Factor V

Anthrax shots received, years later have Massive pulmonary embolism. Healthy, no family history, active, no recent surgeries or trips. The more I look the more I find Veterans that were given the Anthrax vaccine have this happen. Sad, really.

I got all 6 Anthrax shots when my ship was in the Persian Gulf and am now on Coumadin for life. I had several pulmonary embolisms in 2001. The Dr. at the Mayo Clinic said they were the biggest blood clots he'd ever seen.

I have a genetic disorder called Factor V Leiden which increases my chances of getting blood clots. I strongly suspect the Anthrax vaccine had an adverse effect on people with Factor V Leiden. Several service members who received the Anthrax vaccine and have Factor V Leiden have reported very large, and multiple, pulmonary embolisms.

I have seen people with Factor V rated under this code:

"7121 Post-phlebitic syndrome of any etiology:

With the following findings attributed to venous disease:

Massive board-like edema with constant pain at rest 100

Persistent edema or subcutaneous induration, stasis pigmentation or
eczema, and persistent ulceration 60

Persistent edema and stasis pigmentation or eczema, with or without
intermittent ulceration 40

Persistent edema, incompletely relieved by elevation of extremity,
with or without beginning stasis pigmentation or eczema 20

Intermittent edema of extremity or aching and fatigue in leg after
prolonged standing or walking, with symptoms relieved by
elevation of extremity or compression hosiery 10

Asymptomatic palpable or visible varicose veins 0"

The thing to remember is that the military does not rate on the condition, but rather disability caused by the condition. You have to look at what the blood clotting disorder results in. If you have clots that causes you limitations it will be the result of the clot (whether it is injury to the vessels, stroke causing cogntive or other problems, etc.). The correct rating will depend on how the condition impacts you.

Is there a chance that the Navy would find someone fit who was referred to a med board for a pulmonary embolism and diagnosed with Factor V Leiden? I was sent to an LDES med board while I was still in A school shortly after boot camp.
Originally I was found unfit with no service connection/aggravation. I’d like to appeal to the FPEB for service connection but I definitely don’t want to end up having them find me fit for some reason.

Is there a chance that the Navy would find someone fit who was referred to a med board for a pulmonary embolism and diagnosed with Factor V Leiden? I was sent to an LDES med board while I was still in A school shortly after boot camp.
Originally I was found unfit with no service connection/aggravation. I’d like to appeal to the FPEB for service connection but I definitely don’t want to end up having them find me fit for some reason.

Not likely. NAVY typically finds coagulation disabilities unfitting. There are quite a few discussion threads on here regarding Factor V.

Just to be clear... I wasn't separated because I have Factor V Leiden. I was medically discharged because I chose to follow my doctor's advice and take Coumadin (blood thinners) for the rest of my life. I've been out for over 16 years so plenty of things have probably changed since then but when I was on active duty they didn't seem too concerned at all that I had Factor V Leiden... they were only concerned about me because I had an episode of pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in the lungs).

I think that if I had made the decision to NOT take Coumadin I probably could have stayed in the Navy and finished my 20 but I don't know that for sure.

I believe the Navy standards for Factor V Leiden to considered a coagulation defect and permanently disqualifying. There is language about a waiver in the MANMED and it reads: History of deep venous thrombosis is disqualifying. Waivers may be considered for uncomplicated cases after completion of anti-coagulation therapy and 6 months without recurrence off medication. Cases complicated by pulmonary embolism or predisposing coagulation disorder (Protein S or Protein C deficiency, Factor V Leiden, etc.) will not be considered for waiver.

I believe the Navy standards for Factor V Leiden to considered a coagulation defect and permanently disqualifying. There is language about a waiver in the MANMED and it reads: History of deep venous thrombosis is disqualifying. Waivers may be considered for uncomplicated cases after completion of anti-coagulation therapy and 6 months without recurrence off medication. Cases complicated by pulmonary embolism or predisposing coagulation disorder (Protein S or Protein C deficiency, Factor V Leiden, etc.) will not be considered for waiver.
Thank you that is very helpful. It sounds like my case is something that would be permanently disqualifying so it is highly unlikely they find me fit.

Thank you. Would you mind directing me to the document where it states that?

I found this one: https://www.med.navy.mil/directives/Pub/MANMED CHANGE 136.pdf
but it’s specifically only discussing for submarine duty, not general Naval service.

Just to be clear... I wasn't separated because I have Factor V Leiden. I was medically discharged because I chose to follow my doctor's advice and take Coumadin (blood thinners) for the rest of my life. I've been out for over 16 years so plenty of things have probably changed since then but when I was on active duty they didn't seem too concerned at all that I had Factor V Leiden... they were only concerned about me because I had an episode of pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in the lungs).

I think that if I had made the decision to NOT take Coumadin I probably could have stayed in the Navy and finished my 20 but I don't know that for sure.

Ah, makes sense. I just want to make sure I get out at this point. my doctor put me on Apixaban and, even though I had a Pulmonary embolism, told me I probably won’t have to take it for life unless I have a second occurrence. I’m still on Apixaban for several more months and biannual ultrasounds.

Not to chide, but I am....the original post had a last response in 2017. It is best to open your own posts to get better answers to questions (this is not only meant to respond to you, but, to just make a point for future folks with questions).

You did not state dates so I am not sure how to answer directly. But, you mentioned that you would "like to appeal the FPEB," so I assume this is a current in time issue. The facts are really important here. Remember that the standard for folks on active duty orders for 30 days or more is that the military has to show by "clear and unmistakable evidence" that your condition was neither incurred nor service aggravated. Given the genetic nature of the condition, seems likely they may be able to prevail on showing it was incurred prior to service. However, I also see a very hard road for them showing that it was not service aggravated. You passed a MEPS exam, had no problems with that, shipped to boot camp, and then developed problems.

A return to duty finding seems very unlikely.

Best of luck.