome.
  • Undiagnosed illnesses with symptoms that may include but are not limited to: abnormal weight loss, fatigue, cardiovascular disease, muscle and joint pain, headache, menstrual disorders, neurological and psychological problems, skin conditions, respiratory disorders, and sleep disturbances.
--->LINK to VA Presumptives Info

From the Army HRC CRSC Information page:
An example of "Combat Related" :
Combat-Related
  • Diabetes Type II as presumptive for Agent Orange
  • Fibromyalgia as presumptive for the Gulf War
  • Leukemia as presumptive for radiation exposure
  • A non-presumptive condition that is secondary to a presumptive condition

Ron

Cool! Thank you so much for caring and sharing! You will be the 1st to get the news when they approved me for CRSC , Sir!:)

Question for you: Did you ever apply for TSGLI for those illnesses/injuries as well? TSGLI also said they must be Combat-Related in order to be approved for insurance compensation Sir.

Last edited:
Cool! Thank you so much for caring and sharing! You will be the 1st to get the news when they approved me for CRSC , Sir!:)

Question for you: Did you ever apply for TSGLI for those illnesses/injuries as well? TSGLI also said they must be Combat-Related in order to be approved for insurance compensation Sir.
Hello,

Different war.

Most of my disabilities are associated with exposure to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam.

Regards,
Ron

CRSC claims that fall under Simulation/Instrumentality of War are probably the hardest ones to win. Unlike the VA I do not think CRSC adjudicators follow a specific manual that's also available to the public.