DOD PDBR Results letter Today

Good morning. Not sure if I am posting in the right forum. Question(s) I have. From my understanding, the PEB is supposed to adopt the VARSD for rating. If the C&P exam (s) are 12 months and older. I received my DA 199 on Tuesday and it has me permanent retired @ 30 % for anxiety disorder nos. But the PEB used my rating from 2015. And the reason I am saying this. The code they used for anxiety disorder nos is coded for Major depressive disorder. That is what the VA rated me for back in 2015 @ 30%. My recent C&P exam stated for PEB purpose a 50% proposed rating for Anxiety disorder nos. What are my chances of getting the PEB to change the rating to 50%?

Is this for a PDBR review? If it is, they have to use the first exam as it is closest to how you were when you left service. Since disabilities can progress after onset they use the oldest exam when reviewing the claim.

I had to consult with legal about my rating. Two days later I get a new DA 199 with 50% and permanent retired.

I am just watiing on my retirement orders now. Hopefully, I will have them bu the end of this month.

How long ago did they sign off? It takes about 4 months for orders after DDA signs off.

Congratulations on your retirement!!

Please don't say that. I signed off on my DA 199 on the 4th of this month. My PEBLO told me if I did not hear from her within 25 days, to contact her.

But the military signed off accepting the decision earlier than that:) you’re probably a couple months in or more if she had a 199 for you!

According to IDES. It has me being completed in April. I am a reservist, so I hope that plays a part of me getting out sooner.

Question: how is it they can hold back money from the severance pay allowance, when it was suppose to be paid back before you could start receiving your full VA compensation? It’s that repaying twice?

Also is there anyone here who can help with the completion of DD Form 294 so that I do everything right the first time or is there a professional that you all went through? I was giving 20% and unfit for duty and VA gave me 40% then. 11 years later after many fights VA increased me to 90% this year. Is this worth it to do this if they taking more money from me if it goes through?

Yes, and I was finally determined by the VA in 2009 to be 100% totally and permanent. No more re-evlauations appts and Chapter 35 benefits kicked in as well. I won't go into details about Chapter 35 benefits but they far exceed what the Army would be giving as a retired soldier. Anyway, I plan to elect to continue to received my tax free monies from the VA. In fact, when I was placed on TDRL back in 2000 and my VA rating came back in 2001, DFAS asked me did I want to continue to get the Army TDRL retirement pay or recieve pay from VA which was TAX FREE. I choose the Tax free money.
Although the quoted material is from 2013, I think a clarification concerning CH 61 retirees is warranted.
1. Disability retirees must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. In some cases, not all the retired pay is waived; consequently, the retiree keeps the residual retired pay.
2. It is not a simple one or the other. There is still an accounting of retired pay, although in many cases it is all waived.
3. The election to receive VA compensation and waive retired pay is on the VA claim form. Again, not all cases involve a total waiver.
4. Regular retirees, reserve retirees and TERA retirees, also waive retired pay in the same manner if their VA rating is 40% or less.
5. CRDP for reserve retirement, regular, and TERA allows Concurrent Receipt if eligible.
6. CRSC can replace some or all waived retired pay if approved by one’s service.

Ron

After, 14 long months, I finally got my letter today.

TDRL: May 2000 60% Systemic Lupus 6350
VA Rating: Oct 2001 100% Systemic Lupus 6350
PEB Final: May 2004. 10% severance Systemic Lupus 6350
PDBR paper work submitted May 2012
I accept the recommendation of The Department of Defense Physical Disability Board of Review to re-characterized your separation as a disability retirement with the combined disability rating of 60% rather than 10% effective the date of your medical separation for disability with severance pay.

The re-characterization of your separation as a disability retirement will result in an adjustment to your pay providing retirement pay from the date of your original medical separation minus the amount of severance pay you were previously paid at separation.

What do I do next all input is appreciated.

Thanks
Robbin

After, 14 long months, I finally got my letter today.

TDRL: May 2000 60% Systemic Lupus 6350
VA Rating: Oct 2001 100% Systemic Lupus 6350
PEB Final: May 2004. 10% severance Systemic Lupus 6350
PDBR paper work submitted May 2012

I accept the recommendation of The Department of Defense Physical Disability Board of Review to re-characterized your separation as a disability retirement with the combined disability rating of 60% rather than 10% effective the date of your medical separation for disability with severance pay.

The re-characterization of your separation as a disability retirement will result in an adjustment to your pay providing retirement pay from the date of your original medical separation minus the amount of severance pay you were previously paid at separation.

What do I do next all input is appreciated.

Thanks
Robbin
Great news. My situation is very similar with the rating for Lupus and time on TDRL etc. It has been a year since I sent in PDBR packet. No one answers the emails for status updates, so I guess I will be waiting a while. Again congrats on your retirement. I am on chemo right now for my lupus so take care of yourself!

Something to keep in mind when considering retroactive retired pay...

1. Retirees must waive/lose retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Example: Retired pay $2000 and VA compensation $1500 = 2000 minus 1500 results in $500 retired pay to the retiree. This applies to both payments in real time and those made retroactively. I suspect the recoupment of severance pay would be applied before the waiver...just an opinion about that aspect of the process.

2. CRDP restores waived retired pay, but a Chapter 61 retiree would have to qualify for another type retirement (e.g., reserve, regular) in addition to the disability retirement. Other requirements include having a VA rating 50% or more.

3. Approved CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) can replace some or all of waived retired pay, including that paid retroactively. One can download CRSC information at
this LINK to CRSC information.

Ron

Last edited:
Stupid question here, I am not very familiar with Lupus, but reading this post makes me ask the question- if Lupus 100% Disabling then how can say, an individual be on flight status while receiving treatment and medications for this condition?

Supposedly, IAW folks lower AL have met- an Active Guard LTC(?) that had this condition while serving active-being treated Lupus- while on flight status , and then went on to command supposedly an aviation unit of some sort somewhere? Is that possible with Lupus, if it is that chronically disabling???????

Thanks, just curious........may or may not know the answer.....??????

(interesting Avatars that sometimes flash on screen here are simply like "click" bate.....such as rojo's love it)

Last edited:
Lupus in General affrect everyone differently. For example I had lots of flares and mostly joint pain and swelling then my organs got involved. Currently I am on chemo. I think depending on your unit/job and how your lupus manifest might play a part

Hmckie- thanks, if it affects your joints, then can you fly-say commercial air, without it flaring up or your joints hurting worse due to pressure and altitude.....?????? Also, medication to treat Lupus, as per my above example, very strong as well as expensive per my understanding- and usually medications like that come all sorts side-effect's from drowsiness, tremors to all sorts other weird stuff......????

Lupus...definitely not something, I think anyone wants.... like being diagnosed "schizo-effective disorder" or "personality disorder"..... feel for you Hmckie....

Hmckie- thanks, if it affects your joints, then can you fly-say commercial air, without it flaring up or your joints hurting worse due to pressure and altitude.....?????? Also, medication to treat Lupus, as per my above example, very strong as well as expensive per my understanding- and usually medications like that come all sorts side-effect's from drowsiness, tremors to all sorts other weird stuff......????

Lupus...definitely not something, I think anyone wants.... like being diagnosed "schizo-effective disorder" or "personality disorder"..... feel for you Hmckie....
Umm as a mental health professional I think the comparison is a bit off, but ok. Hope you find the answers you are looking for

Umm as a mental health professional I think the comparison is a bit off, but ok. Hope you find the answers you are looking for

Wonder, how that is, given per US DVA own statistics, if accurate, "schizo-effective disorder" or "personality disorder" are among the most severe mental illnesses (not personality disorder- but personality disorder simply one of one's most often used inaccurately US DVA- once again per statistics, reporting etc...to avoid service connection PTSD, Depression, etc....) and many vets unfortunately diagnosed this accurately or inaccurately, if accurately- schizo-effective disorder it is a very troubling disorder that truly adversely affects their lives greatly, kind of like LUPUS, if inaccurately it also sadly does the same, but think causes more harm as can be utilized by others, even US DVA, and as justification of not so good things.....in the US today....

For instance know a vet, GULF COAST VA SYSTEM/VISN-16; had to fight get in a "specialty" clinic (as per usual), then while in said clinic the US DVA Provider, among whole host other things had "snuff" in their mouth entire time seeing them, and a MH diagnosis was used to try and negate what veteran complained to proper US DVA authorities about.......and placed in their records US DVA as such.....(could go on with that very similar vein...)

Also, was really curious on flying piece, did not answer- that is OK, as know some whom, have issues akin, thanks - in large part to the US DVA, to what you are describing, via LUPUS w/ joints as well as ears, sinuses, teeth, veins etc...and not so sure they can fly commercial air anymore.....??????

But thanks Hmckie...........greatly appreciate time took to respond......

Last edited: