Fabvorable Notification

Babs77

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Today my lawyer received notification of a favorable decision from the ALJ. I have not yet asked my lawyer what the next step is. Can anyone clue me in to what happens next and what I may expect for timelines?

Go to the myssa website and create an account then login. You should be able to see the award letter there.

I checked..... I have an account, but there is no update on there yet. It says that "a medical decision has been made. We are working to process your decision. A SS rep may contact you or your appointed rep directly if we need any additional documents or information." So, I think we are waiting for the system to catch up to the information that has been sent to my lawyer. I know things have moved forward and we are approved, I was wondering about what happens next. I have not had a chance to speak directly with my lawyer today.

My husband was approved for SSDI under the Compassionate Allowance List within 3 weeks of handing over records to the local office. His case was approved on April 14th and we received 2 months worth of back pay that appeared in our checking account on April 17th. MySSA showed the notification of benefits immediately once he was approved and the USPS mail came a week later. It's different from your situation (no ALJ for us) but I think the compensation process is the same either way, if that's what you're wondering about.

After my favorable letter, I called SSA and was told there's a 60 day allowance for processing the award and establishing pay and backpay. My backpay and payment came within 45 days of the award letter.

It was worth calling ahead and establishing direct deposit, otherwise payments (even a significant backpay check) come through the mail without any signatures required on delivery.

You will likely receive a check within two months. Congratulations of a favorable decision.