Donations and future plans for the site

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
After a long and frustrating standstill with the development of the vBulletin software that powers this site, I have decided to look at migrating us to Xenforo software. While the software works relatively well for just the forums, I have way too many problems with bugs, spam, and people having issues with registering and posting. I think that Xenforo is a better platform for our future growth.

With the help of your donations, I have already purchased a license for the new software. The cost of that was $140. In order to make this move, though, I have decided to seek the help of a designer/consultant who will make the transition happen smoothly and will help keep much of the look and feel of the current layout.

He has quoted me $400 to make this move, which is very reasonable given that he is going to do a custom template for us (another reason I feel this is reasonable is that he has helped me before and is the designer of the current layout; he works fast and I trust him which are all important factors).

I am committed to keeping this site free and will make this change happen even if I have to pay for it myself. I just thought I would ask folks who are in a position to help to please consider donating. We have more than 800 active members here (users who check in at least once a month). If everyone chips in .50 cents...well, you get the idea.

I hope that this will bring about a good change for our community...hang on!!

Thanks to your generous donations, since last night we have $55 gathered toward making the changes! Thank you for the support of the site and your fellow community members!

I would love to donate but... I don't know how to?? please direct. : )

Thank you! If you go to either the Home page or the Forums page, on the right hand side there is a "Donate" button. That will direct you automatically to a PayPal link for this site....

If you can't find it, please let me know. Thanks again!

I am pleased to report that within a day of my posting, we are at 27% of our goal. Thank you to all those who have contributed! These donations make me confident that we can meet the goal and upgrade in a matter of days or weeks rather than months!

Again, a hearty thanks to all those who have contributed. Together we can continue to make this site the best resource for members undergoing the DES process!

Making great progress! As of today, we are at 43% of the goal. Thanks for the support!

We continue to make some progress towards the goal of getting the new software implemented. We are now at 44% of the goal!

The donations have come in three types of groups. In number, they are about equal. Members have donated between $2 and $10 dollars, $20-$25 dollars, and $50 dollars. I re-emphasize the point in the first post that if many people contribute, only $.50 is needed per donation to reach the goal. I will make this happen one way or another, but the generous giving of members is definitely appreciated!

Headed to donate! Hope our little bit helps, we so appreciate this site :) Thank you for all you do!

Thank you! I just updated the donation progress bar...exactly the effort needed to push us forward.

In the past, I have offered to make a "supporting member" or "Donated" badge for folks....no one ever seemed to be too interested in this, but if "the people" would like public acknowledgement, please let me know and I will do this.

Also, I don't want anyone who does not donate to feel bad or think their participation or following of the site is not appreciated. I sure understand that everything else that people are going through aside, this economy is really tough.

Thanks to all those who have donated! This morning we received another donation that has pushed us to 73% of the goal...I am going to tell the designer/consultant to start working on the move (I will either pay for the shortfall, or use later donations as they come in).

This will allow a lot of important changes, among them:

Better ways to follow updates
Ways to integrate other features (like calculators)
Better ways to post photos
Improved member profiles
Faster and easier to use software

Thanks again for your help in making this happen. I am excited about the future of the site. (BTW, I don't have a timeline set for delivery of the change, but this programmer works fast- I would expect a week or two at most).

I am pleased to report that due to further donations over the past two days, we are only $66 away from meeting the goal for implementing the new software and changes to the site. Thank you for the support!

Almost there, folks! I intend on pushing on with the changes and pay any shortfall out of my own pocket. However, as always, any donations are appreciated.

This is an absolutely wonderful website! Thank you so much Jason (and the other administrators) for all you do for all of us unselfishly! Highly encourage more to give a little bit! Good luck and hope you reach your goal Jason!

This is an absolutely wonderful website! Thank you so much Jason (and the other administrators) for all you do for all of us unselfishly! Highly encourage more to give a little bit! Good luck and hope you reach your goal Jason!

Thank you! As a result of your contribution and one other member, in the last half hour we have pushed to 88% of the goal complete. I appreciate the support from everyone and look forward to continuing the work here in the future (albeit on a new platform/software).

Great progress, folks! I just received another donation pushing us to 98% of the goal. Thank you for the continued support!

And we have met the goal, raising $400 for the site upgrades. Thanks to each and everyone of you for your support! I will contact the software consultant and start the process to move us to the new software. Standby for updates!

I know this is an old thread but I was just curious as to what the current donation drive on this site is for.

The drives are pretty much ongoing- I had in the past set a monthly goal of $100 (but, though not a major time issue, I had to manually every month "reset" the drive), so last month, I decided to set it at $500 and see how that worked. What I have found over time (and this is just an estimate), is that donations probably average about $50-60/month (though, some months the site has received $30 and others $250...it seems to be really variable). I was curious if setting a higher "drive amount" and letting it go on for more than a month would result in higher donations...so far, it has not shown that this is the case.

The bare bones cost for me in maintaining the site is probably roughly about $700 per year. This includes hosting costs, software licensing costs, and additional software or graphic/template payments to coders or others for their services. It obviously does not account for my time in administration of the site or in answering posts.

What I have planned for the future most immediate donations is to try to integrate a better "articles" system where the front/landing page does better of displaying articles of interest (articles being different from individual posts), and to support or modify the recently installed "Resources" section (which was an additional cost of $20 above the recent $140 license extention), to make that feature better. (Though, it is absolutely true that some additions/improvements to the site rely on my "donation" of time above what I do in answering posts...In a perfect world, I would be able to devote more time to the forum). The big expenditure that I would like to consider is moving to a different type of server (which would likely increase the shared hosting costs substantially). If I am able to do that, I can probably implement several changes that would speed the site up and, more importantly, allow me to implement a better Search function (I am by no means an expert in these things....I have learned a lot about the subject of this type of software over the years, but I do rely on input from other folks on the software...if anyone is interested, the vendor of this software is xenforo.com. You can read a lot about the software on their site). But, these other improvements would require investment of money, too (both in cost of the underlying software and in getting expert help in implementing).

I know that I have run this site as a net loss for me for many years. I have toyed with implementing, at times, some paid features, or using a subscription model (for at least some features). To be honest, the direct costs are tiny compared to my time invested in helping members (and, actually, it is probably a fact that I drive down my potential client base by helping people with information that should be free to everyone- a lot of attorneys rely on the fact that people know next to nothing about the law and, in the absence of knowledge would hire them more often. I think this holds true for me and my competitors as far as legal services- my thought is that there are many folks who don't need legal help, they just need to understand the process. That is something they should have access to for free- preferably from the military, but, in the absence of that help from the military, I will provide information needed. Others will benefit from legal help. Either way, both groups of folks should have access to information. I consider it "gravy" or value added that this forum provides a community where people can discuss their issues or just "vent."). It is really that fact that has kept me away from charging people for access to the site...I could probably write a few pages back and forth on the economics of this whole site and the MEB/PEB/IDES system generally. (But, to save my own time, I won't, at least not now).

To give the short answer, this is what I would immediately spend donation on:

1) Site enhancements (layout/design)
2) Improved/upgraded hosting plan
3) As a result of 2), above, improved search functions

I have not foreclosed ever charging for access to parts of the site or implementing advertising. I just have not, so far, felt that the time involved with that is worth it vice the potential limitation of posts (where I really feel conflicted is in providing information based on work I have done as an attorney; I think I should be compensated for that information vice providing access to information that is, or should be, free to everyone...For example, people post all the time about "Commander's letters." I have demurred from ever posting examples, but have posted at length- many times- on what should be contained in a helpful commander's letter. I have considered posting examples, with annotations and suggestions, for a fee...still not sure how I feel about this or what I might do in this regard....or, another example, I have considered offering a consolidated VASRD listing, and then a subscription based annotated- where I give my comments on each code/condition- versions. Finally, I have considered offering a "subscription based" private forum, where only I can see the posts, or members who have posted x number of times can see the posts (but, would be invisible to "guests" or to google).

Bottom line, I may reconsider some of the options and either fees or advertising for the forum or parts of the forum. Not saying that any of this is imminent- I have been thinking about these issues for a few years and may or may not ever change the way I run things.

Comments are welcome.

If you couldn't tell from the previous post, I am conflicted about donations, subscriptions, revenue generating options for the site as a whole.

A little background- when I was the Senior Soldiers' Counsel at the TX PEB, I brought it to the attention of my superiors that Soldiers were woefully misinformed about the process prior to reporting to the PEB and that the Army should do something about that and provide more information. My bosses basically blew me off and told me to stay in my place. Well, I had already submitted my resignation at that point and figured I would set up this site to provide needed information for Soldiers (and later, all branches of service members) to at least understand the system before they made decisions about their cases. So, I decided to do what the Army would not- provide that information and a place to discuss their issues and questions.

Like I said, as a civilian attorney, I probably drive down my potential "customer" base by informing folks of the laws and regulations that pertain to their case. ((Why would I do that, some might ask- three reasons, really; First, I think that there are plenty of cases still out there that need legal help. Second, though disheartening, I think that there will never be a dearth of cases where legal help is needed to get the right outcome. Finally, when I was an Army Officer, I felt it was my obligation to help those Soldiers (and later, all branches service members) who needed it- It is basically a moral and ethical obligation to help those who need it; I would help the lowest private in my unit or my highest superior, if I could when I was a commissioned officer- I don't feel much different now)). I know that I could earn more money if I pushed my services or advertised on this site. But, I have been pretty much determined to keep the site non-commercial, at least as it references outside services (though, I also know that I do have many clients that come to me as result of this site).

Well, like I wrote before, this issue is something that I consider often. So far, over the last several years, I have not seen a need to change how I run things. I may or may not change that in the future.

First of all, thank you very much for creating this site. In the short time that I have been a member, I have received information that has proven invaluable. I was on my way out of the Army on a separation (non-medical) and found some information-and motivation-on this site that prompted me to ask some questions to the right people. Now, my situation is being reviewed by a lot of important people from the local TMC as well as unit leadership.

Having said that, I am actually surprised that the financial goals are not being met. I mean, take a service such as myself that was about to get kicked out. As a direct result of your information provided here, the chain of events starts and they are medically retired thus retaining medical benefits as well as a higher percentage of VA disability compensation. I figure a contribution to the site would be the very least that a person could do in order to pay back what was given to them freely.

I understand this a a free site but perhaps a resurrection of this thread could perhaps reignite some interest-and perhaps some revenue.

As for me, as soon as I can remember my PayPal password that I haven't used in over 5 years, I'll see what I can give.

By the way, where do you practice law out of?