Disability retirement pay

heliosq

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
E7 with 13 years active duty disability retirement, 30% DOD and 100% VA. I received a letter from DFAS saying my retirement pay would be $1296 ($4174 x 0.3105 = 1296). Will I receive the 1296 in addition to the VA 100% (3200ish)

E7 with 13 years active duty disability retirement, 30% DOD and 100% VA. I received a letter from DFAS saying my retirement pay would be $1296 ($4174 x 0.3105 = 1296). Will I receive the 1296 in addition to the VA 100% (3200ish)
Hello @heliosq

Unfortunately, no. In order to receive VA compensation you had to agree to waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. In your case, that causes a total reduction of retired pay.

CRDP restores the longevity portion of waived retired pay; however, you are not eligible for CRDP.

CRSC can replace some or all of the waived retired pay upon approval. See Contemporary CRSC Information--Also See Update at Bottom of this Resource Page <---LINK

Ron

Hello @heliosq

Unfortunately, no. In order to receive VA compensation you had to agree to waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. In your case, that causes a total reduction of retired pay.

CRDP restores the longevity portion of waived retired pay; however, you are not eligible for CRDP.

CRSC can replace some or all of the waived retired pay upon approval. See Contemporary CRSC Information--Also See Update at Bottom of this Resource Page <---LINK

Ron
Thank you for your response. I was thinking that the 1296 was the residual dod retirement pay after the dollar for dollar va is offset. Because retirement for SFC with 13 years is more than the 100% VA disability

Hello @heliosq

Re: "E7 with 13 years active duty disability retirement, 30% DOD and 100% VA. I received a letter from DFAS saying my retirement pay would be $1296 ($4174 x 0.3105 = 1296). Will I receive the 1296 in addition to the VA 100% (3200ish)"

Using the info you provided.

If your high three average base pay was 4174 then...
1. 4174 x 30% = 1252.20 using disability percentage
2.. 13 yrs AD x 2.5% = 32.50% 4174 x 32.50% = 1356.55 using longevity percentage

Neither of those amounts is close to the VA offset amount (i.e., 3200ish).

Ron

@heliosq

1296/4174 = 31.05% (apparently what DFAS told you)

You told me 13 AD years which results in 13 x 2.5% = 32.5% (it seems you did not have precisely 13 yrs AD).

Ron

Edited to add: You might be thinking that 4174 is your retirement amount. It is the retirement base for computation (i.e., total of highest 36 months of pay divided by 36). You receive a percentage of that, based on the multiplier used and before the offset.

Also: 31.05/2.5% = 12.42 AD years

Last edited:
@heliosq

1296/4174 = 31.05% (apparently what DFAS told you)

You told me 13 AD years which results in 13 x 2.5% = 32.5% (it seems you did not have precisely 13 yrs AD).

Ron

Edited to add: You might be thinking that 4174 is your retirement amount. It is the retirement base for computation (i.e., total of highest 36 months of pay divided by 36). You receive a percentage of that, based on the multiplier used and before the offset.

Also: 31.05/2.5% = 12.42 AD years
Would this change if he was at least 50%? Would he have been able to keep them both?

Would this change if he was at least 50%? Would he have been able to keep them both?
50% VA compensation is the theshhold for CRDP, if otherwise qualified.

If he has 20 good years, he can apply for reserve retirement as he approaches meeting the age requirement. If rated by VA at 50% by the VA, at that time he would be eligible for CRDP.

I suspect you are speaking of (creditable for retirement ) 7200 points divided by 360 = 20 years and possibly an AD retirement. I've decided to step away from offering advice on points and their significance.
If he qualifies for an AD retirement, he would be qualified for CRDP if he has a 50% or more VA rating.

One of the reserve/NG mods would be a better source of info on that issue.
cc: @Provis @Guardguy11

Ron

Ron,
I left the military not knowing about med boards and military disability retirement. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia(100%) and had the same symptoms while I was in the military but EAS’d instead of med boarding. If I would have been med boarded and received 50-100%, would I receive military retirement disability in addition to VA compensation? I am considering applying to change my honorable discharge to medical.
Respectfully,
The onion knight

Ron,
I left the military not knowing about med boards and military disability retirement. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia(100%) and had the same symptoms while I was in the military but EAS’d instead of med boarding. If I would have been med boarded and received 50-100%, would I receive military retirement disability in addition to VA compensation? I am considering applying to change my honorable discharge to medical.
Respectfully,
The onion knight
Not unless you qualified for CRDP.

From DFAS:

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP)

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.

CRDP is a "phase in" of benefits that gradually restores a retiree's VA disability offset. This means that an eligible retiree's retired pay will gradually increase each year until the phase in is complete effective January 2014.

You do not need to apply for CRDP. If qualified, you will be enrolled automatically.

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
Ron

Hello @heliosq

Ron
Hello Ron G, I received my 199. Medically Retired ( unfit and permanent disabled), My question is will I qualify for CRSC or CRDP. I have 15.5 years in and I was AGR. My ratings are 40/100% DOD/VA. My conditions are combat related. VA payment is $3300.

Hello @RanceYP

Unless you have a 20 year letter, you are not entitled to CRDP. If you do have a 20 year letter, you would be eligible for CRDP with a 50% or more VA rating and met the age requirement for reserve/NG retirement (age 60 and that can be reduced under certain circumstances).

Here is a collection of CRSC info to answer that part of your question: Collection of CRSC information LINK <—-

Ron

T
Hello @RanceYP

Unless you have a 20 year letter, you are not entitled to CRDP. If you do have a 20 year letter, you would be eligible for CRDP with a 50% or more VA rating and met the age requirement for reserve/NG retirement (age 60 and that can be reduced under certain circumstances).

Here is a collection of CRSC info to answer that part of your question: Collection of CRSC information LINK <—-

Ron
Thank you for all your help. When can I apply for CRSC? My separation date is 12July2022.

T

Thank you for all your help. When can I apply for CRSC? My separation date is 12July2022.
You can apply 13 July 2022; however recommend waiting until DFAS has confirmed they started a retiree account for you.

Ron

If your disability rating is greater than 10% but less than 50%, you may be eligible for CRDP. Veterans who have retired from active duty are qualified for a special benefit through the CRDP that allows them to receive their VA disability benefits as well as their military retirement pay without any deductions.

If your disability rating is greater than 10% but less than 50%, you may be eligible for CRDP. Veterans who have retired from active duty are qualified for a special benefit through the CRDP that allows them to receive their VA disability benefits as well as their military retirement pay without any deductions.
Hello @ocmake

Unfortunately, CRDP and CRSC payments are not as you have described.

Current laws.

CRSC requires at least a 10% rating by the VA as disability and subsequently approved for CRSC by the service concerned. An application is required.
Note: I have CRSC @ 100%.

CRDP, requires a minimum of 50% rating by the VA and 20 years active duty OR a TERA retirement OR 20 good years as a reservist and meet the age requirement.

Ron

Last edited: