E-6 USN Active with 13 years Type 1 Diabetic starting IDES Help!!!

Crawalk

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Diagnosed September 16 2017.
Desire is to be retained.
Endo Doc has giving a very strong endorsement to be retained.
Non Medical Assessment just as strong if not stronger.
Seen disability attorney and she is very confident with what she has seen.
Next, I'm going to start VA C&P exams and not sure how I should proceed.

Will this VA appointment have anything to do with being retained? Will the PEB see these findings when making their decision on fit or unfit? I'm in a tough situation and looking for solid advice or experiences. Please help and thank you in advance. I will respond to all post!

Hi Crawalk. If you search for my postings, brianmatt31, you'll find a lot of info I've written on my exp in the IDES.

First I'd say to you, think about what you want for yourself and your family. Do you want the board to find you fit for continued service or unfit? If you wanted found unfit you'll need to see what other injuries you have and ensure you have those properly documented and if not documented then you make sure it's written on the VA Claim form that you'll have to fill out to send to your VA MSC. Medical retirement is 30% and above. Seeing you have 13 years you want to make sure if you are wanting found fit that your Endo Doc does a strong write up on why you are good to go, and your Commander (O6) needs to also input great comments on retaining you as they will fill out on the DA 7952 form. If you want found unfit then have your Commander input bad comments like you are always missing work due to your conditions, you are not performing like you use to due to the conditions, etc. The board really listens to the commanders.

For the VA C&P exam this is critical that the VA person that is doing your exam is taking their time reviewing each condition you claimed. It all begins with this person as long as they don't half ass do their job you'll be fine. But ensure they address all your concerns to all conditions. Don't let them rush you through this exam. Also if you have other physical injuries that are being looked at like back pain or shoulder pain due to an injury. When you do the rotation exam STOP bending if you feel any pain. They will push you to bend as far as you can and such three times. This could hurt you if you have a physical problem and your bending through the pain. So Don't.

The VA exam is key as whatever that person fills out on the VA DBQ forms will be sent to the MEB DoD Surgeon that will write up a NARSUM on your exams. Depending on this they will either give you credit saying it did not exist prior to service or it did exist prior to. Which you want that it did NOT exist prior to. Your like all of us. If it did exist prior too you wouldn't have been allowed to join. So that is important to make sure if they select a condition at this point and say it's unfitting you ensure they say it didn't exist prior to service and your service permanently effects this condition. You'll have the chance at the MEB to disagree and do an IMR (impartial medical review) which means they will send out your documents to have another doctor review. Once you get through the MEB and you accept it your PEBLO will push the case forward to the PEB. They review and at some point they send to the VA Ratings if they say your unfit and so forth.

First, thank you for responding to my post! My priority is to take care of my family and finish my career. I have educated myself on percentages per DOD/VA ratings and how that effects me financially if found unfit. As of 09MAR18 my NMA has been completed and submitted to my PEBLO. I submitted service related concerns to the VA intake personnel and next week I should be contacted to schedule C&P exams. My ENDO said he'll write the strongest recommendation to be retained because of my low numbers (A1C) , management, and limited insulin required. I truly appreciate the great info and will put this to use, thank you once again.