Fibromyalgia and Myofascial pain syndrome

Amygal82

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome, and upper back/neck pain. I cannot find anything at all on Myofascial pain syndrome. The doctors all told me they are two different things and I have both, but I cannot find anything under the ratings...

Any one have both? Or even either one.

They are both rated under Fibromyalgia. Look up the VASRD and hit "CTRL + F" and type in fibro. To the best of my knowledge they will be rated as one thing. It's important that your doctor notes widespread, above and below the waist. The details are in the VASRD.

Two of my off base doctors noted all of that in their notes, my neurologist(civilian) and rheumatologist(civilian). But my Rheumatologist said they are two different desiease and that I had both...

Two of my off base doctors noted all of that in their notes, my neurologist(civilian) and rheumatologist(civilian). But my Rheumatologist said they are two different desiease and that I had both...

I have both of the conditions plus was recently diagnosed with Degenerative Disk Disease of the cervical spine, Disk degenerative at C4/5, and degenerative arthritis of the neck, with decreased mobility and along with that straightening of the curve of my spine. Those were all found by the VA exam for my board.

The myo and fibro and kinda two different conditions relating to the same thing. My Rheumo said that myo is in 1-2 sectors of the body meaning upper left and right side and fibro is 3-4 sectors of the body with upper left and right side along with lower left and/or right side.

The way is was explained to me is that these are a general diagnosis in nature because the underlying condition has not yet been found. It just took me 2 years to start getting answers and the Rheumo said there is still other stuff unfound because the DDD and stuff doesnt explain everything.

Pain is a very complex area to diagnosis because it can be so many things. Have you had xrays, mri's, etc.? I see a medical massage doctor in the pain rehab clinic, it is only a temp relief but it is better than nothing. I know it can be a pain. I just got PEB started in Jan 2011 when this started in June 2009.

Natalie

I have the same issues. I also have bone spurs growing, a couple torn dics, spondylosis, stenosis and like a dozen bulging discs. I was getting spinal epidurals, that did not help. I now get triggerpoint injections and cortizone injections. I don't know about the sector thing. I just have most of the trigger points, including top half and bottom half as required. Most of my problems occur between my shoulder blades and rt side of neck- where I have the Myofascial pain.

Why have you been waiting so long for your PEB results? Since January, really? Mine was submitted 4 May and I was told 60 days...

I also recently got diagnosed with PTSD. Need to figure out if I need it added or not.

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome, and upper back/neck pain. I cannot find anything at all on Myofascial pain syndrome. The doctors all told me they are two different things and I have both, but I cannot find anything under the ratings...

Any one have both? Or even either one.

Hello, I was just wondering what kind of percentage did you get??? I have been diagnosed with both fibro and myo and also osteoarthritis in both knees. just waiting on the percentage for my medboard from Ft. Lewis.

I was offered 40% TDRL. I went to my med board and was awarded 60% PDRL. I should have received 75% PDRL, however, was told my migraines would not be counted seperate from my fibro and was told my doctor did not fill out the "correct" paperwork to have my PTSD included.

I did not take the 40% TDRL, because fibro is very subjective and it could have been dropped to 20%, nothing for 12 years of service. They also included my spinal problems and nerve issues by going to the MEB...

I was retired 2 months after my hearing. My VA claim was submitted Jan 2012 ans I am still waiting on that. My SSDI was denied. Even though there are people with less issues approved, and I do have enough points since I was working since I was 15 and in the air force since I was 17. But I believe it was denied due to my age.

Congrats on your percentages AmyGallay do you plan to reapply for ssdi again?

Thanks! I'm not sure. I am told it is difficult to get approved the first time, but with all the documentaion, I don't understand how I was disapproved. I really think it is my age, because I was told I had enough points.

It can't hurt to apply again. I heard most are not approved the first time but are the second time around. Even though it shouldn't matter, the age could be held against you, but the facts are the facts. How much did you get for just the Fibromyalgia?

40% for the Fibro. 30% for cervical DDD-due to MRIs showing ddd, stenosis, spodyliosis, and my ROM. 10% for thoracic radiculapathy.

I don't know how to go about applying for a second time. Do you?

40% for the Fibro. 30% for cervical DDD-due to MRIs showing ddd, stenosis, spodyliosis, and my ROM. 10% for thoracic radiculapathy.

I don't know how to go about applying for a second time. Do you?
The denial should list how to do a reconsideration. I think you have 60 days to file. If they deny after the reconsideration you could appeal to the ALJ (Judge).

Numbers I have seen floating around are less than 50% are approved initially. Out of those who complete the reconsideration and appeal roughly 70% of those applicants are awarded benefits. If you are willing to use all levels of appeal you have over a 70% chance of being approved.

The decisions don't always make sense, but many factors come into play. Check out the SSDI section of the forum.

I here the same thing about the majority if not all first attempts are denied. At Ft. Hood we have a representative who comes down every Tuesday and present a class on SSDI. She further assist soldiers in preparing the forms. I would suggest that you look into attending an SFAC (Soldier and Family Assistance Center) near you to help address your concern. But, we as soldiers should be familiar with hurry up and wait. Meaning in all things, hope for the best but prepare yourself for the worst. In closing, keep fighting the good fight to get what your entitled and ask specific questions to get help or referred to a source that can help. Good Luck

I was offered 40% TDRL. I went to my med board and was awarded 60% PDRL. I should have received 75% PDRL, however, was told my migraines would not be counted seperate from my fibro and was told my doctor did not fill out the "correct" paperwork to have my PTSD included.

This is interesting, because I was only offered 20% in 2002. Since, I had little ones and my stress level was through the roof due to my constant pain, exhaustion and frustrating from not being able to perform like I had wanted to my marriage was suffering as well. So, I took the 20% because at that point my husband said he could not take it anymore. My command and NCO's were very supportive and concerned because they knew that it wasn't me. My condition magically appeared after a flu shot within just a few short months. I was diagnosed with 15/18 pressure points, myofacial, chronic migraines, asthma, IBS and mild disk degenerative disease. I had gone through x-rays, MRI's, nerve studies, physical therapy and twice I was bed ridden because my neck locked up twice during arm and shoulder rotations. Diagnosis suspected by general practitioner, referred to orthopedic and then to rheumatologist where they confirmed and gave me my official diagnosis of fibromyalgia. My MEB is in the decision stage in PDBR.

I also had anxiety from the pain and stress from the MEB. How is it interesting that I was offered a higher percentage, just because I don't have children? I didn't have a husband to wash my hair, when my arm was numb and I couldn't lift it. Or to tie my shoes when I couldn't bend over due to back and neck pain. Or someone to hold my hand when I was getting monthly trigger point injections (dozens) and spinal epidurials. Being single didn't make my pain any easier.

I wish your husband would have been more patient for you. As your decision is forever, and ia quicker decision wouldn't solve anything with your pain.

Why were you getting the flu shot and not the mist? The shot is not a live for of the vaccine, as the mist is.

I think sontimes the percentages are not only based on quality of life, but also on how much of your job- day to day and deployment- you can no longer perform. I was had 12 years in since age 17, 3 deployments, had 15 metals and ribbons, and was 2 classes away from the commissioning program. So I think they saw me as a lifer...

How did you get a rating offer 11 years ago if it is just now in PDBR?

having fibromyalgia and all the symptoms associated with it can make living a hassle from day to day. especially when the weather changes, it rains, exposed to an air condition, excess physical activities, stress and etc... still awaiting my 199 but, i recieved my proposed ratings from the va and saw their rating scheme only had 2 percentages a 0% and 10%. needless to say i was rated 0% and the next higher rating of 10% that explains my situation to a t was somehow overlooked. i certainly plan to appeal or ask for the 1 time va reconsideration. hope all goes well for you jlohrke and things has gotten better with your family situation. it is funny how alot of people in general but especially the medical field has the slightest clue on how fibromyalgia affects ones lifestyle. as for me i have a lifetime to obtain more knowledge on my condition and meanwhile learn not to allow everything to stress me out. as i move onedaycloser to understanding my condition and making changes to a more rewarding life.

I also had anxiety from the pain and stress from the MEB. How is it interesting that I was offered a higher percentage, just because I don't have children? I didn't have a husband to wash my hair, when my arm was numb and I couldn't lift it. Or to tie my shoes when I couldn't bend over due to back and neck pain. Or someone to hold my hand when I was getting monthly trigger point injections (dozens) and spinal epidurials. Being single didn't make my pain any easier.

I wish your husband would have been more patient for you. As your decision is forever, and ia quicker decision wouldn't solve anything with your pain.

Why were you getting the flu shot and not the mist? The shot is not a live for of the vaccine, as the mist is.

I think sontimes the percentages are not only based on quality of life, but also on how much of your job- day to day and deployment- you can no longer perform. I was had 12 years in since age 17, 3 deployments, had 15 metals and ribbons, and was 2 classes away from the commissioning program. So I think they saw me as a lifer...

How did you get a rating offer 11 years ago if it is just now in PDBR?

I have been out since 2002. The PDBR is the physical disability board review that is reviewing my MEB process. I fell within that period of time where they were not rating according to the VARSD when the regulations said to. Needless to say, that husband has been my ex husband since 2007. Had I known that we would have eventually divorced anyways, I would have appealed. As for the mist versus the flu shot. I never get a flu vaccine. I do not believe in them and that was the only time I ever had gotten sick during a flu season. I was stationed in Wiesbaden, GE and the flu shot was the military ordered flu shot. My command had ordered me to take a weeks worth of leave because I was so exhausted and worn out that they could tell it was very difficult for me. I had an extreme raspy voice 24/7 and after 9/11, we were pulling 24hr staff duty and fire guard duty 3-4 times a week and as you know no sleep has a very debilitating affect on fibromyalgia patients.

I hope your condition improves. You have a battle ahead of you. Good luck! Do lots of research and learn everything you can about what diet you should stick to and so on. So many foods make the condition worse.

good luck too you as well and thanks for the good insight concerning diet. speaking of sleep issues i have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and require a cpap. believe it or not, the va is still failing to rate conditions according to the varsd in 2013. i hope to their benefit their not doing it on purpose but, just making mistakes from time to time. i am extremely tired and frustrated with the med board process. considering, i am in wtb, i plan to appeal my 199 if need be. had i still been in my old unit, i believe i would just accept whatever offered and dealt with it on the civilian side.