Don't want to get out, but want to know what to expect..previous bone cancer, partial pelvis removal

AirmanKelly

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all. I was hoping that I could get some guidance on what to expect. I am a member of the Air National Guard with almost 14 years in, all Guard, no active except a short temp AGR tour. I am currently a Federal Air Guard Technician which means my job is dependant on being a member of the Air Guard. Back in November, during a routine xray, a tumor was found on my pelvis. Due to the type of cancer (chondrosarcoma), the only treatment was removal of the ischium of my right pelvis. Since that is where our hamstrings are connected, they had to be reattached elsewhere. Currently I am still trying to get back to normal, but five months out, I am still having trouble just walking at any type of speed, let alone run.

I am currently on a profile until July 2015 and have sent all of my medical paperwork to our Med Group. Last month I got a letter in the mail from my med group asking my physician to write a letter explaining my diagnosis, prognosis, and any limitations. His letter was pretty vague which makes me think that Med Group will ask for my clarification, but he did state that I have a "good to fair for high-level function (she will likely be limited by loss of fully functional hamstrings". I am currently cancer free but will need scans probably for life to make sure I am cancer free. My prognosis is excellent.

Here's my question. I don't want to get out of the Air Guard. I like it here and I want to keep my job, but should I prepare myself for possibility of being found unfit?

Possible. Is the condition service connected? Has the VA rated the condition? Be aware of 10 USC 12733b that would allow you to retire if unfit for a non service connected condition if you have at least 15 years of service. Such a retirement does not kick in to age 60.

Fitness is a very fickle thing and hard to predict.

Mike

The condition isn't service related to my knowledge and I don't qualify for VA care because I don't have any active time or 20 years. My concern right now is the fact that regardless of how hard I try, my leg issue from the surgery doesn't seem to be resolving itself. I lose my membership in the Air Guard, I lose my full time job.

In the resource section of this website is documented called "MSD." MSD is an abbreviation for Medical Standards Directory. Look under section K. It will give you an idea if your condition is likely to result in a MEB/PEB. I was first MEB'd in 2008. Despite what the MSD said, my commander's letter carried the day and I was retained.

Again, fitness can be a very fickle issue. I was deemed fit and rated 100% P&T soon thereafter by the VA. I have seen countless service members found unfit for a condition that rated 0% per the VASRD.

Mike

Went to my medgroup today and was asked to have my commader do a memo for the PEB/MEB. Looking at the resources here, it looks like my condition may be an automatic review of the board. I was also told to start the waiver process, but I am confused because I am sure I was told that the waiver process doesn't start until my profile is over.

AirmanKelly

Find out who the PEBLO is at the MDG and go talk to him/her. The MDG should be asking for your CC's letter and providing your CC with a template. What type of waiver are your referencing?

Hello all. I was hoping that I could get some guidance on what to expect. I am a member of the Air National Guard with almost 14 years in, all Guard, no active except a short temp AGR tour. I am currently a Federal Air Guard Technician which means my job is dependant on being a member of the Air Guard. Back in November, during a routine xray, a tumor was found on my pelvis. Due to the type of cancer (chondrosarcoma), the only treatment was removal of the ischium of my right pelvis. Since that is where our hamstrings are connected, they had to be reattached elsewhere. Currently I am still trying to get back to normal, but five months out, I am still having trouble just walking at any type of speed, let alone run.

I am currently on a profile until July 2015 and have sent all of my medical paperwork to our Med Group. Last month I got a letter in the mail from my med group asking my physician to write a letter explaining my diagnosis, prognosis, and any limitations. His letter was pretty vague which makes me think that Med Group will ask for my clarification, but he did state that I have a "good to fair for high-level function (she will likely be limited by loss of fully functional hamstrings". I am currently cancer free but will need scans probably for life to make sure I am cancer free. My prognosis is excellent.

Here's my question. I don't want to get out of the Air Guard. I like it here and I want to keep my job, but should I prepare myself for possibility of being found unfit?

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, I am saddened to hear about your current medical condition potentially affecting your ability to remain in the Air National Guard! :(

To that extent, I am not able to offer a "fitness" of duty determination at this point. Nonetheless, please take care, get well, and hope with prayers that you definitely receive a favorable outcome supportive of your desired expectations.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Charlie - Hell if I know what I am requesting. I am clueless about all of this. As far as I was concerned as long as I am on a profile and have the potential to get back to full range of motion, then a waiver isn't needed. My profile doesn't even end until July 2015, which gives me plenty of time to get back to normal. If I can't get back within the year, then I imagine I have to worry about any fitness waivers (like doing the 2 KM walk instead of the run) then.

Here's my question. I don't want to get out of the Air Guard. I like it here and I want to keep my job, but should I prepare myself for possibility of being found unfit? ..... Hell if I know what I am requesting....

Airman Kelly,

Short answer, you need to know there is a possibility you could be found unfit.

Long answer, you don't have to resign yourself to being found unfit - forced out. Work with your squadron CC/shirt. Tell them and show them (words and actions) that you want to stay and are committed to the mission.

The CC's letter carries weight. From the AF's perspective, your CC knows best if you are fit to perform your duties. What task associated with your AFSC, rank...., are you unable to complete at home station? deployed? Do you expect these to get worse, better, or remain constant?

Thank you for your service to the AF and warmest wishes as you continue to recover.

Ok, so the saga continues. I had my three month scans and I am still cancer free and my leg is getting stronger. I am, however, still having issues with it when it comes to fitness related activities, like walking fast, jogging, or any strenuous lower body lifting. As far as my job duties are concerned, I have absolutely not problems with that. My Commander is working on his letter and says he will vouche for me as far as that is concerned.

I was given paperwork today to fill out for DES and have to talk to the person who takes care of those next week. Currently I am on a profile until July and am listed as Not Worldwide Deployable. Limited Area Only. The P and L's on my PULHES factor are rated as 4 and right now I am on a abdominal circumference only fitness profile.

I have one more question....my surgery is called an internal hemipelvectomy, which pretty much means that I had part of my pelvis amputated. Will this alone cause me to always be a 4 for lower extremities?

Anyone know the answer to my question about whether I could be always coded a 4 for lower extremities. I have read the regs and the resources, but they are kind of vague.

Well, here I am two plus years later. Haven't seen a reoccurance of the cancer and by all accounts, healed up pretty quickly. Did a full Fitness Test in August and got an Excellent.

Here's my new issue....and it comes from one of my last questions on this thread.....

I was recently informed that my new waiver was accepted and I will be retained with an ALC C3. Great news, I'm not getting thrown out, but I was also in the process of trying to do a career change to a new AFSC. Well, when I did, my old paperwork showing my PUHLES of 4 on my P and L from 2014 has kept me from doing so. Medgroup says that they will update these according to Guard Bureau direction, meaning they have to wait for Guard Bureau to do their part until they can do theirs. I am getting a bit impatient as I have been waiting since November to find out if my PUHLES scores will change so I will just throw out the question here since I can't seem to get a straight answer from Medgroup.....

I am missing my right ischium (sits bones) of my pelvis. It was removed by a procedure called a partial internal hemipelvectomy. Any muscles that attached to that bone are now attached to soft tissue. Will this alone, even though I can do a full fitness test and have been cancer free for almost three years, cause my PUHLES scores to always be 4 on the P & L?

Thanks ahead of time for any answers you can give me. I have been so frustrated with the lack of direction I get from Medgroup.