DoD Recovering Warrior Task Force Panel

I was recently contacted by a staff member from the DoD Recovering Warrior Task Force. There is a panel discussion that they are holding in the Crystal City (Arlington), VA on Dec. 5, and they are looking for interested members going through the IDES. I was asked to post this announcement (which sounds like a good opportunity for people to have their concerns heard):

The DoD Recovering Warrior Task Force (RWTF) is seeking Wounded, Ill, or Injured Service members who are in the Integrated Disability System Evaluation System (IDES) process, preparing for transition to civilian life, and willing to participate in a panel discussion.

The RWTF was established by Congress in 2010 to provide DoD with advice and recommendations on matters relating to the care, recovery, and transition of Recovering Warriors. Each year, the RWTF submits its recommendations to the Secretary of Defense in an Annual Report. Visithttp://dtf.defense.gov/rwtf/index.html for further information about the RWTF, including links to its FY2011 and FY2012 annual reports.

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012, the RWTF will be meeting in Crystal City (Arlington, VA). As part of the meeting agenda, the RWTF will hold a 90-minute panel discussion with several Wounded, Ill, or Injured Service members going through IDES and preparing for transition to civilian life. Panel participants will be asked to talk about the services available to them during the transition period. There are no right or wrong answers. The panel participants’ input will supplement what the RWTF hears from Wounded, Ill, and Injured Service members in the field, and will inform the RWTF’s FY2013 recommendations.

If you live in the vicinity of Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, or Maryland, and are interested in participating in this panel discussion or would like to get more information, please email the RWTF at [email protected] or call the RWTF’sOperations Director, Mr. John Booton, at 202-689-5961 .

That sucks.. My Sister In-Law is a GS14 for the VA... she was telling me the VA is still very much hiring. I have received some calls for EOD work with the TSA... however there are 100's of EOD Techs competing for the same job.. and honestly, I am not wanting to go back into that job field anymore. I think it is just sad that a Veteran with a degree and 8+ years of leadership experience, cant seem to get a government job due to either the length in application processing or the bureaucratic BS they have to go through (i.e. Certain of number of Credits in college, in a certain field of study) Silly.

The Federal government is not in a hiring freeze. It has slowed down, but they are still filing positions. I ended up a GS 12 with DCMA. If it's not too bold to ask, can you send me a copy of your FED resume EOD? I spent a lot of time and energy perfecting mine, and may be able to help you proof yours. I can also give you a copy of mine.I ended up being referred on a lot of applications. I did this without the ten point preference so I think I have a pretty good grasp on what they want.

I know it is completely stupid how long the process takes, but it is what it is. Just keep trying. PM me and I will give you my email address.

Joe

The Federal government is not in a hiring freeze. It has slowed down, but they are still filing positions. I ended up a GS 12 with DCMA. If it's not too bold to ask, can you send me a copy of your FED resume EOD? I spent a lot of time and energy perfecting mine, and may be able to help you proof yours. I can also give you a copy of mine.I ended up being referred on a lot of applications. I did this without the ten point preference so I think I have a pretty good grasp on what they want.

I know it is completely stupid how long the process takes, but it is what it is. Just keep trying. PM me and I will give you my email address.

Joe

Thanks for helping...this is definitely in keeping with the spirit and purpose of this site. Call it what you want, leadership, paying it forward, karma, or taking care of others, this is what is needed.

Thanks for helping...this is definitely in keeping with the spirit and purpose of this site. Call it what you want, leadership, paying it forward, karma, or taking care of others, this is what is needed.
I couldn't have said it any better - Thanks ranger - and everyone else that is still around since I signed up anyways. And all you newcomers that are still on the fence about posting, be it you've found your answer and just waiting or if you're scared to post out of fear of reprisal someway. DON'T - post here and we'll all see what we can do to help point you in the right direction. Hell some of us may even still be in the area, I'm not but I still know all the information about my last duty station SHAW AFB, SC to help assist folks there for some specifics.

Keep it up pebforum.com
-Scott

Unfortunately I do not live in the area. It seems to me that one of the biggest problems I have seen is how Service Members are treated by their COCs during the MEB/PEB process. Personally, my COC has been fully supportive. Another issue that is very common is the lack of true transparency and communication with the service members. MEB offices are under-staffed and PEBLOs are over-worked. The VA in itself, with some exceptions, is a quagmire of red tape and political BS that would even send the Dalai Lama on a shooting spree. Just my .02 cents but if you are attending, take note.

Exactly, prior to my jump injury, I have never had a negative counseling as a soldier and as a NCO I've had all NCOERs 1 blocked, except for my most recent, which I got while going through my MEB, ironic huh? I was not supported at all by my CoC and in fact, have been "head hunted" and threatened with malingering and everything else they could attempt to throw at me. Luckily I knew my rights along with Regs and Policy and I told my 1SG that berating me or slander against me would be handled at the appropriate level. Guess he thought I was kidding when a week later he attempted to render UCMJ for malingering, luckily I had just gotten my 1st MRI and between a Col with my Pain Clinic calling him and me requesting a Trial by Court Martial, it was squashed 2 days later. Even now I have to fight 2 uphill battles between IDES and CoC.
Overall it's left a bad taste in my mouth, at first I wanted to stay in, get better and continue to serve. But seeing Leaders completely abuse their rank, at EVERY level, in the name of proving a point, I'm done with it. It was bad, and still this same 1SG is in position after saying things like
"nobody owes you shit, you better hope I never see you at the VA"
(after giving his address out during Safety Brief) "if you think you're a man, come to my house"
(during an NCO only formation) "you're all pussies, if anyone thinks they're a man then step forward"

I could seriously go on and on. Sad part is I know people in other Battalions that have similar Leaders. That's the way in the might 82nd Airborne Division. Look out for your own and use Regs when only convenient for you and your agenda.

Thank you for your response. It sounds like you have many thoughts to share regarding transition services for Recovering Warriors. Would you be interested in submitting a statement to the Recovering Warrior Task Force? Each of the members would be provided a copy and, if time permits, your statement will be read to the Task Force during a public forum on Tuesday, 15 January 2013. The information you provide will help inform the Task Force on recommendations they make in the upcoming year.

V/R,
Karen Wessels

Ms Wessels,
I apologize for the late response, but hope to share this with someone or anybody that can clarify why I am considered a presumed fit Marine:
I have been in the Marine Corps for almost 27 years and have served with distinction. My career had flourished from the day I took my oath and comimtted to serving my country. I will only give you the "wave top" version, in an attempt to open someone's eyes to what is actually taking place. Accordingly, here are the details that has caused me tremendous depression and left me with a sad state of affairs.

My performance for 27 years has been noteworthy. In 2008, it culminated in an early selection to E9, a feat that only happened in about 1 of 2000 occurrences. My accolades were extensive from my branch of service and the community service endeavors, for which I was recognized by the City of Atlanta, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina as Serviceman of the Year 2004. I deployed to Somalia in 1994 and Fallujah, Irag in 2006. Throughout my career since 1993, I had been battling uncontrolled hypertension. I did many week long and 3 day observations to try and pinpoint the correct medications to controll it. In 2008, it had elevated to a point, that I had to check myself into the Naval Hospital for treatment one day. Hours later, I was on a "life flight" to a Cardiac Care Center in Wilmington, North Carolina. A cardiac catherization was done and through God's graces, it came back negative. I digress to a couple of years earlier, when I was deployed to Iraq with 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion. Fallujah was still a very dangerous place for our troops and the constant reminder of IED's was rampant. As the unit Supply Chief, I was responsible for collecting the personal affects of those who were injured or killed in action. It was a behind-the-scenes horrible job to pick through the human remains left on some of the government issued gear. I saw bodies and Marines, who were severely disfigured and blown to pieces. Upon my return home, these images began to weigh on me heavily, causing terrifying nightmares, severe depression, and uncontrollable anxiety. My wife would wake me up at night due to terror I was experiencing. I was unable to sleep, nor did I want to sleep because of these Post Traumatic Issues. I begun to use alcohol extensively to rid my mind or to at least "soften the blow". This went on until I had checked myself in for the aforementioned hypertension and cardiac problems. Yet still I managed to hang on in the way of life that I had known. The military was my proudest and most fulfilling thing I ever did. About a month after this, I transferred to Marine Corps Combat Development Command, 29 Palms, California. I was still drinking heavy, but had managed to hold myself together to at least "appear normal". About 9 months at my new assignment, I developed acute Pancreatitus, and 90% of the organ had necrosis. They also explained that I had an abnormality called a Pseudo-cyst on the pancreas, and that surgery was the best option. They removed around 90% of my Pancreas. After my surgery, everything began to fall apart. I had been dealing with excruciating back and neck pains, among dozens of other ailments. My Internal Medicine Doctor explained the importance of the pancreas in processing insulin. Although my family begged me to retire, I was able to talk the Assignments Monitor into giving me an opportunity to become the 2nd Marine Division Supply Chief. My body and mind was still in bad shape, but my will to succeed would not let me quit. But God will would be otherwise. Unfortunately, I felt extremely fatigued one day, and practically was just not feeling well. I had to urinate every 45 minutes So I checked into the Emergency Department. The diagnosis was type 2 Diabetes and told that I could never deploy again. All the while I was still dealing with the affects of PTSD, chronic pain, hypertension, Severe Depression, Anxiety attacks, Degenerative Disc Disease, Serious Skin problems, and later diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea, requiring a CPAP Machine, and still a host of other problems. I was and still am taking over 40 pills a day, extensive narcotics and pain patches, and still suffering Pancreatic Insufficiency, most likely the cause of the Uncontrolled Diabetes. I have been hospitalized over 6 different times since late 2010. I have had numerous bouts with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and hyperglycemia (high blood sugars). I see around 10 different Doctors, who all prescribe me different medications all the time. It became impossible to continue as the 2nd Marine Division Supply Chief. I could not concentrate adequately, reports that use to take 15 minutes had now started taking hours if I could finish them at all. I could not stay awake, alert, or aware of my surroundings or any valuable information. My prostate began giving me problems, causing post-void dribbling, an embarrassment that zapped any self-pride I had left. Then, I zoned out mid-sentence of a briefing in a conference meeting. I knew it was over. One of the Doctors, Internal Medicine, wrote that I should be processed for MedBoard. Reluctantly, I obliged.
Ms Wessels, after an extensive VA physical, which supported most of the diagnosis that was in my file, after the local Medical Board unanimously found me unfit to do my job, my finding came back FIT FOR DUTY. My wife had to quit her job to help care for me, so our saving were beginning to dwindle. I was counseled by a military attorney to request a Formal PEB, and reported there 19 December 2012. They found me Presumed FIT FOR DUTY. My Medical record consists of two typing paper boxes of paperwork. Their reply: the preponderous of evidence does not support enough to overturn the FIT FOR DUTY finding.
This is just a small sample of the information concerning my case, which is in the final Appeal process, a Petition for Relief. Not only is this the way I have been treated, but also during my formal board hearing, my counsel was not allowed to answer a date question because one of the board member said emphatically "I want to hear it from him". That was perplexing.

Feel free to let me know what you feel. My wife will interpret for me, since she had to type this me.