Dod and va pay

Waterboi

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just say I receieve my NLT day for June 1 how does the pay work from that point forward. Just say my ratings are 30% dod and 80% VA. I’m very confused on how the pay works. I hear a bunch of different things. How long will it take to get paid? Roughly. I heard dod starts paying at first and it’s taxed but when does the va kick in. Anyone that been through the process already your input is highly valued. Thank you!

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Just say I receieve my NLT day for June 1 how does the pay work from that point forward. Just say my ratings are 30% dod and 80% VA. I’m very confused on how the pay works. I hear a bunch of different things. How long will it take to get paid? Roughly. I heard dod starts paying at first and it’s taxed but when does the va kick in. Anyone that been through the process already your input is highly valued. Thank you!
Hello,

Assuming you do not qualify for another type retirement.

Your pay and compensation:

1. You will receive all your VA compensation. See Compensation Rates LINK <---

2. Your retired pay will be High three average base pay x 30% = DoD disability retired pay
Note: High three is the total of your highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36.

3. Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. In your case (30%), you likely will have zero retired pay remaining.

4. If you have combat related disabilities, see CRSC info LINK <----

Ron

mg1109

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm trying to figure out the same thing at the moment, timeline wise.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
It is my understanding that initially, one does not receive VA compensation...so the payment of Retired Pay is done without the reduction at first.

Reason: The first accrual of VA compensation is the first day of the month following the month having the effective date.

Example:
--last day AD and separation date: 14 June
--Entered into retired status: 15 June
--VA comp effective date: 15 June
--First accrual of VA comp: 1-31 July
--First Payment of VA comp: on/about 1 August (for 1-31 July)

Ron
cc: @Waterboi
@mg1109

NJOnguard

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Do you have 20 years of service on the reserve us if you have a 28 letter
Do you have 20 years of service or reservist if you have a 20 yr letter

NJOnguard

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The amount of your disability retired pay is determined by one of three methods:

1. The first method is to multiply your multiplier by your base pay or the average of highest 36 months of active duty pay at the time of retirement by the percentage of disability which has been assigned. However, the minimum percentage for temporary disability retirees will equal 50%. The maximum percentage for any type of retirement is 75%.
  2. The second method is to multiply only your years of active service at the time of your retirement by 2.5% by your base pay or the average of highest 36 months of active duty pay at the time of retirement.
  3. The third method applies to you if you were eligible to retire/transfer under any other law. DFAS will compute your entitlements using both methods above, and use the one which results in the greatest amount of retired pay. If you desire that another method is used, you may request it in writing.
--

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The amount of your disability retired pay is determined by one of three methods:

1. The first method is to multiply your multiplier by your base pay or the average of highest 36 months of active duty pay at the time of retirement by the percentage of disability which has been assigned. However, the minimum percentage for temporary disability retirees will equal 50%. The maximum percentage for any type of retirement is 75%.
  2. The second method is to multiply only your years of active service at the time of your retirement by 2.5% by your base pay or the average of highest 36 months of active duty pay at the time of retirement.
  3. The third method applies to you if you were eligible to retire/transfer under any other law. DFAS will compute your entitlements using both methods above, and use the one which results in the greatest amount of retired pay. If you desire that another method is used, you may request it in writing
Very good. The info you posted is accurate and I had taken a short-cut since he said, "Just say my ratings are 30% dod and 80% VA." Most CH 61 retirees receive the DoD percentage rather than the longevity; however, there are those who do qualify for the "high three average base pay x 2.5% (or blended retirement percentage) longevity method." A separate matter: He gave no indication that he had 20 good years.

He also made no mention of CRSC so I did not discuss that either. If one goes back and reads his six total posts, there are a couple of scenario mentioned.

Bottom line: Your quotation is accurate. Thank you for the correction.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">