DoD Pain Scale 1-10 and Disability

TallTree

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I saw elsewhere in the forum that some people underrepresented their pain measured from 1-10 because they weren’t using the official DoD/VA definitions (https://www.va.gov/PAINMANAGEMENT/docs/DVPRS_2slides_and_references.pdf). Are there any differences in ratings that depend on what level of pain you report? I know for many things it comes down to range of movement.

Pain is very subjective. While pain is compensable, it is an extremely hard to rate.

Interesting observation. Every time I go to the MTF they ask my pain rating. They never have the chart that explains their pain scale, but ask for a number anyway.

If you look at the VASRD closely, it is almost always that range of motion is what it compensates for... pain is never the compensator factor... people are always better off stopping thier own range of motion when pain gets too much... the VASRD is written to compensate range of motion and NOT pain...

Pain is compensable.

How is pain compensated? For example, according to that pain chart, I have chronic 5-6 pain in my tibia due to a bone tumor surgery. It doesn’t really affect my knee or ankle, as it’s in my shin, but it does prevent me from doing quite a few things (running, walking more than 30 minutes, etc).

the best I could find when I searched “site:va.gov “citation” pain” and other variants is the appellants will get 10% for post surgery residuals but I’ve never seen anything higher. Am I missing something?