Does spinal fusion automatically disqaulify me from retention in the navy

Nyjohnny

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been on limdu for 10 months due to l5 s1 back fusion. I have been told by my doctor I will be fit for full duty. I am concerned that even though i will be found fit i will still fail a sea duty screeing. Does anybody have and idea or benn througj something like this before?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You should be able to find a copy of the Navy's unfitting conditions in the resources section of this website.

Nyjohnny

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I looked and found unwitting conditions for enlistment but retention standards are different.

MattCollins7

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I actually have the exact same question. I had an SI joint fusion this past winter and am facing a possible L5-S1 fusion in the coming months. I can tell you from my experience with my first fusion, I don't think being retained on AD would be beneficial to proper long term healing, especially with certain rates in aviation and looming deployments. After all, the constant climbing on aircrafts, and flight line hours are what put me in this position to begin with. My case was just submitted to PEB this past Friday, it will be interesting to get the boards take/answer on my fit/unfit finding. Best of luck to you!

Nyjohnny

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Well my PCM just found me fit for duty. I don’t see how but now I have orders and must pass a sea dutybscreening which I think is going to be very difficult

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">