script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

"Do Not Retain"

jrb2104

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I got the Do Not Retain from the Commander and so I was curious to see if anyone stayed in after receiving that statement from the CC. I'm in the beginning stages of this process and my CC impact statement was last thing completed. I am now just waiting for next step and I am not sure which direction I am headed at this point.

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It is all part of a big equation. It is not the "line in the sand" but it is weighed pretty highly at the IPEB. If you goal is to stay in, I would review you NARSUM and see if you are going to have a fighting chance. If your impact statement says do not retain and your NARSUM supports this statement, your chances of staying in are minimal. Not to add stress to an already stressful situation, but this knowledge will hopefully help you stay ahead of the power curve on what is going to be headed your way.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The commanders recommendation will sway a case that is in the gray zone. But if you are clearly fit/unfit, that is what you will get.

tellmeaboutit427

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
It is all part of a big equation. It is not the "line in the sand" but it is weighed pretty highly at the IPEB. If you goal is to stay in, I would review you NARSUM and see if you are going to have a fighting chance. If your impact statement says do not retain and your NARSUM supports this statement, your chances of staying in are minimal. Not to add stress to an already stressful situation, but this knowledge will hopefully help you stay ahead of the power curve on what is going to be headed your way.
So, on this. If your commander in the CIS put “retain.” However the NARSUM and members rebuttal to the impact statement indicate it is unfitting. Will the board usually go with the commanders recommendation? The local MEB noted my commanders recommendation, but concluded the condition was unfitting and had it sent to the IPEB.

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, on this. If your commander in the CIS put “retain.” However the NARSUM and members rebuttal to the impact statement indicate it is unfitting. Will the board usually go with the commanders recommendation? The local MEB noted my commanders recommendation, but concluded the condition was unfitting and had it sent to the IPEB.
The IPEB is a group of medical professionals. If you are medically unfit, it's not going to matter what your commander says ultimately. The biggest impact a CIS can have is if the member wants to stay in and the commander says they can perform their duties within the scope of their disability. The becomes a situation where the IPEB has to weigh the medical evidence versus military need.

tellmeaboutit427

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The IPEB is a group of medical professionals. If you are medically unfit, it's not going to matter what your commander says ultimately. The biggest impact a CIS can have is if the member wants to stay in and the commander says they can perform their duties within the scope of their disability. The becomes a situation where the IPEB has to weigh the medical evidence versus military need.
Thank you for your insight.