End of TDRL

dhern50

Registered Member
I have my re-examination with the DoD and will most likely be taken of TDRL. My condition with my knees and back have improved since I was discharged thanks to surgery. What should I be expecting once they take me off retirement? Will I go back to the Army if found fit for duty (wouldnt be the worst thing) or will I receive a stipend? How does this effect my VA pay? Thanks

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you VA pay is permanent (vice temporary rating) nothing will change. Some people do return to AD following TDRL. Others are made PDRL with or without a rating change. Since you are better it is likely your rating would change if your are not returned to AD.

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have my re-examination with the DoD and will most likely be taken of TDRL. My condition with my knees and back have improved since I was discharged thanks to surgery. What should I be expecting once they take me off retirement? Will I go back to the Army if found fit for duty (wouldnt be the worst thing) or will I receive a stipend? How does this effect my VA pay? Thanks
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

While on the TDRL, your DoD (Army) disability rating doesn't change regardless of any changes in your PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s). Upon completion of the TDRL medical re-examination(s), it(they) will be sent to the DoD LDES PEB in the USAPDA for a new disability determination. The LDES USA PEB findings will result in one of the following outcomes:
  • You will be found fit for duty (and given the opportunity to return to military service if desired & meet the re-entry qualifications/criteria unless you were pending non-disability separation when placed on the TDRL)
  • You will be separated with severance pay (if your disability rating is decreased to less than 30% and you do not have 20 years of military service)
  • You will be permanently retired (and placed on the PDRL)
  • You will be retained on the TDRL and re-evaluated again within 18 months or prior to reaching the TDRL maximum tenure limitation (3-years or 5-years; whichever is applicable)
Moreover, the potential continuation of any DoVA disability compensation is dependent upon one of the aforementioned outcomes from the TDRL re-evaluation process. If found fit for duty and returned to "active duty" military service then you can't receive DoVA disability compensation and military active duty pay simultaneously. If separated with severance pay or placed on the PDRL or retained on the TDRL then receipt of any DoVA disability compensation shall continue until the specific change of status in a DoD military disability which warrants a mandated regulatory termination/suspension of DoVA disability compensation. Take care and have a great Veterans Day!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Lori

Registered Member
During an Army TDRL review, appoiments, and formal hearing, do we receive orders returning us back to Active Duty? I have been appointed a PEBLO 1.5 hours away from my home whereas there is an Army base ten minutes away from my home.

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
During an Army TDRL review, appoiments, and formal hearing, do we receive orders returning us back to Active Duty? I have been appointed a PEBLO 1.5 hours away from my home whereas there is an Army base ten minutes away from my home.
Welcome (back) to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect while on the DoD military TDRL for over four calendar years, I experienced three Army TDRL re-evaluations to include three Army periodic TDRL medical re-examinations (e.g., 2014, 2016, 2018) and I didn't receive any military orders requiring a return to Active Duty. I had a LDES FPEB hearing during my 1st TDRL re-evaluation which was performed via a telephone conference between the FPEB, my assigned FPEB attorney and myself all in attendance.

To that extent, it's highly unlikely since your assigned PEBLO shall schedule your TDRL medical re-examination(s). Upon receipt of your TDRL DA Form 199 via an email from the assigned PEBLO, you shall have an opportunity to contact the Fort Knox MEB Counsel Office for a full review of the TDRL DA Form 199 with their follow-on recommendations.

As such, the USAPDA has three Army PEBs (e.g., NCR PEB, JBSA PEB, and JBLM PEB) in which all adjudicate cases submitted by Medical Treatment Facilities (MTFs) either supporting soldiers in twelve states and U.S. Army Europe (via NCR PEB), or within the Southern Regional Medical Command (SRMC) via JBSA PEB and JBLM PEB.

It's typical for the USAPDA TDRL Branch to reassign a TDRL case to a different Army PEB due to the current workloads and to try to minimize any extended processing time of the TDRL case. This actually occurred during my 3rd TDRL re-evaluation which was suppose to be assigned to the NCR PEB (again), but was re-routed to the JBSA PEB instead. I was so happy since I continued to receive unfavorable results from the NCR PEB in 2014 and 2016 calendar years. The JBSA PEB adjudicated my TDRL case in 2018 and placed me onto the DoD military PDRL soon afterwards. I hope this helps. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">