discrepancy in VA claim effective date

kmurr1231

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My husband has an VA claim in process right now. He is also an Army reservist and his contract ends in November 2018.

There is a discrepancy on the effective date for when entitlements would be back-dated too. On his ebenefits account, it shows the effective date as 2/8/2018. However, we started his claim in November 2016, and at that time, his contract was set to end in November 2017. In November 2017, he was told that he had to extend his contract while he was going through the medboard process so his new end date is November 2018. While we were working on his claim on ebenefits, we updated his end date and then ebenefits updated to show that he had until November 2019 to finish his claim. However, his MSC started a new claim in February 2018 and that is the claim that is being processed, not the one we started back in November 2016.

His MSC said he has no idea how to fix it and the VA representative we spoke with said there is no way to fix it.

Is this something that can be corrected? If so, can it be corrected before the claim process is completed or does it have to be corrected through an appeal after the fact?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

They must complete all open claims before settling so the chances of them finding the 2016 claim and adjusting it are high, in my opinion.

That is totally relying on them to do the right thing so...yeah.

I would contact your local VSO. They have access to the VA system and can peak in to see exactly what is going on. The MSC can do that as well but I digress.

Don't waste your time calling the 800 number.

They must complete all open claims before settling so the chances of them finding the 2016 claim and adjusting it are high, in my opinion.

That is totally relying on them to do the right thing so...yeah.

I would contact your local VSO. They have access to the VA system and can peak in to see exactly what is going on. The MSC can do that as well but I digress.

Don't waste your time calling the 800 number.

Thank you! I will be calling to meet with our VSO today then. I appreciate it!

MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN DECLARED 90% AND HIS DAV REP TOLD US TO SUMMIT A IU I THINK IT'S FORM 5089 FOR TOTAL IU WE SENT IT IN IN JAN THEY SAID THEY DIDN;T RECEIVE SO WE TOOK IT IN TO REGIONAL DAV REP FOR HIM TO SCAN IT AND SEND IT TO THEM HE DID SO SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE AND GAVE US A COPY I CALLED TODAY THEY SAID THEY DID'T HAVE SO I CAL THE DAV IN ST, PETER BURG AND SHE TOLD ME TO FAX IT TO HER I DID AND I CALLED TO CK TO SEE IF SHE HAD REIVED IT SHE SAID SHE HAD AND THAT SHE WAS GOING TO TAKE IT AND GIVE IT TO DAV REP AND HAVE THEM PROCESS IT SO IF THAT TRUE HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO START RECEIVING HIS FULL 100% AND DO THEY GO BACK TO THE DATE WHEN IT WAS FIRST SUBMITTED OR WOULD THEY GO BACK TO WHEN HE WAS DECLARED 100% BUT THEY DEDUCTED FROM IT BECAUSE HE WAS ALREADY RECIEVING 20% IF ANY HELP ON OUR ISSUE PLEASE REPLY

MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN DECLARED 90% AND HIS DAV REP TOLD US TO SUMMIT A IU I THINK IT'S FORM 5089 FOR TOTAL IU WE SENT IT IN IN JAN THEY SAID THEY DIDN;T RECEIVE SO WE TOOK IT IN TO REGIONAL DAV REP FOR HIM TO SCAN IT AND SEND IT TO THEM HE DID SO SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE AND GAVE US A COPY I CALLED TODAY THEY SAID THEY DID'T HAVE SO I CAL THE DAV IN ST, PETER BURG AND SHE TOLD ME TO FAX IT TO HER I DID AND I CALLED TO CK TO SEE IF SHE HAD REIVED IT SHE SAID SHE HAD AND THAT SHE WAS GOING TO TAKE IT AND GIVE IT TO DAV REP AND HAVE THEM PROCESS IT SO IF THAT TRUE HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO START RECEIVING HIS FULL 100% AND DO THEY GO BACK TO THE DATE WHEN IT WAS FIRST SUBMITTED OR WOULD THEY GO BACK TO WHEN HE WAS DECLARED 100% BUT THEY DEDUCTED FROM IT BECAUSE HE WAS ALREADY RECIEVING 20% IF ANY HELP ON OUR ISSUE PLEASE REPLY

The IU form is VA Form 21-8940, you also want to submit A VA form 21-4192 employer information signed by the previous employers. You must submit all the employers with in the last year of employment. When the VA receives your form they will send the veteran out for exams. The examiner will determine if any of the veterans service connected disabilities impacts their ability for employment. Hope this helps

Troy