EPTS Pes Planus(Flat Foot) for ratings

haroldwren

Registered Member
My MEB result came back and the bilateral Pes Planus was found permanently aggravated by service(EPTS condition). On MEPS initial physical exam, it said I had asymptomatic moderate flat feet. Does anyone know how this EPTS condition will affect VA ratings? Will they deduct 10%(rating for moderate) if the condition is found severe and rated at 30%?
Thank you

It looks like there is no set deduction.. it depends on how much aggravation occurred in service. I got this from www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com :

Service-aggravated conditions are not necessarily given the full rating and compensation that would usually be given to the same condition if it were not an EPTS or genetic condition. Instead, it will be compensated for how much it was changed by military service.

For an EPTS condition, the Rating Authorities will review the medical records of the condition at the time the service member entered the military. They will then use the laws of the VASRD to decide what rating the condition would have received at that time if it had been rated. They will then look at the current condition and decide what rating it would be given as is. The first rating is then subtracted from the current rating to find a rating that reflects how much the EPTS condition worsened over the course of military service. This rating is then the official rating assigned for the EPTS condition.

Thanks for the reply. I searched on the forum, there are some cases that EPTS Pes Planus were deducted 10%. However, since the condition is asymptomatic at the time of entrance to military, I'm wondering if there is a chance to argue that according to VASRD, the original condition should be 0%?

On militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com, Moderate Pes Planus is "A 10% rating is given if there is pain that cannot be relieved by inserts. Often there is also bowing of the Achilles tendon and weight-bearing over the big toe instead of throughout the entire foot. This 10% is given if one or both feet have it."

As there was no pain before the military, can I argue that it should be 0%?

I would think so... If their was no pain or other symptoms before. Just depends on what the VASRD would rate 0 vs. 10%

To make it more muddy the VASRD also states: Flat foot can only be rated if it occurred over time (and is often the result of exercise or other service-connected activities) and causes pain, deformities or any limitation in function.
So its hard to say without experiencing city myself or knowing anyone personally that has.

To make it more muddy the VASRD also states: Flat foot can only be rated if it occurred over time (and is often the result of exercise or other service-connected activities) and causes pain, deformities or any limitation in function.
So its hard to say without experiencing city myself or knowing anyone personally that has.

Sorry... I meant it. Not city

Yeah, I probably would just wait for the result. All the waiting makes my nervous. It's good that the forum provides a platform to talk. :)