Do I qualify for BAH? Unique situation, advise requested

tomber

Registered Member
Hi and thank you for your input. My situation is this:

I am an E-4 and was recently and unexpectedly diagnosed with cancer while active duty, and it was not a pre-existing condition. I was quickly attached to a WTB unit at my base while sent to a college hospital where I have received in-patient care for the last month and am about to be released to go live with relatives in my home state off base.

I don't know what the Army expects, but I plan on paying some rent and my cost of living is going to go up (no dfac, travel to outpatient care at least one a week to a place 1 1/2 hours away, misc expenses).

Is it normal to expect BAH in this case or should I assume that it just won't happen because I'm only an E-4? I'm just concerned because my financial situation is going to be harder and I don't want to end up getting out of the military with no good savings.

Thank you for your advice

You should be able to get BAH anytime the Army does not provide housing. Are you being released on convalesce leave? BAH should be automatic while on leave. Things may get strange if they are transferring you as part of their home based WTB type program.

You should be able to claim travel expenses with TRICARE if your care is that far away too btw.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to be a part of some weird WTB as I understand. The travel expenses are covered. I should find out the answer to my own question here in a couple days and I'll report back so other people can use that as a reference. The whole process has beem pretty vague so getting some clarification will be great.

If you are going to get orders (which, it sounds like you should), read the orders and see what they say about allowances/BAH. Also, you can read the DoD Financial Management Regulation (FMR) and the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR) to see if you should get BAH in various circumstances.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I think the other people gave you some sound advise. Stay strong, prays with you.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I think the other people gave you some sound advise. Stay strong, prays with you.

I was attached to a WTU where I was then transfered to my home of record (my home).

I was on orders the entire time and I was paid BAH. I was on 12301(h) orders for medical treatment and evaluation - which eventually led to my medical discharge.

But I did receive BAH the entire time I was at home on those 12301(h) orders.

3 1/2 years.

nwlivewire

A reservist isn't supposed to be deactivated until medically cleared. So when a reservist is found to need a MEB they are kept on, but the rest of the unit is gone, so they are put in a WTU. Many don't need a WTU so they created the CCU so they could go home and wait for the MEB process. The worry I'd have is they treated you like a reservist, CCUs weren't really designed for your scenario. Reservists get BAH the entire time on orders, so a CCU causes no change. A CCU is considered a part of the WTU, so it be like switching to a different company, not a PCS. PCS is normally the only event that auto triggers a BAH check.

FMR volume 7a chapter 25 covers BAS, you should get that at full rate now.
JFTR volume 1 chapter 10 covers BAH, you should get that at the single rate.
References those if someone tells you there is no need to give you those monies. There should be a form to fill out for BAH to start, BAS is just a memo from the commander and S1 sending info to finance.