Does VA use NARSUM/MEB report?

ArmyDDS

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Does the VA see the MEB package/NARSUM when conducting their ratings?

Ie. Does the VA usually agree with MEB service aggravated determination if indicated on NARSUM?

Have you been in the military for 8 active duty years or more? If so it will be service connected.
No, just 3. The NARSUM has 3/4 conditions that don’t meet standards EPTS, but permanently aggravated.

Just wondering if VA can disagree with the MEB/PEB.

No, just 3. The NARSUM has 3/4 conditions that don’t meet standards EPTS, but permanently aggravated.

Just wondering if VA can disagree with the MEB/PEB.
If permanently aggravated then it will be service connected. The VA most likely will come to the same conclusion. I wouldn't be worried though since the VA is only used for giving rating percentages for IDES. You will know before you get out because you will have a VA proposed rating and so if they rate your for the condition they will also state if service connected or not. You will find that out sometime between the NARSUM stage and the IPEB stage.

If permanently aggravated then it will be service connected. The VA most likely will come to the same conclusion. I wouldn't be worried though since the VA is only used for giving rating percentages for IDES. You will know before you get out because you will have a VA proposed rating and so if they rate your for the condition they will also state if service connected or not. You will find that out sometime between the NARSUM stage and the IPEB stage.
Ok thank you for clarifying. Just didn’t know if MEB/PEB said aggravated and VA said not service connected, what the protocol would be. Since my Spine/Back DBQ wasn’t based on service aggravation, just the normal DBQ.

I found this on VA website so it seems like they might have access to NARSUM.

Attachments

• A53754DC-182C-4887-BFCB-D2132734FF0D.png
    A53754DC-182C-4887-BFCB-D2132734FF0D.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 32
Ok thank you for clarifying. Just didn’t know if MEB/PEB said aggravated and VA said not service connected, what the protocol would be. Since my Spine/Back DBQ wasn’t based on service aggravation, just the normal DBQ.

I found this on VA website so it seems like they might have access to NARSUM.
You really won't know anything until the IPEB. That is who will determine if unfitting and service connected which will contribute towards your DOD%. I would just pay close attention to everything in the process and if something is wrong be sure to appeal it. I always say its best to hire a dedicated private attorney to ensure the best results.

Roger. I was found unfit March 8, so now just waiting VA ratings and DA 199.

You really won't know anything until the IPEB. That is who will determine if unfitting and service connected which will contribute towards your DOD%. I would just pay close attention to everything in the process and if something is wrong be sure to appeal it. I always say its best to hire a dedicated private attorney to ensure the best results.
I did find this regarding use of NARSUM. Appears they do use it to a certain extent in regards to their decision.

Attachments

• 2CA924B4-1586-4B2F-A355-B7D1DC3A33D0.png
    2CA924B4-1586-4B2F-A355-B7D1DC3A33D0.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 27