Does TDRL re-evaluation downgraded rating affect VA 100 % rating?

NWRanger909

Registered Member
This is my first post here and I’m looking for some clarification on a few questions I have about my TDRL status and the reevaluation at around the 18 month mark. I was in the Navy for 15 years and sent to PEB for severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and was found unfit for service (could no lower fly because mobility issues). They gave me a 90% disability rating from the Navy and the VA gave me 100% based on all the other conditions I have. So if and when I go up for my TDRL reevaluation and they come back with a lower rating will it affect my VA rating? When I went on to TDRL I of course picked the tax free 100% rating from the VA, so I receive no retirement from the Navy. I worry about how the possible downgrade in my Navy rating would affect my VA disability compensation, the disease is somewhat controllable with medications, but my civilian doctor believes I may actually have Fibromyalgia. This is alarming to me because I have been treated by two Navy docs for RA (tons of severe immunosuppressing drugs :-/), and this new diagnoses seems to possibly threaten my VA rating. Should this be cause for alarm? Do VA reevaluations even look at civilian doctor records, or do they go off of the evaluating doctor physical exam and interview? I do not want to claim something I don’t have, but I find it hard to believe that two Rheumatologists are wrong and this one is correct, especially when I see and experience severe physical symptoms. I know the VA can reevaluate you anytime they want, I just want to know how these two ratings relate, when you are in a TDRL status and you go up for your reevaluation. Does a TDRL reevaluation signal the VA to perform their own reevaluation? I’ve read that a lot of times PEBs come back with a lower rating usually below or at 75% and a recommendation for transfer to PDRL. If this kind of deal is offered should I take it and would it adversely affect the VA rating? Any help, advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Generally, your DoD rating percentage change has no effect on your VA rating.

There are different aspects to each individual case but the Navy could drop you to 0% if they want and the VA would not change.

At this point, only the VA can request a reevaluation of your VA rating and possible change if you are not already rated P&T.

The VA assigned the rating for the DoD in the first place so I don’t see it being affected it DoD wants to lower you.

No.

Some VA ratings are permanent and others are temporary. Temporary VA rating are subject to reevaluation BY THE VA. But a DoD TDRL reevaluation does not count for the VA.

No.

Some VA ratings are permanent and others are temporary. Temporary VA rating are subject to reevaluation BY THE VA. But a DoD TDRL reevaluation does not count for the VA.
How does one know/find out which of their VA claims is a temporary claim vs one that is permanent?

Actually a claim with multiple contentions can return a mixture of permanent and temporary ratings. I was surprised by this a few years back.

Also beware that the propose VA benefits letter did not in my case distinguish between permanent or temporary benefits. If fact the words permanent and temporary are absent totally from the document. I found out when I tried to schedule a dental appointment that one or more of my benefits was temporary. I appealed and won.

This is my first post here and I’m looking for some clarification on a few questions I have about my TDRL status and the reevaluation at around the 18 month mark. I was in the Navy for 15 years and sent to PEB for severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and was found unfit for service (could no lower fly because mobility issues). They gave me a 90% disability rating from the Navy and the VA gave me 100% based on all the other conditions I have. So if and when I go up for my TDRL reevaluation and they come back with a lower rating will it affect my VA rating? When I went on to TDRL I of course picked the tax free 100% rating from the VA, so I receive no retirement from the Navy. I worry about how the possible downgrade in my Navy rating would affect my VA disability compensation, the disease is somewhat controllable with medications, but my civilian doctor believes I may actually have Fibromyalgia. This is alarming to me because I have been treated by two Navy docs for RA (tons of severe immunosuppressing drugs :-/), and this new diagnoses seems to possibly threaten my VA rating. Should this be cause for alarm? Do VA reevaluations even look at civilian doctor records, or do they go off of the evaluating doctor physical exam and interview? I do not want to claim something I don’t have, but I find it hard to believe that two Rheumatologists are wrong and this one is correct, especially when I see and experience severe physical symptoms. I know the VA can reevaluate you anytime they want, I just want to know how these two ratings relate, when you are in a TDRL status and you go up for your reevaluation. Does a TDRL reevaluation signal the VA to perform their own reevaluation? I’ve read that a lot of times PEBs come back with a lower rating usually below or at 75% and a recommendation for transfer to PDRL. If this kind of deal is offered should I take it and would it adversely affect the VA rating? Any help, advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Are you still on this fourm?????