script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

DOD Rating

Nassr81

Registered Member
Hi,
Quick question,
If iam rated 30% VA for right arm Cubital Tunnel Syndrome ( ulnar Nerve) is going to be the same rating with DOD ?
Thank you

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi,
Quick question,
If iam rated 30% VA for right arm Cubital Tunnel Syndrome ( ulnar Nerve) is going to be the same rating with DOD ?
Thank you
If that was your referred unfitting condition and you are in IDES then yes. DOD has to follow VA ratings in IDES.

Jesusej19

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Not that I know of. I was rated 60 for heart condition, and when it came to the MEB process, I got a call from the VA to make my appt due to the MEB process. They warned me that doing this my rating can go up or down.

Nassr81

Registered Member
Not that I know of. I was rated 60 for heart condition, and when it came to the MEB process, I got a call from the VA to make my appt due to the MEB process. They warned me that doing this my rating can go up or down.
Thank you for the info

TheZing

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have two questions about the DoD ratings. I know they are supposed to mirror the VA findings but I have 5 conditions that are on there (as referred conditions), will they mirror all of those or do some weird roundabout VA math too?

Also, there is one rating I know I am going to need to fight (that is a referred condition) if I'm 30%+ for the DoD I just want to get out and fight it on the VA side...will that affect anything DoD or should I go ahead and fight it while I'm in?

Sorry if my questions are confusing, my whole situation seems to be that way lol. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have two questions about the DoD ratings. I know they are supposed to mirror the VA findings but I have 5 conditions that are on there (as referred conditions), will they mirror all of those or do some weird roundabout VA math too?

Also, there is one rating I know I am going to need to fight (that is a referred condition) if I'm 30%+ for the DoD I just want to get out and fight it on the VA side...will that affect anything DoD or should I go ahead and fight it while I'm in?

Sorry if my questions are confusing, my whole situation seems to be that way lol. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!
They mirror each other. So if rated 30% migraines and its unfitting condition by IPEB then your DOD % is 30%. When they do the DOD % they do use the VA math. So if Rated 60% DOD and & 10% DOD the total would still be 60%. 100-60 = 40. 10% of 40 = 4. 60+4 = 64. Round down to 60. Would need 65 to round up to 70.

Lastly, if rating is wrong on DOD% then request VARR now so its reflected correctly for DOD and VA %. They only reason I would not bother if its because it change my overall DOD % such as you are maxed at 75% DOD which is the highest percentage you can get by law.

TheZing

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
They mirror each other. So if rated 30% migraines and its unfitting condition by IPEB then your DOD % is 30%. When they do the DOD % they do use the VA math. So if Rated 60% DOD and & 10% DOD the total would still be 60%. 100-60 = 40. 10% of 40 = 4. 60+4 = 64. Round down to 60. Would need 65 to round up to 70.

Lastly, if rating is wrong on DOD% then request VARR now so its reflected correctly for DOD and VA %. They only reason I would not bother if its because it change my overall DOD % such as you are maxed at 75% DOD which is the highest percentage you can get by law.
Thank you. So yes let me try to put this in perspective I am rated for a condition that the VA put at 20% but it should be 40%. Then I am rated for four other things 10% each. (All of these are referred conditions)
I need to change it at least on the VA side but if the DoD side is “ok” should I just wait?

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you. So yes let me try to put this in perspective I am rated for a condition that the VA put at 20% but it should be 40%. Then I am rated for four other things 10% each. (All of these are referred conditions)
I need to change it at least on the VA side but if the DoD side is “ok” should I just wait?
If it's an unfitting condition then you can request a VARR to get the rate reconsidered. If its not unfitting condition that contributes to your DOD% then you will need to wait to get out and request increase with the VA.

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
BTW the DOD% affects your retirement amount so ALWAYS request VARR if not properly rated by the VA. That higher DOD % will increase your compensation and won't changed if put on PDRL list.