DOD % and VA %????

AF_ AD17yr

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
If you are medically retired from service at 17yrs with a Did rating 30%or higher, do you receive retirement pay as well as VA disability payments? Is there ever a situation where this is the case if you don't retire at or after 20yrs.? Thanks

Concurrent receipt requires 20 years.

What happens is you will get a choice of receiving the VA payment, or
Payment from your service: % payout of your UNFITTING conditions or time in service pay(2.5 *years of service*high 36 pay); which ever is greater of the two from the Army etc...
But this is not added to your VA is instead of it, & it is taxed. Most folks pick the VA because it has all your conditions, not just your unfitting ones. You are not allowed to get payed for the same thing by two agencies. But if you have 20 or more years. You can do the concurrent pay, but since you don't, you may be able to get CRSC if any of your conditions meet the criteria. If you have any Wounded warrior program folks they may be able to help you get the packet together. & you should check out all the topics here with a CRSC search. Good luck.

To bad that Congress wouldn't hurry and pass the HR 303 bill. It restores anyone with Chp 61 retirement under 20 active years that has a 100% disability to receive both. Here is what I found on the net researching this. Effective Jan 2015 but not sure if anyone falls within this and is receiving both?

Sorry forgot to upload the file.

Attachments

• HR 303 Restates 100% gets both.PNG
    HR 303 Restates 100% gets both.PNG
    113.6 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for sharing!
HR 303 has not become a law. The last action I noticed regarding this bill:
02/21/2017 Referred to the Subcommittee on Military Personnel.
Action By: Committee on Armed Services

H.R. 303 is a bill in the United States Congress.

A bill must be passed by both the House and Senate in identical form and then be signed by the President to become law.

What happens is you will get a choice of receiving the VA payment, or
Payment from your service: % payout of your UNFITTING conditions or time in service pay(2.5 *years of service*high 36 pay); which ever is greater of the two from the Army etc...
But this is not added to your VA is instead of it, & it is taxed. Most folks pick the VA because it has all your conditions, not just your unfitting ones. You are not allowed to get payed for the same thing by two agencies. But if you have 20 or more years. You can do the concurrent pay, but since you don't, you may be able to get CRSC if any of your conditions meet the criteria. If you have any Wounded warrior program folks they may be able to help you get the packet together. & you should check out all the topics here with a CRSC search. Good luck.
Interesting. So since my UNFITTING rating is 30% and my total VA rating is 60%, and I’m at 18 yrs, I have a choice? My VA letter just says I will receive $1189/mo and I don’t know where that number came from, and the letter didn’t mention anything about having a choice. My PEBLO didn’t mention anything about it either. I obviously don’t understand the process very well.
I’m just hoping that appealing will let me apply for a retirement date in 9 months.