Does the VA know that i will be put on PDRL?

Basednino

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Do i have to contact the VA after being placed on PDRL? Not sure if the army will bump my rating, but if they do. Does the VA get notified of this? I know during my first eval I was retained on TDRL and the army raised my rating. Later i got a letter saying the VA raised my rating from 50 to 70 without me applying for a raiting increase or informing the VA anything. Will the same thing happened with this new re-eval being a TDRL to PDRL?

Do i have to contact the VA after being placed on PDRL? Not sure if the army will bump my rating, but if they do. Does the VA get notified of this? I know during my first eval I was retained on TDRL and the army raised my rating. Later i got a letter saying the VA raised my rating from 50 to 70 without me applying for a raiting increase or informing the VA anything. Will the same thing happened with this new re-eval being a TDRL to PDRL?

From an U.S. Army perspective via my own TDRL to PDRL experiences, it's not a requirement to inform the DoVA of a final placement onto the DoD military PDRL. In a round about way, the DoVA may be notified of a PDRL placement as pending upon your individual military financial situation as a military medical retiree. Meaning, if you are also eligible for DFAS CRDP then DFAS and DoVA shall work together in the computation of any authorized military disabled retired pay and VA disability compensation pay to be received simultaneously as applicable by federal law.

Hmm, who actually performed your first TDRL medical re-examination for use during the first TDRL re-evaluation process? Was it performed by the DoVA VBA solely and the USAPDA TDRL Branch accepted its results and forwarded it to the DoD LDES PEB for adjudication? Was it performed by an Army MTF provider? Or, was it performed by a civilian medical provider contracted by the U.S. Army? Depending upon how your DoD TDRL PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition was originally evaluated by the DoVA D-RAS when in the DoD IDES process, there are DoVA re-examination processing requirements needed to be completed within a time-specific duration as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD.

As such, being retained on the DoD TDRL doesn't result in any increase in your original DoD disability rating which was issued upon placement onto the TDRL. The original DoD disability rating upon placement onto the TDRL shall remain the same until a final disposition is determined at the end of the TDRL tenure or earlier if applicable. That said, I am a little confused with your statement about "I was retained on TDRL and the army raised my rating." Please elaborate some more so that I can try to continue to provide additional sound insightful feedback; thanks.

Moreover, the DoVA Rating Agency needs updated medical evidence and/or medical documentation (e.g., usually via a DoVA DBQ) in order to recommend/approve an increase or decrease in a DoVA disability rating. Naturally, the DoD TDRL re-evaluation is a military specific disability process to determine if the PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s) which were previously determined to be "permanent and unstable" when placed on TDRL are eventually to be considered "permanent and stable" for DoD rating purposes only.

To any extent, the bottom line is that you are dealing with two different organizations (e.g., DoD & DoVA) that implement entirely separate disability evaluation processes for medical conditions. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

From an U.S. Army perspective via my own TDRL to PDRL experiences, it's not a requirement to inform the DoVA of a final placement onto the DoD military PDRL. In a round about way, the DoVA may be notified of a PDRL placement as pending upon your individual military financial situation as a military medical retiree. Meaning, if you are also eligible for DFAS CRDP then DFAS and DoVA shall work together in the computation of any authorized military disabled retired pay and VA disability compensation pay to be received simultaneously as applicable by federal law.
Hi Warrior644. I am PDRL as of Dec 2018 and had a call from the VA for an CP exam for multi chronic illness. I went in to the VA appointment today and the nurse read off a list of things they where going to look at. I thought that the VA couldn't come back and relook at anything when you are on the PDRL. Do you know where I can search to see what the policy is on relooking at a condition that has already been assigned a % for medical retirement?
I'm medical retired at 50% DoD and just got my final ratings earlier this month with first retirement pay. I nicely told the nurse that we need to reschedule as she was arguing with me that I had to do the CP exams and even when I told her I have my doctor documents from 2015 to 2019 showing conditions being treated she said that the VA doesn't take any outside documents that she has to do new exams. She made it confusing especially when I told her that my shingles had progressed into what is called herpes simplex. Tested by a dermatologist by a biopsy. She told me that that doctor's tests don't matter only the VA. Huh. SMH. So I'm researching things today on if the VA is allowed to come back and relook at conditions once on the PDRL. Thanks for all your time.

The VA will do its on exam for compensation, unless you submit a fully developed claim. There is nothing automatic inside the VA when the DoD increase compensation.

The VA will do its on exam for compensation, unless you submit a fully developed claim. There is nothing automatic inside the VA when the DoD increase compensation.

Thanks for the reply Sir. So if I've already had the VA CP's that say looked at my lower back injury and Diabetes, and rated both. Then today tell me they are looking at them again is there an issue with that? The relooking at them that is? I am DoD retired due to those two conditions. My worry is the VA trying to change the ratings of them when nothing has changed to make them better.

VA ratings can be either permanent, temporary or a mix of the two. Any rating that is temporary is subject to being re-rated. Conditions can get better or worse with time, with or without treatment.

VA ratings can be either permanent, temporary or a mix of the two. Any rating that is temporary is subject to being re-rated. Conditions can get better or worse with time, with or without treatment.
What about the conditions that are permanent. Can those we reviewed again by the VA by law? I'm not sure if the VA can review any permanent. I know the temp they can due to not being stabled.

oh yes there is Charlie.. this is very false.
My VA rating was just bumped today after last week's PDRL DOD increase

Hi Warrior644. I am PDRL as of Dec 2018 and had a call from the VA for an CP exam for multi chronic illness. I went in to the VA appointment today and the nurse read off a list of things they where going to look at. I thought that the VA couldn't come back and relook at anything when you are on the PDRL. Do you know where I can search to see what the policy is on relooking at a condition that has already been assigned a % for medical retirement?
I'm medical retired at 50% DoD and just got my final ratings earlier this month with first retirement pay. I nicely told the nurse that we need to reschedule as she was arguing with me that I had to do the CP exams and even when I told her I have my doctor documents from 2015 to 2019 showing conditions being treated she said that the VA doesn't take any outside documents that she has to do new exams. She made it confusing especially when I told her that my shingles had progressed into what is called herpes simplex. Tested by a dermatologist by a biopsy. She told me that that doctor's tests don't matter only the VA. Huh. SMH. So I'm researching things today on if the VA is allowed to come back and relook at conditions once on the PDRL. Thanks for all your time.
Hello @brianmatt31:

Indeed albeit I prefer not to provide any additional comments in this thread. So, please generate your own new thread and/or PM me for any potential feedback. Thanks and take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Hello @brianmatt31:

Indeed albeit I prefer not to provide any additional comments in this thread. So, please generate your own new thread and/or PM me for any potential feedback. Thanks and take care!

Best Wishes!
Why do you always say that
"Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"
So repetitive