Dont know what to do.

Superchochee

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been an AGR for 2 years in the guard and was active for 8 years before that. I deployed to OEF 09-10 and started having problems sleeping and with anger and other things since then. I was self medicating with alchohol for the last 5 or six years. in October i was diagnosed with PTSD and depression. Since then I have been put on Trazodone and Zoloft and am going to weekly therapy at the VA. Also i have been diagnosed with something called eosinophilic esophagitis and have put me on gluten, dairy and egg restriction. I quit drinking but now am at the point where i get anxiety just going to work. My work performance has greatly suffored. Its to the point where they want to fire me from my AGR position. They do not want to start a med board until they can see id they can fix me first. I am kind of at a loss on how to approach this. any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

wavy4jc

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey Chochee, its good that you are reaching out, thats a real positive. Working full time in the stressful job you have and going to therapy must be tough, so I give you a courageous effort in wanting to push through your issues. Do you feel like you are making progress? In all fairness, you have only been going to therapy for about 3 months, so give it time. Your leadership must support you in this. I dont know where you are located, but if you feel your leadership is not supporting you, you could either go to your VA and request a counselor or go to your nearest Chaplin Support. The Chaplin would be able to guide you to the support services that would best help you. BTW, I went to my VA therapy for nearly 15 months before I felt comfortable to not need it anymore. I do wish you success in get through your issues!!

Superchochee

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Wavy, thanks for they reply and encouragement. I do not feel like i am making any progress yet other than the Trazodone is helping me sleep at night. I know its going to take a while before i do feel/ see a marked improvement. Im just worried that the Guard is going to put me out of a job before i can function better or get a med board. Thanks again for the reply.

wavy4jc

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Choch, you do have options. Try not to be concerned about that what they may or may not do. You wont be able to do this alone, so please, reach out to people who can help! The Guard cant just put you out. Get a VA counselor or Chaplin to intervene in your situation. They CAN help you more than you may think....I know, because that is what I did. While I was on Active Duty, I had a PTSD-induced nervous breakdown. My mental and emotion state got worse because I kept it to myself. It caused a big degradation in my job performance over time. My leadership was not very supportive. It took awhile, but I did reach out. I went to the Chaplin, and to make a long story short, was the best thing I could do. After talking with the Chaplin, they got the ball rolling....I was subsequently sent to a WTU, MED Boarded and now happily retired. This would not have happen in all likelihood if I didnt reach out. Its hard to do initially, but doing could actually surprise you. The VA therapy and counseling went a long way in my healing process. And, if you are not comfortable going to a Chaplin, your local American Legion chapter can help. I contacted them also in my situation and they really helped alot. If I could leave you with two pieces of advice from someone who has been there --- reach out to others who can help you and DONT GIVE UP on yourself!!

Superchochee

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So talked to the chaplain and he pretty much said to stay the course... I keep being told by my boss I'm on the verge of being fired and taken off of full time orders because my performance sucks. I think the only reason they are acting that way is because they don't want to keep me on orders for a MEB. so they are trying to can me from full time before I can even get a MEB started. Gotta love the Army.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">