Do I get my medical retirement after I am discharged?

Sonny63b20

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am national guard. I have been rated by the DoD at 70%, by the VA at 80%. Not combat related. I know I get my VA right away, but do I get and DoD medical retirement and when?

LeoS

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
To give you a quick baseline answer.
Unless you have 20 years of AFS, you will be ineligible to draw both (CRDP). You will get an offset. If your VA pay is higher than your DOD %, you will draw the VA pay.
The variables I have not measured in this case is rank, TIS, AFS, and High 3.

LeoS

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Tricare is your primary benefit from your military retirement.
And your VA pay will be enduring.

Sonny63b20

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My Attorney-Adviser from the medical evaluation board counsel told me i will receive an offset right away after separation, but my PEBLO said not until age 60. I guess I don't know who to believe.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Comments for this case.

1. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation. You keep any residual (left over).

2. You are not eligible for CRDP per your remarks unless you have a 20 year letter and are eligible for a reserve retirement at age 60 or so.

3. You are not eligible for CRSC per your comments.

It appears all you will receive in your pocket is the VA compensation unless you have residual retired pay left from the waiver/reduction.

Ron

LeoS

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
PEBLO information can be inaccurate sometimes. You will get an offset if your DOD pay is higher than your VA disability pay; in that case, they would be correct.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
“ Get Offset” does not result in something gained in these cases. It is the reduction of retired pay by the amount of VA comp.

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If your retired pay is higher than the VA comp, you will receive residual retired pay...not offset.

Ron

Sonny63b20

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So will i receive the residual pay right away or at age 60? Sorry but this is all very new to me.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Re: “My Attorney-Adviser from the medical evaluation board counsel told me i will receive an offset right away after separation, but my PEBLO said not until age 60. I guess I don't know who to believe.”

The attorney is talking about the reduction in retired pay...not something you actually gain benefits from...

The PEBLO, if quoted accurately, is confused. I doubt it was stated as shown in this thread (i.e., more to it).

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
So will i receive the residual pay right away or at age 60? Sorry but this is all very new to me.
You might not have residual retired pay. Most CH 61 retirees do not.

Does your retirement pay exceed your VA comp? The amount that exceeds the VA waiver/reduction is residual retired pay.

Ron

Last edited:

Sonny63b20

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Yes I will have residual pay. I just don't know when I will get it. Right away or at age 60

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Residual retired pay would be received each month under the circumstances you presented.

Another matter: Do you have a 20-year letter for reserve retirement once you meet the age requirement for RC retirement?

Ron

Sonny63b20

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
No I will be out of the reserves with 17 years of service. My Attorney-Adviser figured my Medical retirement would be around 3600.00 my VA disability is 2033.00 So my residual pay would be around 1567.00. He said i would get that immediately after separation. My PEBLO said not until age 60. So really I have no idea which one it is.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@Sonny63b20 ,

Based on the info you provided, you will receive the residual retired pay immediately.

3600/0.70 = ~5143 average high three base pay. Does that appear to be your high three?

5143 high three x 70% = ~3600

Ron

Last edited:
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">