Fighting the Good Fight with the VA

cld6gc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good Afternoon,

Got a couple VA ratings I am trying get percentages to. My grandfather is a retired USAF SMst during Vietnam. He won his appeal with the VA over diabetes being service connect due to Agent Orange exposure recently but was awarded 40% so 10% short of receiving any back pay. We are arguing that his 20% diabetes rating should be 40% and that with his neuropathy in his feet would push him over the 50% but he also had a detached retina due to retinopathy that is caused because of diabetes. My question, is there a rating for retinopathy or detached retina? In the CFR I cannot find a rating schedule for those conditions or better yet does anybody have a rating for these conditions as secondary to diabetes?

Thanks

Good Afternoon,

Got a couple VA ratings I am trying get percentages to. My grandfather is a retired USAF SMst during Vietnam. He won his appeal with the VA over diabetes being service connect due to Agent Orange exposure recently but was awarded 40% so 10% short of receiving any back pay. We are arguing that his 20% diabetes rating should be 40% and that with his neuropathy in his feet would push him over the 50% but he also had a detached retina due to retinopathy that is caused because of diabetes. My question, is there a rating for retinopathy or detached retina? In the CFR I cannot find a rating schedule for those conditions or better yet does anybody have a rating for these conditions as secondary to diabetes?

Thanks
One is diabetic nephropathy. It was added to my 20% rating for diabetes (from exposure to AO in Vietnam).

38 CFR § 4.119 - Schedule of ratings - endocrine system.
7913 Diabetes mellitus:
Note (1): Evaluate compensable complications of diabetes separately unless they are part of the criteria used to support a 100-percent evaluation. Noncompensable complications are considered part of the diabetic process under DC 7913.

Ron

Detached Retina is at 6008 and it is rated between two different systems of measurement; Visual Impairment or Incapacitating Episodes. The higher of the two will be the awarded percentage.

This site breaks it all down fairly nicely:

Thank you for the information