Fast Approval for CRSC, now I have to do the math.

Lineman

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I finally got past the anxiety of submitting my application to the Air Force and got everything turned in on November 4, 2019. I received approval at 70% yesterday December 2, 2019. Here is some history about my claim because I am confused on the math for figuring out what the monthly amount will be.

I was medically retired in 1995 at 50% TDRL and after one year given permanently retired at 30%
I was retired at E-5
I had 9 years 19 days all active duty
My top three is $1,441
VA rating is now at 100% paid with spouse at $3,227.58 per month
CRSC was approved for 70%
I waived my DFAS retirement pay for my VA pay after my first approved claim with the VA in 1995 although only a portion of the DFAS pay was able to be waived because of the smaller amount granted from the VA. In 2009 my VA rating was increased to 50% and the rest of my DFAS retirement was waived because my VA pay went up.

I am not clear on how DFAS will figure out what my monthly should be. First I calculated it using the gross pay amount from my DFAS RAS from 1995. Second I did a calculation using my top three. It was less than the first calculation. I have a sinking feeling that the second calculation using my top three is the one I need to use. What is the correct formula?

My CRSC letter shows that it is granted at 10% from November 2013 to March 2018 and then increased to a combined rating of 70% from March 2018 to present. Where does COLA fit into this? If my CRSC is based on my top three from 1993 to 1995, does the rate of CRSC using the numbers from when I initially retired carry forward to 2013 which is as far back as they will go for back pay or does the CRSC amount get increased each year for the COLA. I know that my gross pay shown on my DFAS RAS shows an increase each year we get a COLA increase even though I do not receive any of my gross pay because my VA pay is higher.

I would appreciate any help that is offered in helping me understand how this should work. I will keep everyone posted on the time line for when I will see the first monthly payment as well as back pay timelines.

Thank you,

Lineman

Hello Lineman,

You will need your high three.

Here is how you can determine your high three for current CRSC purposes and determine the current rate of CRSC:

1. Even though you might not receive any retired pay at this time due to the VA offset, at least one DFAS RAS is produced each year when a COLA increase occurs, usually for 1-31 December.

2. Review your most current DFAS RAS (either for 2018 or the one that will be produced this month) and take the gross retired pay in the upper left column and divide that amount by the DoD (not VA) disability percentage. The result will provide the current high three and include the increases via COLA. (Note: In a few cases the longevity percentage is higher than the DoD disability percentage; in those rare cases for CH 61 retirees, the longevity percentage should be used.)

3. EXAMPLE using random numbers: GROSS from RAS = 3000; DoD disability percentage 60%.
3000/0.60 = 5000 high three

4. Next you would determine the multiplier for longevity. This would be number of active duty years x 2.5% = longevity multiplier
EXAMPLE using random numbers: 10 years 3 months active duty x 0.025 results in 10.25 x 0.025 = 25.6% longevity multiplier

5. Your CRSC would be the lesser of the amount determined by:
--The approved CRSC percentage (by your service) x high three determined as shown at item 3.
or--
The longevity portion of retirement which is longevity multiplier (see item 4) x high three

6. Note: If you have any residual retired pay from the VA offset, it could reduce the amount of CRSC determined at item 5. The combination of CRSC plus residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion amount.

Good luck,
Ron

Ron,

Thank you for the information. I need to get my new password from DFAS so it may be a few days for them to mail it to me. I don't remember going electronic with mypay but I also am not able to find last years DFAS RAS. Just drawing a blank right now. I will have to go home and go through everything in the file cabinet. Hopefully my wife will remember if we got a current one and where it is.

Thanks again,

Lineman

Ron,

Thank you for the information. I need to get my new password from DFAS so it may be a few days for them to mail it to me. I don't remember going electronic with mypay but I also am not able to find last years DFAS RAS. Just drawing a blank right now. I will have to go home and go through everything in the file cabinet. Hopefully my wife will remember if we got a current one and where it is.
Thanks again,
Lineman
I haven't looked at my RAS in years. All my retired pay is replaced by CRSC.

I am confident you can find a way into MyPay.

Ron

I just looked at MyPay.

Forgot your Login ID?
Forgot or Need a Password?

Options available on first page.

Ron

added:
30) What can I do if I forget my Login ID?
There is a “Forgot Your Login ID” link on the home page. When you click on it, you will be shown instructions to retrieve your Login ID. You will be asked to enter your email address that is registered with myPay and your Social Security Number to have your Login ID emailed to you. If you do not have a registered email address, you will be asked for your Social Security Number and Password to have your Login ID displayed on the screen.

Forgot or Need a Password
USE THIS PROCESS if you have lost, do not remember or have not received a Password. This process will determine if you can reset your Password online by answering established Security Questions for Password resets, or if we can email or mail a new temporary Password.
THIS PROCESS WILL VOID YOUR CURRENT PASSWORD.

Ron, I am stuck I think because I don't remember my login or password and the email that they would have on file is no longer valid for me because we moved out to the sticks and do not have access to that internet provider anymore. I remember about 5 years ago i was on the DFAS site and was able to check on my pay. If they were to resend the information to the old email it would get kicked back. I guess with internet security concerns the safest way is to send the password through the US mail. You would think that the Department of Defense would have a faster method with today's technology. I am planning on looking through my files when I get home. i appreciate your help.

Lineman

The MyPay page provides options you can take.

1. There is a “Forgot Your Login ID” link on the home page. When you click on it, you will be shown instructions to retrieve your Login ID. You will be asked to enter your email address that is registered with myPay and your Social Security Number to have your Login ID emailed to you. If you do not have a registered email address, you will be asked for your Social Security Number and Password to have your Login ID displayed on the screen.

2. If you do not know your password, or you have not received it, or have an expired or suspended temporary or customized Password, you can reset your myPay Password online by correctly replying to 3 of the 8 Security Questions you set up after clicking on the “Forgot or Need a Password” link on the myPay home page.

If you have not set up the Security Questions, or if you fail to correctly answer the questions, you may request to have a new temporary Password sent to you.
Security restrictions allow Passwords to be emailed only to addresses that have been pre-registered from the appropriate administrator or to a personal email address you provided previously in myPay.

If you do not have a pre-registered email address, you can request that a Password be mailed to you. The new temporary Password will be mailed to your address of record in your pay system. Password letters will be mailed within two business days. Delivery time will vary based upon your location and postal service volume. If you do not receive your Password letter within ten business days, please verify your mailing address with your pay system.
If we cannot email or mail a new temporary Password to you, the screen will display other procedures for obtaining a new Password.
If you need additional assistance with obtaining a Password, please contact the Customer Support Unit Toll Free at 1-888-DFAS411 or 1-888-332-7411, Commercial 216-522-5096 or Defense Switching Network (DSN) at 580-5096.

Comment.

I have dozens of Internet passwords and logins.

I have had to request both on several occasions.

Recommend obtaining a login first; then...move to obtaining a password.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I was able to find my December 2018 RAS. My wife directed me to the folder in the file cabinet. Funny how I spent time looking for something that I swear was not there and it was right in front of me. I'd be lost without her.

I came up with the following:

According to the gross pay in the column on the RAS it is $687 ($687 is the only gross pay listed on the RAS that I could see)
My DOD medical retirement was at 30%
$687 / .30 = $2,290 High Three

9 years and 19 days active duty.
9 years x 2.5% =0.225 (22.5%)

CRSC 70% x $2290 = $1,603
or
.225 x $2290 = $515.25

$515.25 should be my CRSC amount I receive each month once DFAS gets me on a payment schedule.

Based on my gross pay I show on the RAS and my information given do my calculations look right?

Thank you for your patience on helping me.

Lineman

Lineman (and spouse),

Congrats on finding the RAS.

The mechanics of your computation are accurate.

One of the benefits of having the gross pay provided by DFAS is that it includes COLA increases since your retirement.

You mentioned, "My CRSC letter shows that it is granted at 10% from November 2013 to March 2018 and then increased to a combined rating of 70% from March 2018 to present. Where does COLA fit into this? " DFAS will do the same type of computation and comparison for the retro period. The high three for earlier years will be less since certain COLAs would not have been applied. Also, you might receive CRSC @ 10% for November 2013 to March 2018.

Nice job on your part; it was a pleasure to work with you. It would be helpful to others if you report the results of DFAS actions later.

Regards,
Ron

Edited to add:
Recommend you take action to regain access to MyPay. Your CRSC statements will appear there.

December 5, 2019

I found on MyPay:
New DFAS eRAS, dtd 3 Dec 19, showing the new retired pay (eff 1-31 Dec 19)--all waived in my situation.
Old CRSC Statement for 1-30 Nov 19: likely to be updated around the 19th of December for CRSC 1-31 December 2019.

Ron

Ron,

We really appreciate your help. It is awesome what you do for everyone on this site. I will definitely post updates on this site so hopefully it will help others navigate through the process. The process of applying was a little intimidating at first because it involved a lot of information that I had to put together. My claim involved Gulf War presumptive items so that in itself can get confusing depending on how the VA has them rated. I am so glad that I finally did file for CRSC. I had a VSO for help when I filed with the VA and that was a whole other process. My VSO was not very familiar with the CRSC process so I did not have help on the claim. I would be happy to share what I have learned about filing my claim. I am no expert by any means but just knowing that others have been through this can be helpful.

I am definitely going to get the MyPay connection reestablished and kept current because I will be dealing with DFAS now and in this day and age email and the internet are the way to go.

Thanks again,

Lineman