Epilepsy

PoptartToday

Registered Member
Nov. 8th my case went to the DAWG.

When should i expect to hear back of the results of the DAWG?

-----TimeLine----

September 31st i was diagnosed with Epilepsy following an EEG.
October 19th I started medication. (as of Nov. 8th there is no change in frequency of seizures)
October 25th met with my provider who is on the DAWG . Told me that I will be found fit, and most likely will not see a full med board.
Nov 8th my case went to the DAWG review.

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. Currently taking anti-seizure meds based on one seizure and an abnormal EEG.

Did your provider give any rationale behind their opinion that you will be found fit? My read of DoDI 6130.03 Vol 2 and the USAF Medical Standards Directory (not sure of your service component) make it seem that retention is unlikely. Check out DoDI 6130.03 Vol 2, paragraph 5.26(k):
Epilepsy. This condition is not compatible with retention and the Service should initiate
appropriate medical and personnel actions upon diagnosis. Paragraph 5.26.a does not apply.

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. Currently taking anti-seizure meds based on one seizure and an abnormal EEG.

Did your provider give any rationale behind their opinion that you will be found fit? My read of DoDI 6130.03 Vol 2 and the USAF Medical Standards Directory (not sure of your service component) make it seem that retention is unlikely. Check out DoDI 6130.03 Vol 2, paragraph 5.26(k):
Epilepsy. This condition is not compatible with retention and the Service should initiate
appropriate medical and personnel actions upon diagnosis. Paragraph 5.26.a does not apply.
I am being told that if medication (Keppra) stops the seizures, then i will be able to be returned to duty. Of course it was only my PCM who told me this.

One can not meet medical standards and still be returned to duty during the PEB phase Unlike the MEB phase the PEB considers non-medical factors like commander input, duty performance member preference, needs of the service....

Thanks for your reply. I definitely have some reading and learning to do regarding MEB vs. PEB. Next step for me hopefully is meeting with my flight surgeon on Monday.

Update: my IRILO came back with a "return to service" result. I'll probably need an annual reevaluation for waiver purposes but otherwise I'm good to go.

Update: my IRILO came back with a "return to service" result. I'll probably need an annual reevaluation for waiver purposes but otherwise I'm good to go.
I was medically retired with the same condition except I am still taking medication and still have minor seizures. I also believe it has to do with your job. I was a fuel system maintainer AF.

Update: I had my EEG reviewed and "confirmed" with Epilepsy in February. I was on Keppra, Topamax, And now Depakote with no changes in frequency to the seizures. My Peblo reached out to me at the end of Feb 2023. My commander impact statement was submitted last week. I guess now all i can do is wait.