DOD rating for mastectomy

Shera

Registered Member
Hi there. I am contemplating undergoing MEB primarily for a labral tear in my hip that was previously repaired but has re-torn. However, from what I am reading it looks like I would only get 10% for that since my range of motion isn’t too affected (it just hurts). I did have a mastectomy 5 years ago, which doesn’t affect my ability to do my job but it does affect my ability to take an APFT. With the upcoming ACFT, it will prevent me from doing several events. On the VASRD under code 7626, a unilateral mastectomy is listed as 30%. My question is, does that go for the DOD rating as well? Or just the VA rating? Thank you in advance.

Hello,

The DoD will only give Military Disability Ratings for conditions that make a service member unfit for duty.

Unfit for duty means that the service member is unable to perform the duties of his/her office, grade or rank, including, but not limited to:

– perform his/her job requirements
– fulfill his/her military responsibilities
– meet his/her physical fitness requirements
– be deployed
– wear his/her equipment and gear

Conversely, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) rates and gives VA Disability Benefits to Disabled Veterans with all serviced connected medical disabilities.

As you know, some of the VA rated disabilities may not be considered as being unfitting for continued military service. It not unusual for a VA total rating to be higher than a DoD rating.

Good luck,
Ron

Ron,

Thank you for the reply! Does not being able to do the new ACFT (assuming no alternate events are offered) count as unfit for duty under the “meet his/her physical fitness requirements”?

Shera,

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to your question. I would think that since multiple failures on the physical fitness test (I was Army almost 3 decades ago) would be grounds for a bar to reenlistment, etc., the same would be true (used) for an unfit rating if the cause was service connected.

The above is conjecture on my part.

Please see your message mailbox for a reference.

Ron

Last edited:
Each service has guidance on what is unfitting. Those regs/instructions... are found in the Resources tab of this website.