emphysema discharge?

wilnel

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have about 26 years of service mostly guard. I have no profiles and I am in relatively good shape for my age (47). 3 deployments to middle east. No va rating. I came off a deployment from Kuwait in may 2017. My wife had always hounded me about getting a sleep study for my snoring, that's the only symptom I had. I finally went hoping to prove her wrong, but I do have mild sleep apena, 10 events per night. I decided i had better start going to va and get checked for ptsd, rating on sleep apnea and be put in the burnpit registry. I could be very close to getting out only receiving a guard retirement check. So I got put in the burn pit registry, the doc checks me out, i didnt expect to find anything I just wanted them to have a baseline. He does a Xray and says I have emphysema! I dont have shortness of breath and I can run in pt test. could they medically discharge me? I understand if I was on oxygen or had an inhaler. of course this new pt test that is floating around there is no way in heck I pass that.

That's the problem with emphysema most people don't know until your lungs collapse below 20% capacity anything above that most patients didn't have warning signs and some were very athletic as well. Make sure you do the respiration tests to rule it out completely. What tests did your civi doc run?

What is your goal?

oddpedestrain. the civilian doctor did a capacity test or what ever it is called, blow into the tube

It is called spirometry. The VA also use spirometry during compensation exams, in addition to looking at meds being taken. Getting it documented is important.

Anytime a provider give a serious diagnosis, a second opinion is a great idea.

Mike